PDA

View Full Version : Raid 0 getting a bad rap?

Iron1384
12-14-04, 11:13 AM
I've got a Seagate 120gb SATA hard drive, and i'm always running on very low freespace. I've been thinking about purchasing another Seagate drive for about $90 and starting a RAID 0 array. I've never done this before, and after browsing around, i've noticed many people saying that they are unstable and provide little to no performance gain. I think it would provide a very healthy boost in speed, but do any of you think setting up a Raid array is worth it? I'd especially appreciate hearing from those of you who have experience with a RAID 0 setup. Thanks.......... (cheers)

Riptide
12-14-04, 11:34 AM
Games won't run any faster.

Copying large groups of files or doing anything extremely disk intensive will receive a speed boost though. Compressing DVDs w/DVD2One was noticeably faster for me.

saturnotaku
12-14-04, 11:39 AM
If you're going to do RAID-0, you better have a third, separate hard drive to use as a backup for all your important data (in addition to having it burned onto CD/DVD). If there's any sort of data corruption/drive failure on your RAID-0 array, you're screwed. I've been down that road before, and for the marginal (at best) performance increase, the risks were simply not worth it.

PaiN
12-14-04, 11:53 AM
RAID 0's get no bad rap from me.....I've been using two(one for XP & apps and one for games) for along time and won't do without them ;)
Stability....they've been completely problem free. As for performance its true loads time won't change much for games....but wait until you "feel" XP on a fast RAID"0" :cool:

btw: like satun said....have a good backup plan for important data. There is an increased risk of failure because you'll have more than one drive

Riptide
12-14-04, 12:59 PM
I used to do tape back when I had SCSI. Now I've switched over to a portable USB drive. So much easier... I love my pocketec 30GB. :)

PaiN
12-14-04, 01:33 PM
I used to do tape back when I had SCSI. Now I've switched over to a portable USB drive. So much easier... I love my pocketec 30GB. :)
I used to back up to CDs, then DVDs, I finally bit the bullet and got a 160gb USB2.0 External HD ....what a pleasure to have :D

Riptide
12-14-04, 01:42 PM
Yep. It makes things SO much easier and faster (than tape).

Right now I just boot off a CD, load up Ghost, and then push an image out to my pocketec backup drive. With compression I can fit my 40GB worth of data on there with space to spare and it only takes about an hour to do it. What a piece of cake. :)

einstein_314
12-14-04, 03:39 PM
My Raid-0 hasn't given me anyproblems yet. I'm not sure how much of a performance gain it gives me cause I havn't benchied it but there is definately a gain. And of course, I back up every couple of days onto my 80GB drive cause you just never know.