Pages : [1] 2

k_ozz
12-14-04, 01:22 PM
Just noticed this on the STEAM website.

STEAM NEWS
LATEST VALVE NEWS

Steam Client Update Released
December 14, 2004, 10:57 am · valve

A platform update is available and will be applied automatically when Steam is restarted. The changes include:

Steam
Source MODs will now automatically appear in the games list
Improved startup process for Steam
Fixed crash when creating a backup that would span multiple DVDs
Fixed a bug that would unnecessarily validate Steam caches after a cache corruption
Fixed Condition Zero: Deleted Scenes and Codename Gordon failing to backup correctly
Fixed a bug where the message “the game files will be deleted and re-acquired” would repeat
Fixed offline mode failing after not connecting to Steam for more than a month

Half-Life 2
Optimization to the Steam filesystem to reduce game launch and level transition time

Source SDK
Simplified debug-launch process for MOD developers. MOD developers no longer need to place a config file in their directory
Added a registry key for MOD developers to use to locate a user’s Steam installation located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\SourceModIn stallPath

Superfly
12-14-04, 01:27 PM
nice update - like the shorter load times, still no fix for the stuttering in sight.....

I live in vague hope!!

jolle
12-14-04, 02:30 PM
the bit on "Source MODS" might hint to SvenCoop 2.0 nearing its first release..
read a bit on their site that they plan releasing a "lite" like version with the basic gameplay initially, instead of putting everything they plan in and then release it..
I think its a good idea, for a commercial game it would be bad but for a Mod I appriciate the decision.

Rakeesh
12-14-04, 03:30 PM
They didn't fix a single one of the three bugs (and these are very big bugs too) that are preventing me from playing HL2.

This is pretty annoying to have to wait to play a game that I bought nearly three weeks ago.

Doom 3 ran perfectly when I first played that, I didn't even need to wait for a single patch.

GamerGuyX
12-14-04, 04:14 PM
Can somebody please tell me whether or not the load times have indeed been shortened? I'm to lazy to check myself. :p

Superfly
12-14-04, 04:56 PM
no idea - been playin CS

monly
12-14-04, 05:07 PM
if they have been, it aint by much...not on my system anyway.

Morrow
12-15-04, 06:10 AM
Can somebody please tell me whether or not the load times have indeed been shortened? I'm to lazy to check myself. :p

I did not notice any improvement...

Rakeesh
12-15-04, 06:17 AM
I haven't seen any change at all over the last update. Which is gay considering that this game is still very broken.

saturnotaku
12-15-04, 07:04 AM
I haven't seen any change at all over the last update. Which is gay considering that this game is still very broken.

You know, you keep harping on "major bugs" in this game, but you've never actually ever bothered to tell us what those are. Care to clue us in so maybe we can check them out for ourselves and maybe there's a fix available by tweaking something that you haven't thought of?

Rakeesh
12-15-04, 07:12 AM
First is the stuttering bug, 'nuff said there.

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176516
Causes you to not hear anything unless you face straight at it. Goodbye single player and CS. Before anybody says anything about it being realtek, read the whole thread. There are complaints from pretty much all brands of cards.

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204843
This one kills DM.

The whole game is basically useless. All three of these issues are due to valves poor coding and are not fixable. And yes, I have tried all of the known tweaks for the stutter issue. Every other game I own works perfectly, including HL1 along with NS and CS, so it is definitely not related to my computer hardware.

Morrow
12-15-04, 08:02 AM
I don't think that it's really a secret that the Source engine is still flawed (notice I said "still", I have high hopes that valve will handle all the problems in due time!).

My two technical issues with HL2 are the well-known and widespread stuttering and the others not less known "cannot read memory" crashes. Both problems made my HL2 experience a mixed bag and it does not look like valve will have a fix for both available soon...

Ninjaman09
12-15-04, 09:15 AM
Causes you to not hear anything unless you face straight at it. Goodbye single player and CS. Before anybody says anything about it being realtek, read the whole thread. There are complaints from pretty much all brands of cards.
Have you tried using 2.1 or Headphones? It's not that bad. Having made the choice to use your onboard sound, you should be prepared to experience problems.

Stuttering bug, I don't know what to say. I've never had a problem with it and I don't understand what it is that people are talking about. It sounds to me like it's the user's hardware and not the game that is to blame, but that's because I have no idea what you're experiencing. Some people report sound stuttering during auto-saves and level loads, which is to be expected (and happens to me too), some people say it happens in certain spots, and other people say it just happens randomly. All people seem to have it happen far more frequently than I'm accustomed to seeing. I'm inclined to think this is a combination of poor hardware configuration/not enough RAM/trying to run the game in higher detail than your system can handle, but many of these people have sufficiently fast computers so I dunno. Another theory is that you're just being hypochondriacs.

This one kills DM.
Wow, that's really really wierd. I'm gonna have to say it's probably your system on this one, but then again, I have no idea why what you're describing is happening. First time I've heard anyone say anything about it though.

The whole game is basically useless. All three of these issues are due to valves poor coding and are not fixable.
Eh, I don't know if the "poor coding" argument really holds up here, considering that hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions, are playing the game without problems. No software can work perfectly on every imaginable system, I think you're just really unlucky. I'm not trying to say you aren't having problems, I'm sure you are, but place the blame where the blame is due. It's *technically* Valve's fault that HL2 doesn't run perfectly on your system, but the circumstances for this are beyond their control.

Still, sorry to hear you're having all these problems. I hope you get them worked out soon. I wish I could have been more constructive in my post but I haven't had a single one of the issues you're describing happen to me so I wouldn't even know where to start.

You could always give World of Warcraft a try! :D

Riptide
12-15-04, 11:06 AM
The game stutters and occasionally makes popping and hissing noises for me in various spots through the game that aren't an auto save or load point of any sort. HL2 is the ONLY game that does this. Conclusion: the game is screwed up. You don't get threads like the one over on the steam forums unless something is really and actually wrong with the game itself. It's not just a few people who don't know what they're doing or have PCs that can't handle it.

Ninjaman09
12-15-04, 11:09 AM
You don't get threads like the one over on the steam forums unless something is really and actually wrong with the game itself. It's not just a few people who don't know what they're doing or have PCs that can't handle it.
I know, I said it was just probably that you are the unlucky bunch for whom the software won't work properly. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to your problems so we can only assume you just got the shaft.

Rakeesh
12-15-04, 12:55 PM
Have you tried using 2.1 or Headphones? It's not that bad.

Why should I have to when I have a perfectly working 5.1 system?

Having made the choice to use your onboard sound, you should be prepared to experience problems.

Why? All non onboard sound solutions suck balls compared to what I have here. This sound system works perfect with every other game out there as well. Even if I was to put my POS audigy 2zs in this system, theres no guarentee that the problem will go away as evidenced by the steam thread since people with that same card have experienced this problem. The problem is entirely in valves software.

Stuttering bug, I don't know what to say. I've never had a problem with it and I don't understand what it is that people are talking about. It sounds to me like it's the user's hardware and not the game that is to blame

Even when people with better hardware than what I have still experience the problem?

Wow, that's really really wierd. I'm gonna have to say it's probably your system on this one, but then again, I have no idea why what you're describing is happening. First time I've heard anyone say anything about it though.

Again, people with better and worse systems have experienced this issue. And this absolutely can't be my system either. If you read the thread, you can see that people can fly to the top of the map when this starts happening, therefore the problem also exists server side.

Eh, I don't know if the "poor coding" argument really holds up here, considering that hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions, are playing the game without problems. No software can work perfectly on every imaginable system, I think you're just really unlucky. I'm not trying to say you aren't having problems, I'm sure you are, but place the blame where the blame is due. It's *technically* Valve's fault that HL2 doesn't run perfectly on your system, but the circumstances for this are beyond their control.

Except that they sold me an unfinished product. You can't tell me that valve coded a decent peice of software when every other game I play (even doom 3 which is a bit more technologically complex than HL2) works perfectly.

Still, sorry to hear you're having all these problems. I hope you get them worked out soon. I wish I could have been more constructive in my post but I haven't had a single one of the issues you're describing happen to me so I wouldn't even know where to start.

You could always give World of Warcraft a try! :D

Nah, MMORPG's aren't really my thing. I tend to prefer games that have a definite (as opposed to indefinite) and linear storyline (games with multiple endings tend to have a way of never finishing the story at all, chrono trigger is about the only exception I have ever seen.) MMORPG's require a continual online commitment for them to be interesting, and the story never ends, which bothers me a bit.

Not only that but you can't just feel like playing one evening and have a good game, you have to get back into the story and do constant repetetive leveling up, collecting and trading items, etc. After a while it becomes more of a chore than a game.

Ninjaman09
12-15-04, 01:26 PM
Why should I have to when I have a perfectly working 5.1 system?
Because your 5.1 system isn't working properly with this game. Not that it's your system's fault, I'm just saying you COULD play the game with fine sound in 2.1, which isn't that bad.
Why? All non onboard sound solutions suck balls compared to what I have here. This sound system works perfect with every other game out there as well. Even if I was to put my POS audigy 2zs in this system, theres no guarentee that the problem will go away as evidenced by the steam thread since people with that same card have experienced this problem. The problem is entirely in valves software.
You're trying to say that your onboard RealTek sound solution provides better quality than an Audigy 2ZS? It doesn't. And how is the Audigy 2 a POS exactly? Mine works perfectly and provides extremely high quality sound, which is noticable in everything I watch/play/use on my computer.
Even when people with better hardware than what I have still experience the problem?

Again, people with better and worse systems have experienced this issue. And this absolutely can't be my system either. If you read the thread, you can see that people can fly to the top of the map when this starts happening, therefore the problem also exists server side.
I don't mean in a performance sense. I mean your actual system configuration must be causing some kind of problem for Half-Life 2. Has nothing to do with how fast it is. As you said, people from all ranges of performance are reporting this problem.
Except that they sold me an unfinished product. You can't tell me that valve coded a decent peice of software when every other game I play (even doom 3 which is a bit more technologically complex than HL2) works perfectly.
Sure I can. Half-Life 2 won't necessarily work just because all your other games do. It works fine on hundreds of thousands of computers. Those having problems are by far in the minority. Not that it doesn't matter, it does and Valve should look into it, but this is the nature of computer games. Because of so many different hardware configurations there is no way to warrant with 100% confidence that any software will work perfectly across the board, especially at launch.

Superfly
12-15-04, 01:45 PM
You both make good points, some better than others.

The stuttering issue that Ninjaman does'nt experience is more widespread than he thinks (because he does'nt have this issue its easy to be blind/and or uninterested).

I have yet to meet someone (other than ninjaman) who does'nt experience this issue to some degree.

Superfly
12-15-04, 01:55 PM
Stuttering bug, I don't know what to say. I've never had a problem with it and I don't understand what it is that people are talking about. It sounds to me like it's the user's hardware and not the game that is to blame, but that's because I have no idea what you're experiencing. Some people report sound stuttering during auto-saves and level loads, which is to be expected (and happens to me too), some people say it happens in certain spots, and other people say it just happens randomly. All people seem to have it happen far more frequently than I'm accustomed to seeing. I'm inclined to think this is a combination of poor hardware configuration/not enough RAM/trying to run the game in higher detail than your system can handle, but many of these people have sufficiently fast computers so I dunno. Another theory is that you're just being hypochondriacs.

Oh dear, so wrong on so many levels.

Ninjaman09
12-15-04, 01:57 PM
I never said I knew for sure what it was. I don't have a problem with it, so I don't know what to say about it. I was taking shots in the dark, and I said it. How is that wrong exactly?
I have yet to meet someone (other than ninjaman) who does'nt experience this issue to some degree.
You must have a lot of people on "ignore" then. Lots of people post saying they have no problems.
The stuttering issue that Ninjaman does'nt experience is more widespread than he thinks (because he does'nt have this issue its easy to be blind/and or uninterested).
No, the stuttering issue is LESS widespread than YOU think (because you have the issue and want to make it a big deal to get it fixed faster). Out of the hundreds of thousands of copies of Half-Life 2 that are running perfectly fine, there's probably like a thousand people complaining about it on message boards. My argument wasn't that the problem didn't exist, my argument was not to scream at Valve about it because this can happen due to hugely varying system configurations.

Yes, it sucks that some people can't play Half-Life 2. But it's NOBODY'S fault that they can't play it. Just bad luck.

GamerGuyX
12-15-04, 02:24 PM
Yes, it sucks that some people can't play Half-Life 2. But it's NOBODY'S fault that they can't play it. Just bad luck.

Oh please... :rolleyes2

jolle
12-15-04, 02:43 PM
is it the stuttering after level loads (and autosaves?)that is refered to here?
or a overall constant "at any given time" stutter?

EDIT
Its comon enough to have a sticky in the Steampowered forums atleast.

Superfly
12-15-04, 03:01 PM
No, the stuttering issue is LESS widespread than YOU think (because you have the issue and want to make it a big deal to get it fixed faster). Out of the hundreds of thousands of copies of Half-Life 2 that are running perfectly fine, there's probably like a thousand people complaining about it on message boards. My argument wasn't that the problem didn't exist, my argument was not to scream at Valve about it because this can happen due to hugely varying system configurations.

dude the last time me and you had a "discussion" the thread was closed, although i enjoyed that little talk im not gonna get into this with you.

have a good xmas - goodbye.

Blueman
12-15-04, 04:02 PM
I find the patch loads some levels a little quicker now i fastest i had was a 10 second load between levels. Steam loads up quicker now but still takes 20megs of ram when just sitting there. I only get stuttering on the last 2 levels.

BM

superklye
12-15-04, 04:04 PM
Yeah, the new patch seems to load faster and I don't suffer from the stutters anymore. Thank Jesus.