PDA

View Full Version : GPU fans not spinning?

Pages : [1] 2

bunt
12-15-04, 12:51 PM
What could be causing my GPU's(graphics card) fan not to spin.....I'm lost ....I just got my new 6600gt yesterday ...installed it and it wouldnt stop crashing in-game. Then I thought I would check the tempertature and it was 120 C(Core thresh-hold is at 128 C222 .

Now I reinstalled my old 5600 untill I figure out what it may be........ and to my suprise ...... this 5600's fan aint spinning either. This could have been an old problem or somthing I just caused during installation. As far as I'm concerned I installed it properly (according to manuel's).

From the sounds of it .... Do any of you have a slight inkling on what it might be.....
mobo?.....power supply?....bios update...hellllp!

lmetza
12-15-04, 01:01 PM
try a power line that isnt connected to anything. Unless you already did that.
Oh, load setup defaults in ur bios, could be a wrong voltage setting maybe.

bunt
12-15-04, 01:04 PM
try a power line that isnt connected to anything. Thats all i can say. Unless you already did that.
I tried disconnecting power to my floppy and cd drives and still...No spinning

lmetza
12-15-04, 01:05 PM
How many Watts is your PSU? Is it a stock PSU that came with ur case?

Actually better yet, do you get an error on startup about low power? You should get an error like that if theres not enough power for the card. My old fx5900xt did that when i forgot to plug additional power in. But then again, that will lower your core/memory speeds automaticly.

bunt
12-15-04, 01:10 PM
How many Watts is your PSU? Is it a stock PSU that came with ur case?
it says ...

Model Okia 420atx(420watt max)

and I tried setting bios to default ..still nothing

thanks tho.

*edit* No, boot up is fine, no indication/warning of low power

lmetza
12-15-04, 01:13 PM
I just googled that PSU and it seems pretty cheap, $12.00.
You may want to consider an Enermax 450W (465w). That could be the problem.
I had a powertek 500w and it SUCKED, wouldent power up a 9800pro after drivers where installed (i thought card was faulty so i returend it to my friend). I have an Enermax 465w dual fan now, best investment for a pc you can make is a high quality PSU and now i got a 6800 working fine.

bunt
12-15-04, 01:15 PM
I just googled that PSU and it seems pretty cheap, $12.00.
You may want to consider an Enermax 450W (465w). That could be the problem.

I figure its either the power supply or motherboard myself ...I'm just trying to to single one out so I can pull the trigger and make a purchase.

lmetza
12-15-04, 01:16 PM
Edit. Hard to tell if you dont have an extra PSU kicking around. Im just thinking about what else it could be. Have you tried spinning the fan up manually with you finger when the computer is on?

Otehr then that i think im out of ideas, could always make sure the card is securely in the agp slot, push down firmly on it and make sure its all the way to the eft of the agp slot (if you have agp pro slot).

Edit. I remember when my a7n8x died cuz i pushed to hard to install an HSF (motherboard flexed a bit too much) and then my agp wouldent power up anymore @ all (i got the board replaced for free, i just said it died) plus the fan was for the right socket, jsut the clip was like .1 of a MM off.

Decimator
12-15-04, 01:24 PM
Have you tried using a program like Motherboard Monitor (or just the system monitor in your BIOS) to see what voltages you're getting?

bunt
12-15-04, 01:25 PM
They think testing my GPU's in their system will curse their system like they did mine .....NO luck ..still searching tho

bunt
12-15-04, 01:26 PM
Have you tried using a program like Motherboard Monitor (or just the system monitor in your BIOS) to see what voltages you're getting?
In the bios what should I be looking for ?....I'll post the results

lmetza
12-15-04, 01:27 PM
make sure the voltages are according to what it says next to them and are not bouncing up and down. like +12v should be just over 12.000 (mines at 12.380), same for +5v and so on. Im pretty sure.

Edit. Install coolbits and enable "fan always on" in the overclocking settings. Just a guess, not even sure it will do anything.

bunt
12-15-04, 01:31 PM
Ok I will check that now..

bunt
12-15-04, 01:43 PM
CPU temp - 44C/111F
M/B temp - 35C/95F
CPU fan speed - 4097 rpm
Chassis fan speed - n/a (?????)
Vcore - 1.674 V
+3.30 V - 3.323 V
+5.00 V - 5.056 V
+12.00 V - 12.322 V

see anything??

lmetza
12-15-04, 01:50 PM
looks about right there. This is odd.

bunt
12-15-04, 01:53 PM
what is the chassis fan speed?

lmetza
12-15-04, 01:58 PM
case fan, if you dont have a case fan hooked up to your motherboard or if it doesnt have the wire to monitor speed, then it wont display any speed there.

$n][pErMan
12-15-04, 02:00 PM
Very ... very odd. I assume you checked to make sure the fan was plugged into the card and/or an extra power dongle from the PSU?

bunt
12-15-04, 02:59 PM
[pErMan']Very ... very odd. I assume you checked to make sure the fan was plugged into the card and/or an extra power dongle from the PSU? yep..here is what i did....

http://img150.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img150&image=14150080029ps.jpg

and that goes for my 5600 as well.

lmetza
12-15-04, 03:25 PM
Well obviously somehow the card isnt getting the power to spin up the fan and its 2 cards that are having the issue so you can probably rule out that its the card.So that brings us down to the mainboard or PSU. Now ur PSU is outputting good voltage, so it might not be that but not 100% sure on that, but if the PSU where not outputting the right voltage you would get a prompt on startup (if it isn't enough power) alerting you of it and your clockspeeds would be lowered automaticly.
I take it the cards both work and display on your monitor?
So there might be a possibility that the AGP slot is not providing enough power to the card/s. If you have some compressed air, get real close to the AGP slot and make sure there is no dust in there. Double check your power connector going into the mainboard and make sure its in there good too.

Decimator
12-15-04, 05:07 PM
If your PSU has any other 12V connectors (for example the one for your CD-ROM) you could try using them instead to see if it's a bad connection, I would also try and avoid running it for too long seeing as how your graphics card isn't being cooled.

neopiper
11-13-05, 10:34 AM
i have same problem with my MSI 6600GT, if i install nvidia drivers, once it gets into windows, it stop spinning, if i uninstall the drivers it spins again, anyone have a solution for this?

$n][pErMan
11-13-05, 10:06 PM
damn .. id be worried about the card if it was running for some time before you discovered this... :(

rUn-gUn
02-20-06, 01:39 PM
wow I have this EXACT same problem, I have a 6800GT and noticed crazy temps but I thought it was just a problem with the stock hs/fan cuz I read that its ****... So I went out and got a NVSILENCER 5 revision 3 and installed it , and the fan doesn't spin on it... Its brand new so something else has to be causeing this problem I dont know wtf it is.

jeffmd
02-20-06, 06:20 PM
Heres a wild guess, as I am only guessing this is how things "work" in this area..

Some of the lines in the agp slot provide power.. While the electronics might be drawing full power from the molex connection, your fan MIGHT be drawing its power from the agp slot. If so, and both cards cpu fans arnt running, there may be something blown out in your motherboard.