PDA

View Full Version : Are the problems here to stay?

Pages : [1] 2

circuitbreaker8
12-14-04, 10:40 PM
I'm having some very annoying problems with my BFG 6800 GT OC. The very first thing I noticed when switching from my 9800 Pro 128Mb was the IQ. I play UT2004 a lot, and I noticed it look very....rough? Like, take the teleporter thing you shoot in CTF. There is a light trail that follows it, and with my 6800 GT, once it gets past a certain point, it looks like the AA just doesnt render on it. With my 9800p, it would be silky smooth no matter how far I shoot it. So i'm guessing nV doesn't use "true" FSAA. Second problem is the stuttering. Now, this problem kinda of just came out of nowhere, because I never had it before. But MANY people have this problems, so I know i'm not alone here. The last one is the damn shimmering problem! I know the 67.02's try to fix this by totaly bypassing the neg. LOD, but some games just dont look right with it clamped ( like BF1942 ) nVidia really needs to start fixing these problems, its been half a year, and all three of these problems have no been fixed, even with all of these drivers! The NV40 is great, but these little things are really going to kill it in the long run.

saturnotaku
12-14-04, 10:46 PM
So use clamp when you play HL2 and disable it when you play something else. Not like the drivers don't give you the option.

MUYA
12-14-04, 10:52 PM
I play UT2k4 (and all other games except Halo) with 4X aa and 8XAF a lot with my Leadtek Ultra and have never expereinced, the problems you mention. AA is always on and I never for a moment see it being disabled.

I keep on getting the stuttering in HL2 but thats the only game I have a problem with stuttering and that is said to be HL2 engine thang!

Shimmering occurs in some games but not all the time and you have the clamp option now.

kahloq
12-14-04, 11:16 PM
I have both a BFG 6800 ultra and a BFG 6800 GT and have never experienced the problems you outlined with UT2004. Both display the game smooth as can be with no visual issues. Not sure what your problem is, but its not a general problem with Nvidia cards. Like others that psoted here, it could be the settings you got somewhere. And yes Nvidia does do AA and AF just fine.

Slammin
12-15-04, 07:52 AM
You would have to have come from an ATI card to really notice the difference in Nvidia's FSAA implementation I think. The difference is huge and very noticable to me also. The closer an item is, the more AA (when selected) is applied, and the further away an object gets, the less AA the object gets, regardless of how much AA is selected.

Nvidia's implementation of FSAA is nowhere near as good as Ati's, and also causes a much larger resource hit when enabled too. Hopefully they will get this right one day though.

Lfctony
12-15-04, 08:51 AM
I upgraded to a 6800U from a 9800 Pro. I also have an X800 Pro 2 rooms down the hall. I simply don't see this really obvious, Nvidia's-nowhere near as good, superior ATI AA.

Slammin
12-15-04, 09:14 AM
I really have no loyalty to either Ati or Nvidia and hopefully don't sound too biased, or like I'm trashing Nvidia, but maybe my setup is such that the differences in FSAA by the two companies are more apparent to me.

It could also be the type of games I run mostly (flight sims and driving sims) or perhaps 22" monitor?

MUYA
12-15-04, 09:23 AM
When did this thread start to diverge from the thread's original topic to IHV AA comparision?

saturnotaku
12-15-04, 09:24 AM
Nvidia's implementation of FSAA is nowhere near as good as Ati's, and also causes a much larger resource hit when enabled too. Hopefully they will get this right one day though.

Then you're very much in the minority on this. The FSAA implementation in the GeForce 6-series is virtually identical to that of the R3xx-R4xx line (plus supersampling which the Radeon does not offer).

When MikeC did a comparison of FSAA between the NVIDIA and ATI cards, the consensus was a tossup between the two.

Morn
12-15-04, 10:25 AM
AF 8x on nvidia cards seems a bit slower than on the x800 though. But I don't like that nvidia now uses ATI's methods for AF in the 6800, as it indeduces a lot of shimmering.

Vapor Trail
12-15-04, 11:47 AM
I have a 6800GT and I too am not really happy with the AA quality.

The AA method may be similar to ATI's (at 4x at least) but there is a big problem with textures being aliased incorrectly. A good example is Madden 2005. If you look at the field lines on any driver set other than the newest ones with the "clamp", there is a very noticeable sawtooth effect at certain angles that never occurred with my old ATI card. The lines actually break apart and look like dashes at times. This happens in many other games as well. Another good example is Superbike 2001. The edge of the road a slight distance ahead crawls like crazy with the older drivers and this never happened on my 9800XT. I honestly don't know if this game is fixed with the newer drivers because it was so annoying I uninstalled it.

The 6800 has many nice features and hopefully the AA quality can be imnproved in future drivers.

If not, I will probably not stick with Nvidia next round. :(

Morn
12-15-04, 11:51 AM
Never noticed that, the shimmering with AF is quite annoying though. Previous nvidia cards did not do it, but ATI and nvidia both do it now. By AF I mean antisotropic.

Decimator
12-15-04, 11:54 AM
I thought the stuttering in HL2 was to do with the sound engine? (or mouse drivers, depending on who you listen to)

Beng
12-15-04, 01:38 PM
The very first thing I noticed when switching from my 9800 Pro 128Mb was the IQ. I play UT2004 a lot, and I noticed it look very....rough? Like, take the teleporter thing you shoot in CTF. There is a light trail that follows it, and with my 6800 GT, once it gets past a certain point, it looks like the AA just doesnt render on it. With my 9800p, it would be silky smooth no matter how far I shoot it.

I can confirm this. Not in UT2004 (don't play it) but a similar problem in Joint Operations. It looks like this: if you ride in a jeep and you look in the distance at the shadows (from the trees) on the road the shadows shimmer horrible, as if they have no AA. When you come closer at a certain point they suddenly get AA. (This is with my 6800GT). On my X800 this problem does not occur, it's smooth all the time, the difference is night and day.

I've tried different drivers, different settings (incl. lod clamp), but can't get rid of it. It looks horrible.

The FSAA implementation in the GeForce 6-series is virtually identical to that of the R3xx-R4xx line

Indeed, I'm certainly not complaining about GF6's 4xAA, it looks almost identical to Ati's 4xAA. My complaint is that under some circumstances it looks like that some textures (or shadows) don't get AA on GF6.

bkswaney
12-15-04, 02:06 PM
My BFG GT has 0 problems with UT2004 or anything else for that matter.
I love my GT. :D

lmetza
12-15-04, 03:39 PM
doesnt ati use supersampling and nvidia use multisampling?

Spotch
12-15-04, 04:30 PM
My BFG GT has 0 problems with UT2004 or anything else for that matter.
I love my GT. :D

"One mans IQ trash is another mans treasure." (snowlol)

I have been somewhat dissappointed with my 6800GT IQ as well. I have pretty much decided to bite the bullet on this one and get the next gen ATI card next Spring/Summer assuming it looks like a winner.

I am simply convinced that NV technology has lost too much ground in pure performance to ATI chips lately. Now we are simply being handed cut rate IQ with these GeForce cards.

:lame:

noko
12-15-04, 04:31 PM
Both use multisampling while Nvidia also has a mixed mode option (4xQ and 8xQ) with Super and Multisampling. Other modes can be used with an utility program.

Check out this thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30641

circuitbreaker8
12-15-04, 04:42 PM

I have been somewhat dissappointed with my 6800GT IQ as well. I have pretty much decided to bite the bullet on this one and get the next gen ATI card next Spring/Summer assuming it looks like a winner.

I am simply convinced that NV technology has lost too much ground in pure performance to ATI chips lately. Now we are simply being handed cut rate IQ with these GeForce cards.

I agree, I think i'm going to switch also, once the X800XT-PE drops in price.

jbirney
12-15-04, 04:46 PM
circuitbreaker8,
did you reformat when you swithced? Some times UT2004.ini will keep older cards settings. It should flush them out but I have seen it do some weird things before.... Just a thought.

circuitbreaker8
12-15-04, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I formatted :D I notice an IQ drop in other games also, I was just using UT as an example

jbirney
12-15-04, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I formatted :D I notice an IQ drop in other games also, I was just using UT as an example

Doh, sorry about that then...but I have seen the UT2004.ini keep video cards settings before and it can mess up the IQ in some cases. Sorry about the false hope.

MikeC
12-15-04, 05:44 PM
Spotch no need to be rude to our members. You are starting to sound like a PR machine to me.

Mud
12-15-04, 08:30 PM

i need a good formatting...reinstalling hl2 makes it so unappealing though... (mikec)

bkswaney
12-15-04, 09:51 PM

I just rid of a 256meg 9800. I know what good IQ is.
With all the IQ stuff turned up my 6800 looks just as good.
Now if I try and can make the IQ look like sh!t.
Maybe you need to learn the correct way to use your hard and software.

If u think the grass is greener on the other side then by all means
waste your money. It's no skin off my back.
To each his on I guess.
:rolleyes: :ass: :angel2: