PDA

View Full Version : Tim Sweeny Interview

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
12-14-04, 12:07 PM
http://www.gaminggroove.com/article.php?id=27

Here is a snippit:
Question 1: With hardware rendering speed growing at a rapid pace, how much of an extra strain is this putting on the art developers to keep up? Are there any unique custom tools that the latest Unreal Engine comes with that you are especially proud of?

Tim: Art requirements are going up dramatically with the coming generation. The content we're building in Unreal Engine 3 looks perhaps 10 times better than in the previous generation, but it's taking 3-4 times longer to model such high-polygon objects. Our art requirements are approaching what you see in movies; they are perhaps a factor of 4 lower right now, but in the two previous generations our detail was tens and hundreds of times lower!

Most development studios already have a 2-to-1 ratio of artists to programmers. I expect this ratio to continue to grow.

nVidi0t
12-14-04, 03:19 PM
Thanks man. I cant wait to see what the future holds for us gamers.

Gaco
12-14-04, 03:32 PM
Great stuff... (xmasmile)

Vagrant Zero
12-14-04, 03:32 PM
Awesome man, absolutely awesome. These are most interesting times we find ourselves in.

Intel17
12-17-04, 07:15 PM
Tim Sweeney owns.

He always answers all my emails and is nice about it.

He's also the person that i'd trust to take the lead of the industry once John "I love rockets more than making engines so D3 engine sucks" Carmack leaves.

Vagrant Zero
12-17-04, 11:01 PM
D3 engine sucks? I'd say it's easily the best engine out there today. Besides JC's been pushing the PC envelope for 15 odd years, he doesn't owe anyone anything.

jAkUp
12-18-04, 12:30 AM
Tim Sweeney owns.

He always answers all my emails and is nice about it.

He's also the person that i'd trust to take the lead of the industry once John "I love rockets more than making engines so D3 engine sucks" Carmack leaves.

Hehe :) Agreed, I wish Carmack would stay interested in making engines... not rockets :(

nutcrackr
12-18-04, 02:20 AM
More engines the merrier, tim sweeny and john carmack are awesome.

Intel17
12-18-04, 07:55 AM
Hehe :) Agreed, I wish Carmack would stay interested in making engines... not rockets :(

Yeah, every engine Carmack has made has pushed the industry forward, he's the guy saying "Look, here's how you do it".

Sweeney is awesome, but he just doesn't push the industry forward, possibly because Carmack gets there first...

However Carmack has told me that if graphics stay interesting in the next few years, and if there are more challenges to be solved, he'll be there :-)

WeReWoLf
12-19-04, 05:03 PM
Quick! Someone derive an equasion for dividing Shaders by Hard Lighting and Adding real-time CPU deductions with Sentient AI and run that through per pixel bump mapping. Then give it to carmack. He should have fun with that one!

Vagrant Zero
12-19-04, 05:45 PM
Quick! Someone derive an equasion for dividing Shaders by Hard Lighting and Adding real-time CPU deductions with Sentient AI and run that through per pixel bump mapping. Then give it to carmack. He should have fun with that one!

Or we could take his ferrari hostage and demand new engines. (xmasgrin)

Bad_Boy
12-19-04, 05:51 PM
i wish one day i can visit epic games :)
they are only about a hour or two away. (in raliegh, NC)

god, i would love to be a beta/bug tester for unreal engine 3 (xmastong)

Intel17
12-19-04, 06:08 PM
i wish one day i can visit epic games :)
they are only about a hour or two away. (in raliegh, NC)

god, i would love to be a beta/bug tester for unreal engine 3 (xmastong)

Lucky!

I am hoping I can get a job there one day...

pat777
12-19-04, 08:37 PM
I don't think Unreal 3 is living up to it's name. It looks too close to realism. (xmasgrin)

jAkUp
12-19-04, 10:03 PM
Myabe they should call it Real 3 instead ;)

Subtestube
12-19-04, 10:25 PM
Surely it should just be "Real". Being that it's the first of it's kind ;). Then they could release a toon shaded version and call THAT Unreal 3 :P

Blakhart
12-20-04, 04:01 PM
Nice that they push the envelope so I have to run their releases at 16bpp and all textures low/off to be competetive.

:D

WeReWoLf
12-20-04, 04:39 PM
Or we could take his ferrari hostage and demand new engines. (xmasgrin)

Maybe we should take his engine hostage and demand ferrarri's... (snowlol)

Intel17
12-20-04, 04:40 PM
Their Next game isn't called "Unreal 3".

oldsk00l
12-20-04, 05:21 PM
In fact I think NV40 class hardware is likely to make the MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS list too from the looks of the unrealengine 3 shots.

Mark Rein has been vocal in that they don't do much for tech demos and to expect similar content to appear in-game.

Toss3
12-22-04, 09:52 AM
I actually don't think the game looks that fantastic, and my opinion is only based on the screeshots I've seen. So the game itself could be better looking of course :). But at this time I for one don't think "unreal 3" looks real or even close to it :D. It looks almost like a mix between Hl2/doom3/hdr and alot of polygons :D. I really don't know much about game engines to begin with, so please bare in mind that this is only MY opinion :).
But wouldn't this game require high bandwith due to high res textures and high poly. models? and please laugh your ass of when you read this if you feel like it, but give me a quick breefing what this game would/wouldn't require ;)
so (xmassign2 to Yo All!

jolle
12-22-04, 10:39 AM
Well UE3.0 is building on the same principle carmack spoke of in early stages of Doom III engine, "smarter polygons instead of just more polygons".
That refers to the use of surface emulation such as bump, normal and Virtual Displacement maps to represent fine detail as opposed to doing it with raw polygons, which would cost alot more performance.
And something similar to the unified way of lighting and shadowing the map & things in it on a equal basis..
D3 was bashed alot for its "lower then avrage" diffusemap resolutions, but with the added layers of Normal/bump and specular maps, there is less room in ex 256Mb for diffuse maps.
Something that will be cought up with in time as hardware evolves.

The demoing of UE3.0 looks great, the content might not be equally high res on the first batch of games based on it, but should look stunning nevertheless.

I found Sweenys doubts on the future usefulnes of MSAA to be quite interesting.
Made me wonder if the next thing is low-medium resolution gaming with SSAA?
prolly not..

Subtestube
12-22-04, 02:50 PM
One thing we'll also (hopefully) see in UE3.0 and suchlike is the use of offset mapping and volumetric horizon map textures for self shadowing in bump maps. For anyone who hasn't seen them, I strongly recommend downloading Humus demo of them - the difference between them and standard normal mapping is startling.

jolle
12-22-04, 03:14 PM
got a good list o features here:
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

Offset mapping, parallax and Virtual Displacement are pretty much the same thing as I understand it.

Support for all modern per-pixel lighting and rendering techniques including normal mapped, parameterized Phong lighting; virtual displacement mapping; light attenuation functions; pre-computed shadow masks; and pre-computed bump-granularity self-shadowing using spherical harmonic maps.

Subtestube
12-22-04, 03:21 PM
Awesome! Yep, they are - I've done a fair bit of research into how it's all done, and all these things have multiple names. I'm very very happy to see self-shadowing in bumpmaps there, though virtual displacement mapping is probably more of a gain. The saddest thing is that the Far Cry engine already has offset mapping - it just doesn't use it. It's enough to make one very sad.

I'm really really interested to see when Unreal 3 actually gets released. I mean, I don't consider it a *huge* step forward in any particular tech region - just a very large one in bringing it all together. The question that I'd like to see answered, is how feasible it is/will be. Excellent stuff in any case.