PDA

View Full Version : Networking a PC to a dummy PC and a laptop

Vanzagar
12-14-04, 03:43 PM
I'm uprading my computer, so I'm think of making my old mobo+cpu a slave computer for downloading crap burning dvd's, and compressing video. So I'll use my main computer for doing work, playing games, accessing the net. Then I would like to have this "dummy" PC sitting in the closet crunching away 24/7, with no mouse keyboard or monitor.

How would you recommend I have my main pc control this dummy PC? Thru a KVM switch or thru windows remote and a router? Is there a better way... which would be the cheapest and which would be the easiest or most user friendly way?

I would like to use a usb mouse and keyboard...

Also, if later I want to hook up a laptop wireless, should I buy something that accounts for this now or can I easily add the wireless later. Should I buy a wireless router now or can I give the laptop remote internet access some other way, I don't know anything about hooking up a laptop wireless to the net.

Also, Since I will be transferring files from the main PC to the dummy PC I would need the transfer rate to be real fast, as close as HD to HD...

Thanks,

Vanz

retsam
12-15-04, 08:05 PM
if i were you i would install windows 2000 and use terminal services to access the server remotely. kvm switches are expensive and tend to be a pain in the ass with all there wires and stuff.
and also i would install gigabit networking if you want fast transfer rates. you will never get your full speed hd to hd transfers rates ( you would have to install a multi-gigabit network) but thats all for another thread.

ynnek
12-15-04, 11:37 PM
really? But hd's don't really go above 30 mbit.. usually something like 20 mbit sustained.

CaptNKILL
12-15-04, 11:51 PM
really? But hd's don't really go above 30 mbit.. usually something like 20 mbit sustained.
Actually, they can usually transfer 20-30Mbytes. 8x 20-30Mbits.

Still, a gigabit ethernet would be 128Mbytes. I doubt thatd bottleneck most consumer hard drives.