PDA

View Full Version : Make 6x cards render games with PS 2.0

Sorrow
12-15-04, 09:24 AM
I was wondering, since the 9800 and 9700 Pros go the path of a PS 2.0 GF card (smartshader is it?), and seems to do better than the 6800s which go the way of PS 3.0, can you force the 6x cards to render games with the PS 2.0 path? It seems that most of the PS 3.0 cards when playing EQ2 lag noticeably more than cards like the 9700 and 9800s and the fx 5700+. Maybe if you forced the card to run with PS 2.0 while playing, it would help decrease the lag? There's gotta be something like that, that is causing the 6x to lag so bad in EQ2. If you could get it to render EQ2's graphics in the same fashion as the fx5700+'s and 9700-9800, maybe it would help it out considerably. Just my 2cp, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but that seems as a temporary solution

no flames, just correct me heh. I own a Gigabyte 6800GT (awesome cooling system for it :)) and i get lame lag, whereas my friend's 9700pro is running HQ heh. Sorry if this is wrong forum, just figured this could apply to all games, but involved the 6x cards at the same time.

saturnotaku
12-15-04, 10:21 AM
I was wondering, since the 9800 and 9700 Pros go the path of a PS 2.0 GF card (smartshader is it?), and seems to do better than the 6800s which go the way of PS 3.0, can you force the 6x cards to render games with the PS 2.0 path? It seems that most of the PS 3.0 cards when playing EQ2 lag noticeably more than cards like the 9700 and 9800s and the fx 5700+. Maybe if you forced the card to run with PS 2.0 while playing, it would help decrease the lag? There's gotta be something like that, that is causing the 6x to lag so bad in EQ2. If you could get it to render EQ2's graphics in the same fashion as the fx5700+'s and 9700-9800, maybe it would help it out considerably. Just my 2cp, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but that seems as a temporary solution

Wow...pre vbulletin 3.0 flashback to the department of redundancy department. :eek2:

Morn
12-15-04, 11:06 AM
(xmasgrin) Maybe your CPU can't keep up with your card.
Most likely it's just some bug your game that has some trouble dealing with geforce 6's, wait for a patch perhaps?

Halfwayhouse
12-15-04, 11:09 AM
Sorrow, sorry to burst your bubble but EQ2 isnt even using SM3.0 yet. Ask anyone. Will it? Yep. Is it? No. You're card IS doing the game in 2.0. I have an itching suspicion thats part of the problem.

lmetza
12-15-04, 01:36 PM
Actually that might make sense. Because i noticed with chronicles of riddick that when running the game with 2.0++ it drops to around 15-20fps im guessing (i want useing fraps). But when i set it to 2.0 the performance went up like 2x and i can use FSAA and AF in the game now. So it could be a driver issue, thats my best guess.
Nvidia or sony better fix EQ2, cuz if they slap their logo on something i expect it to run 100% flawless on Balanced settings (EQ2) without AA or AF, and it doesnt which really annoys me. The only time it runs flawless is when i run around Antonica, and at nighttime in Qeynos my fps goes up ltoaround 35-40, during the day in Qeynos it's anywhere between 15-40fps. Like i can withstand 20fps (thats still playable in EQ2 cuz the mouse still moves in real time allowing u to do combat still). But common, 15fps is unacceptable on balanced without AA or AF.

Also with the ammount of money sony makes off their customers, how hard could it be for them to just sit down and fix the damn thing if its an engine issue.

Subtestube
12-15-04, 05:46 PM
If you do want to force SM 2.0, you can do it with Rivatuner.

-=DVS=-
12-15-04, 08:21 PM
Mmm if you trying to play with AA then yes you will have problems becouse SOE messed it up , you need to add

r_aa_blit 1 in EQ2.ini main folder , then no more problems with that. I just read Offical Forums lotsa people saying horrible stutter and no FPS difference going from High Quality to High Performance :eek2: with those settings swaping i can get anywhere from from average 30FPS to 100+ so there is a difference and no stutter, unleas all of them got low ram and fragmented disks :retard: and Radeon 9700Pro/FX5700 outperforming 6800 what BS is this ? definetly not true.

I can only hope SOE woun't cut on game details or screw up ,becouse of some whiney kids.

:eek2:
"No BS about the game being made for the future, because whether I run this game on max detail or low detail, I only get like an difference of 5-7fps extra. Thats dodgy."

Agreed. I also hate that excuse because if a 6800GT top of the line card NOW gets 3-7fps in zones with a few models, well technology doesnt increase THAT fast. We might have "twice" as fast cards in a year or two. Thats still 6-14fps, twice as fast as that a year or two later still puts us at 12-28 fps. So basically they designed a game that at balanced settings will run at barely acceptable rates in 4 years? I imagine EQ3 will be coming up around that time, so somehow I don't buy this as an excuse.

Official Forum (http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=tech_support&message.id=10070&view=by_date_ascending&page=13&no_redir=true)

More interesting quote
SoE had a simlar problem in SWG. It took a good 3 months for them to sort it. But it got sorted in the end.
They also had an issue with the 9800 Pro (run a search on the SWG forum for 9800 Pro and prepare yourself) that seems to rival the anger felt by 6800 users here.
During both of those issues, it took well over a month for our cries to be heard. With this happening upon launch, leads me to think it will be even longer for this one.

I realize you are tying to help, but most of us have performed all the maintenance and tweaks, and they don't help. This is a EQ2 engine / dx9c/ driver issue. The engine is simply NOT using the GPU like it should. It is sending most, if not all of the rendering to the CPU. I have done EXTENSIVE testing (still need to post my final data), between 2 cpus and 2 graphics cards. the rest of the system is the same, ALL of my drivers are up to date, I have checked and double checked. I have defragged my HD several times, etc etc.

Point 1) The temperature of the GPU does NOT rise significantly during EQ2 play. ANY other game that properly uses the GPU, the temps rise significantly over the idle temps.

Point 2) The CPU uptilization is ALWAYS pegged at 100% even on users with the fastest processors in low populated areas.

Point 3) Moving from a 2-generation old video card to the latest generation high-end card yeilds almost no significant performance increase.

Point 4) Running 3dMark2003, the GPU tests, specifially the toll test, I get 50-60 FPS with full shadows/ spec lighting, etc in a scene that makes eq2 look like it was drawn with crayons. The benchmarks later renders the same test using only the CPU... guess what... 5-10 fps, staggers, etc... Hmm... just like EQ2 !!!

There is alot of truth in last quote !

Sorrow
12-15-04, 10:16 PM
I don't play with any AA or AF on because it lags me even more. I found out changing resolutions doesn't really help so i leave it at 1280x1024. If i change that in my .ini folder and leave AA off, will it still help increase FPS? or should i change the .ini and put AA back to application controlled and will that help you think?

-=DVS=-
12-15-04, 10:38 PM
Dunno you have to try some said enable AA makes game run better then without , i always playd with atleas 2xAA so i don't know will have to try without, i read 6 threads with 8 + pages lol :( , some people fix they computer with magic :p , its crazy over there in Official SOE forums so many tips so many problems , some say ATI cards have no problem at all other say its worse , they do mention 6800GT alot.

Some tips as far as i remember , the ones in Bold i have .

FastWrite off
Defragment HDD
r_aa_blit 1 (in EQ2.ini)
Virtual ram pageing off
2 gigs of ram 1 minimum
no shadows
no specular lights
water reflection update lowest ( or whatever its called ChrisRay discovered)
some say Routers couse problems
some say firewalls
software problem memory leak
Nvidia Drivers to blame
some say X800Pro got no sutter no matter what but lower fps
also other say and it seems true that EQ2 for some reason uses CPU more then GPU , makes cpu run at 100% while GPU is idle moust of the time .

I personaly had a bug with newer 2.0+ FRAPS coused fps drop by 20% , but not Fraps 1.9 , but didn't test this with EQ2.