PDA

View Full Version : Zalman NV5 alternative

Pages : [1] 2

Mud
12-15-04, 06:45 PM
anyone got one? i'm considering one but the RAMsinks don't look too hot...shame they don't give C/W figures.

http://www.zalmanusa.com/images/product_img/cooler/vf700_cu01.jpg (http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=149&code=013)

Specifications

- Dimensions : 91(L) x 126.4(W) x 30(H)mm
- Weight : 270g
- Base Material : Pure Copper
- Bearing Type : 2-Ball
- Speed : 1,350 ~ 2,650rpm กพ 10%
- Noise Level : 18.5 ~ 28.5dB กพ 10%

GlowStick
12-15-04, 07:09 PM
That is the first ive sceen of that desgin, however it looks very cool. Their "Flower" CPU coolers did quite well, this may follow in its footsteps.

Id prefer zalman over Artic Cooling my self.

imemine
12-15-04, 07:17 PM
zalman told me theyd arrive in the us on the 24th, and be out to vendors on the 28th on this. i have an ultra6800 and ill test one, but am wary of the lack of memory cooling except for the small aluminum sinks, i guess they figured the air from the main sink would spread out, plus i have a 7700cu from zalman so maybe theyll give me more coverage then the xp120 i just took out to try the 7700cu...
plus i thougth theyd take advantage of the second slot to expel that nasty hot air, but no....

GlowStick
12-15-04, 07:20 PM
I really woudlnt be worried about the ram sinks, but some copper alternatives may fit from other companys, but id get the cooler first before makeing any commitments!

insider
12-15-04, 07:45 PM
The ram chips don't get too hot anyway, the OCZ and Vantec copper ramsinks should fit fine under that Zalman heatsink as they are both low profile.

What I'd really like to see is an option to screw an 80/92mm fan of your choice on top of that copper heatsink, now that should make it a very impressive cooling solution!

Slammin
12-15-04, 07:55 PM
I use even smaller aluminum ram sinks and they do great.

LoneWolf15
12-15-04, 08:30 PM
The Zalman might cool well, but I do like the fact that the NV5 exhausts hot air out the back of the case, lowering GPU temps and ambient case temperature too. I'd also be concerned about the weight the Zalman might put on a card.

insider
12-15-04, 08:35 PM
I actually modded my NV5 by screwing off the plastic casing along with the fan and screwed a 60mm fan directly on top of the heatsink fins, as the plastic casing no longer block airflow to the cards PCB and I have a Vantec spectrum slot cooler blowing air directly up onto the card, it runs cooler overall. (xmasgrin)

noko
12-15-04, 10:30 PM
This may work for my case, I have my A/C unit blowing directly over my 6800GT, right now at 1.1c (just above freezing :D). Not sure if this would give any clear benefit in the long run. I think I will wait and see how this HSF performs first on other people cards. It does look really good.

einstein_314
12-15-04, 10:43 PM
This may work for my case, I have my A/C unit blowing directly over my 6800GT, right now at 1.1c (just above freezing :D). Not sure if this would give any clear benefit in the long run. I think I will wait and see how this HSF performs first on other people cards. It does look really good.

1.1c. that's awesome.

Tyr-Sog
12-16-04, 12:10 AM
I think it's going to be hard pressed to beat the performance of the NV5.

In my case(and on average) with the NV5.

6c off ambient
6c off idel
20c of load.

Nice.

Pandora's Box
12-16-04, 12:22 AM
omfg i am going to purchase that.

jAkUp
12-16-04, 01:10 AM
That things awesome looking!

Darkoz
12-16-04, 01:17 AM
I think it's going to be hard pressed to beat the performance of the NV5.

In my case(and on average) with the NV5.

6c off ambient
6c off idel
20c of load.

Nice.

Being Zalman, this will be a far better quality product than the NV5.
The heatsink base has a mirror finish, is an all copper design, and uses a 90mm radial fan.
As soon as these are available, my NV5 is going to be replaced without hesitation.

jAkUp
12-16-04, 01:20 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to.... most of Zalman's products are focused around noise level, not necessarly cooling ability. I may be wrong though.

Darkoz
12-16-04, 01:59 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to.... most of Zalman's products are focused around noise level, not necessarly cooling ability. I may be wrong though.

No different to the NV5's marketing pitch.

jAkUp
12-16-04, 02:00 AM
Heh, yea I guess you have a point there

insider
12-16-04, 07:26 AM
What I need is a Thermalright cooler. ;)

GlowStick
12-16-04, 11:49 AM
Im not sure about cooling effectiveness.

But i belive that Zalman will be manufacutred to a higher quality, to be honest with all the reports and complaints of NV5's not be machined enough, needing more lapping, and the fan motor being installed wrong incident, not to mention the Ultra bracket situation, i just feel that Artic Cooling isnt as high quality as zalman.

mustrum
12-16-04, 02:17 PM
Im not sure about cooling effectiveness.

But i belive that Zalman will be manufacutred to a higher quality, to be honest with all the reports and complaints of NV5's not be machined enough, needing more lapping, and the fan motor being installed wrong incident, not to mention the Ultra bracket situation, i just feel that Artic Cooling isnt as high quality as zalman.
It's cheaper so what do you expect?

GlowStick
12-16-04, 02:24 PM
It's cheaper so what do you expect?
Quality Control.

Shipping units with the fans i backwards is really bad.

They are not cheep enough where i would expect crap qualtiy, 30-40 is still alot for such a small peice of merchandice.

LoneWolf15
12-16-04, 03:23 PM
Being Zalman, this will be a far better quality product than the NV5.
The heatsink base has a mirror finish, is an all copper design, and uses a 90mm radial fan.
As soon as these are available, my NV5 is going to be replaced without hesitation.Lapping one's NV5 takes care of the finish issue; I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but it only took me 40 minutes or so to get mine the way I wanted it. I still can't see why you'd want the Zalman in comparison when it will do nothing to remove the hot air from the case, and will likely place a far heavier load on the card due to weight and only two mount points as opposed to the four of the NV5. I don't argue that Zalman has some decent quiet cooling solutions, but in this case I don't think all-copper will provide a huge benefit for the small die of the NV40 GPU, and it will continue to recirculate the same air heated up by the GPU around the case, rather than removing it.

P.S. Glowstick, the NV Silencer is available for as low as $21.95USD...Jab-tech.com has them.

Slammin
12-16-04, 03:42 PM
The Zalman would be out of the question for me for the same reason the stock cooler had to go. I o/c the crap out of my cpu and only have air cooling, and the stock cooler brought my ambient temps up too high for my setup.

The guy that thought his fan was reversed finally did admit that what he thought was a reversed fan on his NV5 was in fact blow-back turbulance, just as everyone was telling him. As for fit and finish, the NV5 cannot be totally blamed there because there is a variance on the 6800 boards that make some ram chips sit higher, or lower than others. For this reason, I consider the NV5 more of a hobbiest add-on. Just slop the AS5 on thick and be done with it, or, lap it if you want, and then shave down those memory pads a bit if you have to. Or do what I did and cut the memory pads off and use ramsinks :-)

This Zalman cooler does look great and with really good case cooling will probably outperform an NV5, and if you don't have any existing heat issues will probably work great for you. Definitely a step up from the stock cooler, no doubt.

saturnotaku
12-16-04, 04:08 PM
I'd be afraid of the Zalman ripping the card out of the AGP/PCI-E slot. It looks really heavy.

monly
12-16-04, 04:57 PM
its 270 grams.... i dont think 270 grams will pull the screw loose.