PDA

View Full Version : ok guys, christmas present time

Cruel_Logic
12-15-04, 03:38 AM
my father wants to buy me a new mb for christmas, and I'm giving my old one to my brother for his present (pimp) he, he, he...

heard about the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe p4 multiplier unlock on the other forum here, so that seems mighty tempting. But also my friend says his ic7 max3 kicks ass, so now im stuck. What mb should I get?

thnx in advance.

Riptide
12-15-04, 07:40 AM
P4C800-E IMO

dsessom
12-15-04, 10:16 AM
Both boards are nice. I would go with the IC7-MAX3 personally because the the OTES cooling and extreme overclockability.

I am saving up to get a ABIT "Fatal1ty AA8XE", but it requires an LGA775 CPU, DDR2, and PCIe16 graphics card.

Cruel_Logic
12-15-04, 10:33 AM
lol, 1 max3 and 1 p4c800 so far. does the max3 overclock better than the p4c800?

PaiN
12-15-04, 11:34 AM
I had the Max III before I got this Max II "Advance" (its a long story :rolleyes: )
Both are imo...the best P4 s478 boards available....outside of the OTES cooling (which is a gimmik, anyway..) the Max II "Advance" is a better board, its faster and has been slightly more stable......

dsessom
12-15-04, 02:21 PM
OTES is not a gimmic, it actually does cool the capacitors around the CPU socket better than a regular mobo. This helps with both stability and overclocking. I forgot to mention that it looks cool too because of the built-in green LEDs.

Here's mine:

http://www.geocities.com/one_bad77/32.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/one_bad77/33.jpg

PaiN
12-15-04, 04:17 PM
OTES is not a gimmic, it actually does cool the capacitors around the CPU socket better than a regular mobo. This helps with both stability and overclocking.
nothing personal.....but it is a gimmic.... OTES makes no difference what so ever. My MaxII is more stable and OCs better than the MaxIII.
Some reviewers even questioned if the OTES device actually "held in" heat from the caps & leds....

jAkUp
12-15-04, 04:51 PM
Keep your MaxII, Grab the latest BIOS from www.abit-usa.com and unlock the multiplier :) I downloaded it last night, problem is that my CPU is not a Prescott :( So I don't get to unlock the multiplier :(

CDsDontBurn
12-17-04, 05:51 PM
there is nearly no difference between the MaxII and the MaxIII other than the OTES cooling, and two more SATA raid controllers. The ASUS p4c800-E DLX MoBo, would be the Flagship of all ASUS' 478 MoBos. No difference really between both borth really.