PDA

View Full Version : Commander Keen

Pages : [1] 2

AngelGraves13
12-14-04, 03:55 PM
Anyone remember Commander Keen: The Defender of the Universe? It was a 7 game series by Id Software before they moved on to Wolfenstein 3-D. Games 4 to 6 include a built-in game of Pong in the main menu, just in case you get bored.

Billy Blaze, better known as Commander Keen was Id Software's PC magic at a time when consoles were the latest and greatest, and since the introduction of Nintendo and Super Mario Bros., the PC game market was yet to come out with a game that used the full potential of the 286.

Commander Keen began with the "Invasion of the Vorticons" triliogy which includes, Keen 1: Marooned on Mars, Keen 2: The Earth Explodes, and Keen 3: Keen Must Die! Some of these games were created by Id Software on their spare time, and after its release they quickly began working on their new technology for Keen 4 to 7.

The next big release in the Commander Keen series was the "Goodbye Galaxy" set, which includes Keen 4: The Secret of the Oracle, and Keen 5: The Armageddon Machine. These games had smooth side scrolling graphics and were some of the first games to fully use EGA and the potential of the 386.

Id software released Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Baby Sitter! before Keen 5, because they were made in the order of 4, 6, 5. By hitting F1 in Keen 4 or 5, you can see the dated order form for Keen 6 and it mentioning "if you are sucessful in Keen 5," which you'd have to be to keep playing on.

And last but not least is Commander Keen in "Keen Dreams," also known as "the lost game" and I'm sure probably a lot of different names. I'm still unsure if "Keen Dreams" was crafted before the "Goodbye Galaxy" set, but it's worth checking out since it was released as freeware.

The latest versions of all the Commander Keen games are as follows:

Commander Keen: "Invasion of the Vorticons"
+Keen 1: Marooned on Mars 1.31
+Keen 2: The Earth Explodes 1.31
+Keen 3: Keen Must Die! 1.31

Commander Keen: "Goodbye Galaxy"
+Keen 4: The Secret of the Oracle 1.4
+Keen 5: The Armageddon Machine 1.4
+Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Baby Sitter! 1.5

+Keen 7: Keen Dreams 1.13

NOTE: All patches, and shareware (Keen 1, 4, 7) games, except for Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Baby Sitter! version 1.5 can be uptained from Beyond the Pogo (http://spatang.com/ck/).

Enjoy!

|JuiceZ|
12-14-04, 04:03 PM
Great find man, thx! :D

Vagrant Zero
12-14-04, 04:07 PM
I loved Commander Keen, along with Duke Nuken [pre FPS], and Cosmo.

AngelGraves13
12-14-04, 04:08 PM
It was my favorite game as a kid. I drew a lot of pictures of Commander Keen. Back then I only had a PC Speaker. Since then, I've been a die hard id software fan all the way. They've never let me down with a single game.

If you guys are looking to run Wolf3D in OpenGL, you might want to give NewWolf a go. You can find that at the NewWolf website (http://wolfgl.narod.ru/). Only problem with this port is that the source code for it was released and is no longer being worked on. The current version is 0.72. I'd like to see someone pick this up and actually finish it, but oh well.

I wonder when the source code to the Commander Keen games will be released, so we can all enjoy a nice Windows/Mac/Linux port of it.

einstein_314
12-14-04, 06:43 PM
awesome. I was trying to play keen a few weeks ago but it just wouldn't work properly. Now it's awesome. Thanks man.

Skrot
12-14-04, 06:59 PM
(welcome) There should be a Welcome to Ages Ago smilie, or something equally lame...

AngelGraves13
12-14-04, 08:03 PM
(welcome) There should be a Welcome to Ages Ago smilie, or something equally lame...

Quoting your sig, what's the point? What was last week and what's equally lame. I'm lost.

EciDemon
12-14-04, 08:03 PM
While we'r on the subject of old news....

You who are interested in this might want to try Vdmsound. Another dos sound emulator to play old games, it's easier to use then DosBox, and where one fail the other might work.

-=DVS=-
12-14-04, 08:10 PM
i wanna play DEATHRALLY again... :)

I miss that game it owned , to bad noone made a remake of it :(

AngelGraves13
12-14-04, 08:21 PM
While we'r on the subject of old news....

You who are interested in this might want to try Vdmsound. Another dos sound emulator to play old games, it's easier to use then DosBox, and where one fail the other might work.

Does VDMsound ONLY emulate sound? Or is it something similar to DosBox? To go into more detail, is it just an add-on to Windows' Dos or a seperate program? I might give it a go.

EciDemon
12-14-04, 08:28 PM
I actually emulate lots of things, vesa, mscdex etc etc

It's easier to use then DosBox.

Its not a separate dos emulation as DosBox as it will intergrate with your windows in a better manner, You right click on an old exe file and run with Vdms
I like it more then dosbox, but I still use both

AngelGraves13
12-14-04, 08:38 PM
I actually emulate lots of things, vesa, mscdex etc etc

It's easier to use then DosBox.

Its not a separate dos emulation as DosBox as it will intergrate with your windows in a better manner, You right click on an old exe file and run with Vdms
I like it more then dosbox, but I still use both

Back on topic, which is better to emulate Commander Keen? Windows does a terrible job at running Commander Keen. As soon as something moves on the screen, there is excessive tearing.

Marcos
12-14-04, 08:42 PM
1: Commander keen is the **** i play it @ work sometimes on a 400mhz celeron

2: Death rally was also the ****.

3: Anyone remember hovertank 3d?? I downloaded it off of prodigy it was like 12 bucks

EciDemon
12-14-04, 08:43 PM
Ive no idea on what is best, Just try Vdms. It's easy enugh to use and understand. It emulates all the things you need for old dos games. But as dosbox, it's just an emulator so it isnt 100% compatible with all games.

Ive never botherd to try it with commander keen as I never liked those games.
Those days there were lots and lots of cooler platformers on the amiga ;)

Skrot
12-14-04, 09:03 PM
Quoting your sig, what's the point? What was last week and what's equally lame. I'm lost.What's the point of what? The smilie means that it's old news. The quality of the program would perhaps suggest so :).

AngelGraves13
12-14-04, 09:53 PM
DosBox is fine except for its awful sound stutters.

NOTE: Leaving the CPU cycles for DosBox at 3000 seems to resolve all sound stutters for me.

AngelGraves13
12-18-04, 01:48 AM
VDMsound is ok....but it's a lot older than DosBox, and it doesn't correct the screen tearing effects in Windows dos. DosBox is the best until they release the source code and someone makes a decent win32/64 port.

Northwood
12-18-04, 11:03 AM
If you ever become tired of playing the standard commander keen you can download mods and level paks at http://www.cosmicoding.com/keendom and http://www.spatang.com/ck/dl.php. Some of them require keen 2, 3 or 5, but they are very fun.

ragejg
12-18-04, 12:15 PM
Hmm, what about Jill of the Jungle? ElectroBody? Dangerous Dave? Scorched Earth? :p

saturnotaku
12-19-04, 10:32 PM
This program is fantastic. I had a couple old Apogee games on floppy that I couldn't even get to work in Windows 98, but they run absolutely perfectly on XP with DOSBox and D-Fend as the front. There also was a stubborn little DOS game called Laser Light that I could get to run, but without sound or mouse. These two progs took care of that problem.

I think it's really sad how I have this relatively high-end gaming computer but I'm spending my time playing DOS games. :p

AngelGraves13
12-20-04, 03:59 PM
This program is fantastic. I had a couple old Apogee games on floppy that I couldn't even get to work in Windows 98, but they run absolutely perfectly on XP with DOSBox and D-Fend as the front. There also was a stubborn little DOS game called Laser Light that I could get to run, but without sound or mouse. These two progs took care of that problem.

I think it's really sad how I have this relatively high-end gaming computer but I'm spending my time playing DOS games. :p

Yeah, Commander Keen uses only 453 kbs of my memory, or so it says when launching. I set DosBox to use all my memory.

AngelGraves13
01-25-05, 04:47 AM
Well here's my unfinished drawing of Billy Blaze (A.K.A. Commander Keen). I'll update it once I add some finishing touches and details. My friend seems to like the Pong game I drew on it more than the actual drawing.

Edge
01-25-05, 05:27 AM
Wow, that Dosbox program is great. I had a really old game I've been wanting to try out (Wolf, if you want to know), but I could never get it to work right. I even tried running it in a Windows 98 emulation program, but it still didn't quite work right and I was getting a lot of sound stuttering and such, but it runs almost flawlessly in DosBox. Couldn't quite get Sound Blaster sound effects to work, but changing it to Sound Source seems to work (man, I forgot how annoying it was needing to configure these old games). What's the default IRQ and I/O settings for the SB emulation of the program?

Haha, don't remind me. We're literally turning our $1000 computers into 486s. And to think, some people make a big deal out of new games not pushing our technology, and here we are playing games from a decade ago, haha.

Oh, and lately I've also been rediscovering the joy of emulators. Replaying through some of my SegaCD games right now, boy some of those are fun. And regardless of what anyone says, I still think the graphics in Silpheed rock :D

Edit: oh, nice pic 99 to life. Very detailed, you definatly have some artistic talent :)

AngelGraves13
01-25-05, 05:41 AM
Edit: oh, nice pic 99 to life. Very detailed, you definatly have some artistic talent :)

Thanks, but it still needs some work and a signature when it's done.

Northwood
01-25-05, 10:12 AM
Sweet Pic! That's like the title screen of keen 6 "Alians ate my babysitter." Fun games and you can even play them in linux using dosbox, its great!