PDA

View Full Version : EA and NFL Ink Exclusive Licensing Agreement

GamerGuyX
12-13-04, 09:47 PM
READ (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/13/news_6114977.html) just read.

God I don't even know what to say! I'm speechless! :afraid:

XP_GUN
12-13-04, 09:56 PM
How the hell did they do that..... :afraid:

I donít know whatís going to happen but I know that they other companies wonít go down without a fight. I will say that must have been a pretty penny.

LiquidX
12-13-04, 10:02 PM
Terrible for console gamers. It's a real shame EA and especially NFL would do this. Most think Madden is better but I have always preferd the Sega 2K series and this will be a big blow to them. Never thought I would boycott a publisher over morals and I even laughed when I saw some make posts on doing so but I will not buy another Madden NFL title as long as EA and the NFL have a exclusive deal. They have pretty much driven all competition out of the field. Just imagine one team running around catching there own passes and tackling each other. The 2K series challenged EA to make changes and actully try to re-work the Madden series instead of the same rehash, now we can say thats a thing of the pass.

LiquidX
12-13-04, 10:04 PM
I also hope Sega and VC sue them although I doubt they have the money or legal grounds. No wonder MS and Sega dropped their sports line-up. Damn bastards.

GamerGuyX
12-13-04, 10:07 PM
You know what sucks even more! Now EA and other companies are going to be fighting over the MLB, NHL, NBA licenses! This is so bull****! :mad: (po)

Whats next!?! What? Are they going to try and buy the FPS, RTS, RPG and other genres too? :banghead:

YOGIx213
12-13-04, 11:09 PM
This totally sucks. I don't have an X-Box but heard good things about nfl2k5. Since I own only a PC, I've been playing Madden but had hoped that with competition from nfl2k5, they would improve upon their graphics and gameplay. Now this will give EA the assurance that they will have a monopoly on the sport and will shove us with refresh games year in, year out. I hope that's not the case but I wouldn't doubt it.

lognoronon
12-14-04, 02:27 AM
EA can bite me. They were mad that a good quality game selling cheap forced them to lower the price on their rehashed POS series. Now there is no chance in hell of not getting fed BS from them. Oh heres Madden 06 and we have now added the current rosters so enjoy the updated rosters for $50.

jAkUp
12-14-04, 02:32 AM
Unbelievable, complete B.S. I have to say that this is pretty upsetting. I'm not even a huge NFL gaming fan, but the gamers lose here. I think EA is getting too big for their own good.

|MaguS|
12-14-04, 04:01 AM
You know what sucks even more! Now EA and other companies are going to be fighting over the MLB, NHL, NBA licenses! This is so bull****! :mad: (po)

Whats next!?! What? Are they going to try and buy the FPS, RTS, RPG and other genres too? :banghead:

Haha! Soccer is safe!

BTW can't only blame EA, the NFL is what owns the rights to teams and player names. They are the ones who signed the deal... they are as bad as EA.

I know your last sentance was sarcasm but its not possible to buy them since they are genre's, not licensed "stuff" (sorry forgot the word, 4am and all).

jAkUp
12-14-04, 01:02 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/14/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/

Looks like they paid over 300 million for this

stncttr908
12-14-04, 01:26 PM
$1B over 4 years apparently. This stinks like ****, because no one else could afford to pay that type of price. Boycott the Madden series entirely.

The deal, one EA admits to having lobbied for over the past few years, is an exclusive five-year licensing deal granting EA the sole rights to the NFL's teams, stadiums, and players. However, the publisher and Players Inc. denied a similar deal was in the works in May 2004, even requesting publications that ran the story run public retractions.
I hate Electronic Arts with a bitter passion. NFL 2K5 was a vastly superior game, so why not just buy out the competition?

|MaguS|
12-14-04, 01:39 PM
Because it would cost alot more to buy Sega/Sammy, They are worth alot more then One Billion.

stncttr908
12-14-04, 05:22 PM
Because it would cost alot more to buy Sega/Sammy, They are worth alot more then One Billion.
Well, yes, but I was referring to the football game market in a sarcastic manner. ;)

My brother made a good point. At least Sega can put out an NCAA football game to compete with EA's NCAA Football.

oldsk00l
12-14-04, 05:31 PM
EA stands for "Eternal Agony" at least to work for.

After reading "the blog" I will never buy another EA game.

YOGIx213
12-14-04, 06:41 PM
If ESPN/Sega can come out with an NCAA Football title for the PC, I will be all over it.

SElkie
12-16-04, 04:00 PM
ESPN/Sega can always bring back the XFL.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

I personally don't have a problem with this....yet...but if EA goes and wastes this opportunity by stagnating their Madden series then yes I will be quite upset.

0rk.p0rk
12-16-04, 09:29 PM
http://www.mslinn.com/Mgmt/Articles/monopoly/monopoly.com.jpg

jAkUp
12-16-04, 10:55 PM
Check out this petition... 11,000 signed!

http://www.petitiononline.com/nfleacon/

aaahhh52
12-17-04, 03:16 PM
Check out this petition... 11,000 signed!

http://www.petitiononline.com/nfleacon/

Over 12000 and growing, i signed last night. This is complete BS