View Full Version : Bah Humbug

oldsk00l
12-14-04, 03:39 PM
I can pretty much agree with everything in this article

http://curmudgeongamer.com/article.php?story=20041204092553868

(snowlol) (snowlol)

Edge
12-15-04, 12:49 PM
Heh, true, a lot of those things were just unforgivable. Strange that although games have so much money thrown into their development, it seems like delays and cut features become more and more common. Oh well, I guess with so many amazing things happening this year, the failures also seem more monumental. Though I do wonder what's in store for us next year...

Ninjaman09
12-15-04, 12:53 PM
Most new games suck ass. Some good ones offer the occasional surprise (KotOR, Metroid Prime, Chronicles of Riddick) and all Blizzard games are awesome, but the truth is that game companies are being run just like Hollywood now. That's the consequence of gaming becoming a multi-billion dollar industry. Soon there will be "indie" game developers, if not already. I was around for the very beginning, so I can sit back smugly and brag about how I used to play Snoopy and the Red Baron on my Atari 2600.

jolle
12-15-04, 01:47 PM
take the ancient gaming scene (around the time Doom was first released, or even earlier with Amiga and such if you will), add a spoonful (ie unimaginable amount) of money and you end up where we are now..
And where there is money there usually is sacrifices, such as integrity, honesty, creativity, respect etc.

EA is a good example, the ones with the money who is calling the shots dont give a rats ass about the games or the gamers who wants to play them, neither for the people dedicated to creating great games, they buy up companies, put the crew under the whip to get the sequel of their successful title out and it turns to **** that sells on a good name, which suits the moneymen just fine, they cant get blamed right? they didnt make the game..
a few names on the deathtoll under EAs moneymaking machine are:
Origin, Maxis and Bullfrog.

May they rest in piece.

Ninjaman09
12-15-04, 02:25 PM
Yes, I will never buy an EA product again. What sucks is that this includes Square games. Oh well, Final Fantasy XII looks like a pile of garbage anyway.

Head_slinger
12-15-04, 06:18 PM
bring back bitmap brothers!!!

Vagrant Zero
12-15-04, 10:46 PM
Yes, I will never buy an EA product again. What sucks is that this includes Square games. Oh well, Final Fantasy XII looks like a pile of garbage anyway.

Squaresoft disolved their contract with EA when it merged with Enix and became Square Enix on April 1, 2003. Now Square Enix publishes all their games.

It helps to have your facts straight before questing on a self-rightous crusade.

stncttr908
12-15-04, 11:53 PM
A very nice read, thanks for the link.