PDA

View Full Version : Vampire: Bloodlines

zyklon69
12-15-04, 09:52 PM
I have a 6800gt and this game does not run that great at 1600x1200, its also not very visually impressive. How does it run for you guys?

Vagrant Zero
12-15-04, 09:55 PM
Runs fine at 1600x1200 8xS. On occasion I get a dip here and there...but that's the source engine choking, not my vid card.

Optimummind
12-15-04, 10:48 PM
I play in either of these 2 modes:

(1) 1280x1024 with No AA and no AF

or

(2) 1024x768 with 4xAA and 8xAF

I found that the level of performance is similar between those two. The (2) mode runs a bit better for me so I chose to play in mode (2) in the 2nd run of the game as a different clan member.

I turn off all background appz except for NAV2005 and ZA Pro. I set two paging files--a smaller one on the C drive and a larger one on a separate HDD.

I tried the low-CPU priority trick but it didn't help me as much.

Overall, the game runs well with a few stutters in the city hub areas. But even those are temporary and few.

Fun game.

MUYA
12-15-04, 11:16 PM
What has this to do with forceware?

Not visually impressive maybe you have set some in game settings wrong or thats the way the game is?

NOTHING TO DO WITH FORCEWARE

START A THREAD IN THE RIGHT SECTION

msxyz
12-16-04, 05:53 AM
Vampire Bloodlines is a good action-RPG but its implementation really sucks... I can play Half Life 2 on my rig with AA2x and AF at 1024x768, but not Vampire Bloodlines. Many times the framerate falls even below 10 fps! All of this considering that even the nearly three years old Unreal engine 2 should be able to render the same, if not better, graphics.

I don't think the problem is the Source Engine but rather poor coding. Many people (including me) lament memory leaks, occasional crashes and very poor performance. I've read threads in the support forums of people with Athlon FXs and GeForces 6800 having horrible performance problems too. The list can go on: animation is poorly done with bad clipping and unrealistic mesh distortions, the physique interaction is very approximative, AI is quite limited.

Troika is composed of people with lot of talent and good experience in the RPG but they should really invest more resources in the coding. Considering that Vampire: Bloodlines was ready nearly 1 year ago, one wonders why they did not spend the extra time improving performance and fixing bugs.

PaiN
12-16-04, 06:09 AM
I've had the game since it came out.....but I stopped playing.
Its a great A-RPG and I don't want my opinion of it mared by "technical" issues. So I stopped playing as I wait for a patch :rolleyes:

For me no matter what settings I played on performance also seems to go down hill fast.....the game has heavy duty memory leaks.

msxyz
12-16-04, 09:08 AM
The sad thing is that a week or so after the release of the game there was already out an "unofficial patch" out fixing most bugs with quests and incorrect dialogs. It's nothing more than a collection of scripts overwriting the original ones (no hacks or anything nasty) but:

1) It works: it's almost impossbile to finish the game without incurring in a couple of serious bugs that without this patch are otherwise left unadressed by Troika/Activision still one month after Vampire: bloodlines hit the stores

2) as I said, they're only scripts, nothing more than .txt files: if a user (no doubt a resourceful one) could made this patch in a week spare time, why Troika overlooked such simple yet important fixes ?

3) Where was the quality assurance control of Activision? Did they test the game before releasing at all? This software is more buggy and unpolished than many beta releases! And I've seen a few...

A perfect example how to spoil, ruin an otherwise good product. Needless to say, I'll think twice before buying other products from Activision. I blame them above anyone else for letting this unfinished (or, should I say rushed out) piece of software to hit the shelves.

Vagrant Zero
12-16-04, 02:13 PM
A perfect example how to spoil, ruin an otherwise good product. Needless to say, I'll think twice before buying other products from Activision. I blame them above anyone else for letting this unfinished (or, should I say rushed out) piece of software to hit the shelves.

I don't know how Troika runs shop but Bioware has it's own in-house QA team. Well then again Biogames are also known for being buggy [though not to the extent of Bloodlines] so that's not too helpful.

zyklon69
12-16-04, 04:32 PM
hey MUYA, you're a f'in nerd, relax, jesus christmas

vampireuk
12-16-04, 05:34 PM
hey MUYA, you're a f'in nerd, relax, jesus christmas

You might want to reconsider what you post :retard:

Parts
12-17-04, 03:48 AM
The game is fun, I had good frames with 8xAF and 4xAA at 1024x768... all maxed out

It did have a lot of bugs though... one I actually had to bring down the console to type in some code to get past it lol

Ending was a real disapointment too, at least the one I got.... actually made me feel like I wasted all those hours playing the game.

MOTÖRHEAD
12-17-04, 06:42 PM
I like this game but I am waiting for the patch to play and finish it the way it was meant to be played. Anyone know when they are going to release a patch for this game ??

Vagrant Zero
12-17-04, 11:03 PM
The game is fun, I had good frames with 8xAF and 4xAA at 1024x768... all maxed out

It did have a lot of bugs though... one I actually had to bring down the console to type in some code to get past it lol

Ending was a real disapointment too, at least the one I got.... actually made me feel like I wasted all those hours playing the game.

Which ending did you get? Camarilla or Anarch? I've heard the Anarch ending is bleh.

Parts
12-21-04, 01:39 PM
I think it was Camarilla... Id just say what it was, but I dont wanna spoil anything for peoples.... lets just say I didnt like what was in the coffin.

Mike89
12-23-04, 12:26 AM
Not visually impressive?

Jeez man, this game looks fabulous! Doom 3, Far Cry, HL2, Vampire, Riddick. I couldn't say any one has a graphic edge over the other. All look absolutely stunning in their own way. Anyone who says otherwise, I just don't know what they're looking at or what they're expecting. Might as well just quit playing games and go watch movies or something.

Badash
12-26-04, 08:31 PM
This seems stupid, but how do you get your attacks to work using bare fists?