PDA

View Full Version : Can a SB Audigy play DTS?

Moot
12-14-04, 10:51 PM
I have a version of power DVD that supports DTS decoding. In the options "6 speaker setup" is selected. I have a sound blaster audigy with the latest drivers, hooked up to klipsch pro media 5.1 speakers. If I select Dolby 5.1 all is well, and the sound comes out of all six speakers. If I select DTS there is no sound at all durring playback. Is an Audigy capable of playing back DTS audio? If so what else could be wrong?

For movies this isn't an issue, because movies sound good enough in both formats, and both formats are included on the one disk. But I am thinking of getting the NIN live "And all that could have been" DVD. They sell it in eithor DTS or Dobly format. DTS is supposed to sound better. But if I can't play it at all then I'll have to go with Dolby, or change my hardware.

superklye
12-14-04, 11:09 PM
I have a version of power DVD that supports DTS decoding. In the options "6 speaker setup" is selected. I have a sound blaster audigy with the latest drivers, hooked up to klipsch pro media 5.1 speakers. If I select Dolby 5.1 all is well, and the sound comes out of all six speakers. If I select DTS there is no sound at all durring playback. Is an Audigy capable of playing back DTS audio? If so what else could be wrong?

For movies this isn't an issue, because movies sound good enough in both formats, and both formats are included on the one disk. But I am thinking of getting the NIN live "And all that could have been" DVD. They sell it in eithor DTS or Dobly format. DTS is supposed to sound better. But if I can't play it at all then I'll have to go with Dolby, or change my hardware.
Oh man...I have the Dolby version and even that is mind-bending. That DVD is incredible sound-wise and videowise.

I also HIGHLY recommend picking up the Downward Spiral Deluxe edition with the CD remixed in 5.1 surround in SACD format and in normal CD format (it's a dualdisc) with a bonus disc of remixes, demos and unreleased stuff. Also, the 5.1 surround DVD-Audio version that has the album on one side and the other had videos for Closer, March of the Pigs and one other song all in 5.1 surround. They are spectacular!

EciDemon
12-14-04, 11:29 PM
If your power dvd decodes DTS then the audigy card dosent have to do anything as it's done through software.

But if it's done thro software I guess you have to use the 3 analog outputs to get any sound.

Ive got the audigy 2, problem is that I have don't have those three separate analog imputs on my surround reciver (harman/kardon) So i use the digital output instead and have set the audigy to passthro and let the reciver do the work.

superklye
12-14-04, 11:52 PM
If your power dvd decodes DTS then the audigy card dosent have to do anything as it's done through software.

But if it's done thro software I guess you have to use the 3 analog outputs to get any sound.

Ive got the audigy 2, problem is that I have don't have those three separate analog imputs on my surround reciver (harman/kardon) So i use the digital output instead and have set the audigy to passthro and let the reciver do the work.
I don't recall PowerDVD being able to decode DTS...I think the soundcard has to be able to do it. I could be wrong though.

Moot
12-14-04, 11:56 PM
Oh man...I have the Dolby version and even that is mind-bending. That DVD is incredible sound-wise and videowise.

I also HIGHLY recommend picking up the Downward Spiral Deluxe edition with the CD remixed in 5.1 surround in SACD format and in normal CD format (it's a dualdisc) with a bonus disc of remixes, demos and unreleased stuff. Also, the 5.1 surround DVD-Audio version that has the album on one side and the other had videos for Closer, March of the Pigs and one other song all in 5.1 surround. They are spectacular!I keep hearing the "All That Could Have Been DVD is really good, and my mind is made up to get it. I just needed to figure out what format I wanted..

I was also eyeing the downward spiral delux endition. Does the DVD incudes all the same audio the SACD contains? Cuz I'm even more positive I can't play a SACD on my computer. If so, what format are the DVD audio tracks in? Sure there is the regual CD layer to the SACD but I already have the downward spiral and would only be buying it for the improved 5.1 version of the songs. Hopefully they are on the DVD in a format I can play.

As for the DTS issue, I just don't know. power DVD should be decoding it on the CPU and passing it to the sound card. or so I would imagine. But you can turn on the info box thing, which shows you the bit rate, and audio type as the movie is playing. Then by right clicking you can select the audio track. When you choose DD 5.1, everything is working. Selecting DTS just turns the sound as the movie keeps playing. The info box reads DTS now. Going back to DD 5.1 the same way, and the sound comes back... *shrugz*

Moot
12-14-04, 11:58 PM
power DVD versions 5, and 6 deluxe support DTS decoding.
http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/powerdvd/6/versions_new1.jsp

superklye
12-15-04, 12:21 AM
I keep hearing the "All That Could Have Been DVD is really good, and my mind is made up to get it. I just needed to figure out what format I wanted..

I was also eyeing the downward spiral delux endition. Does the DVD incudes all the same audio the SACD contains? Cuz I'm even more positive I can't play a SACD on my computer. If so, what format are the DVD audio tracks in? Sure there is the regual CD layer to the SACD but I already have the downward spiral and would only be buying it for the improved 5.1 version of the songs. Hopefully they are on the DVD in a format I can play.

As for the DTS issue, I just don't know. power DVD should be decoding it on the CPU and passing it to the sound card. or so I would imagine. But you can turn on the info box thing, which shows you the bit rate, and audio type as the movie is playing. Then by right clicking you can select the audio track. When you choose DD 5.1, everything is working. Selecting DTS just turns the sound as the movie keeps playing. The info box reads DTS now. Going back to DD 5.1 the same way, and the sound comes back... *shrugz*

You have to have an SACD player in order to play the SACD, but the normal CD side is the album remixed...possibly in 5.1, but not sure. If not, it's a remixed stereo version.

The DVD-A version should play in any DVD player, ROM or standalone player, with no problems. It is encoded in 5.1 Dolby, if I recall correctly, and the bonus disc songs are not included with the DVD-A version of the album. Just the normal album remixed.

And I dunno what to tell you about the DTS thing... :(

|JuiceZ|
12-15-04, 10:45 AM

According to Creative's website, if you have the Audigy1 LS (SE) or ES they only support dolby digital 5.1 pass-through/decoding but if you're using a DTS support version of PowerDVD (either 5 or 6Pro) the software should pass-through/decode the DTS audio stream to the soundcard and out through your speakers.

I had this problem recently after updating my Audigy2zs drivers. After completingly uninstalling/reinstall PowerDVD6 Pro, DTS started working just fine.