PDA

View Full Version : 512 MB for games..just doesn't cut it anymore?

Pages : [1] 2

0rk.p0rk
12-15-04, 10:12 PM
I don't know why, but with my a64 3000+ and BFG Geforce 6800U, Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth likes to skip. A lot. Even when I water the game down into the "Low" settings mark, it feels like stopping at certain parts, freezing the screen, and then working again. Don't get me wrong. I am not "lagging", the game runs on fluidly on Ultra High and Low just the same. But occasionally (the more "frequent" occasionally) the game bogs down to a freeze once a new unit is produced, or if I'm uncovering new territory, or if I'm just plain walking Gandalf and friends to their uncertain doom.

This has happened to me with Doom 3 as well, whenever a door opened I'd get a little freeze, and I'm free to go. The only remedy for this was to play through the level, and the doors stop freezing my game. (usually) I think after dying to the Balrog 4 times, I noticed on the 5th time when Gandalf starts talking and the Balrog is summoned, it did so fluidly with no pauses. This was not the case just 4 deaths ago, where it bogged down my system to a crawl. Doom 3 had a nifty little trick though, uncompressing the compressed files so it would move more freely and more accessible to my memory. This stopped the freezes and the gameplay was MUCH smoother.

So, as I look at this baby, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-321&depa=1, I begin to not only wonder if it will be compaitable with my system but if 512 mb of ram is just not enough?

512, to me, used to be a huge amount. Unstoppable. Powerful. But I don't know what else could be bringing my system to it's knees. Damn good processor, damn good video card, hard drive is pretty old but for the most part has been stable. I had download Battle for Middle Earth, but _ONLY_ because ever since C&C Generals I have been wary of buying an RTS game, because I really don't bother with campaign and to me multiplayer is the juicy part of the game. So I download the DVD version, mount the image, and install. If I like the gameplay, I'll buy it and hopefully have a wonderful time in multiplayer. If it sucks, into the recycling bin it goes. So far I've been tempted to do the latter. Doom 3 I had bought, so maybe it IS the ram.

Right now I'm even a little scared that 1 gig of ram will not be enough.

LiquidX
12-15-04, 10:23 PM
I use to say 512 was enough and it was true for many games because many ran on the Quake engine and or took advantage of DX.7-8 which is not as extensive as DX.9 but not anymore and many have finally trully taken advantage of DX9 and also bringing there own very complex engines. Just trying running MOH: PA on 512 ram. 1 gig now is must IMO if you really want to take advantage of the new hardware and games. If your still into mainly MOH, SOF and CS non source your good but game like FarCry, Doom3, MOH:PA, HL2 and so on run much better with a gig. Not a opinion anymore but a fact.

superklye
12-15-04, 10:38 PM
512MB is starting to show it's age for me...I can't play MoH:PA with all the details jacked up because of lack of RAM.

It's an expensive hobby we enjoy.

Vagrant Zero
12-15-04, 10:41 PM
512MB is starting to show it's age for me...I can't play MoH:PA with all the details jacked up because of lack of RAM.

It's an expensive hobby we enjoy.

Even with a gig of high performence ram my system still chokes on PA at 1600x1200 8xAF [playable, but somewhat annoying]. Let's just say it isn't the greatest engine out there.

Now with that said BfME runs perfectly for me [except for the known AA bug].

Doom3 on my first time through ran absolutely perfectly at 1600x1200 HQ 4xAA. Now on my second play-through I do get this half a second hitching which I never before. Probabley because I've been upgrading drivers without using driver cleaner.

aAv7
12-15-04, 11:52 PM
I think 1.5 Gigs is where " Gaming Rigs" should be right now. 512MB is def. way too low.

zoomy942
12-15-04, 11:56 PM
I think 1.5 Gigs is where " Gaming Rigs" should be right now. 512MB is def. way too low.

you know.. i ahve been debating for about 2 weeks now whether or not i should get another 512 of ram, but i just cant bring myself to do it yet

jAkUp
12-16-04, 12:28 AM
After seeing Doom3 and FarCry on a 512mb machine vs. a 1gb machine, I can say without a doubt, go for the extra memory first.
To see any noticable gains in processing performance you would have to shell out for a new board and processor (A64)

Go memory :)

JediKnight
12-16-04, 01:20 AM
Im using 1024MB of Kingston HyperX PC3200, and debating if I should add a Corsair XMS 512 stick I have lying around to make it 1.5 gig. The identical Kingston sticks are running in dual channel mode. Is that better or should I add the Corsair stick? Any ideas? thanks.

superklye
12-16-04, 03:15 AM
Even with a gig of high performence ram my system still chokes on PA at 1600x1200 8xAF [playable, but somewhat annoying]. Let's just say it isn't the greatest engine out there.

Now with that said BfME runs perfectly for me [except for the known AA bug].

Doom3 on my first time through ran absolutely perfectly at 1600x1200 HQ 4xAA. Now on my second play-through I do get this half a second hitching which I never before. Probabley because I've been upgrading drivers without using driver cleaner.
hmmm...that's not very encouraging about MoH:PA. But then again, max for me would be 1280x1024 w/4xAA and 16xAF. Maybe that would make a difference, maybe not.

But yeah, Doom 3 ran like a dream for me too, even with only 512MB RAM. I had it at 1280x1024 with 4xAA and 16xAF and not so much as a hiccup. That's an efficient engine.

PSYCHODAD
12-16-04, 03:32 AM
BfME runs perfectly for me [except for the known AA bug].

Same here.
Ork.pork, you might wanna think about a hard-drive replacement also. (snowman)

Vagrant Zero
12-16-04, 04:22 AM
hmmm...that's not very encouraging about MoH:PA. But then again, max for me would be 1280x1024 w/4xAA and 16xAF. Maybe that would make a difference, maybe not.

To my knowledge you can't enable AA in PA yet. There will be a second patch to address this.

superklye
12-16-04, 09:53 AM
To my knowledge you can't enable AA in PA yet. There will be a second patch to address this.
Wow...well then, it's REALLY disheartening considering I was blaming the poor performance most on the AA being enabled. :(

Riptide
12-16-04, 11:14 AM
Part of the problem that comes with going to over a gig of RAM involves one of two things, both of which can kill performance somewhat:

1) Having to run 2T command rate (bad on Athlon64 especially)
2) The 1GB sticks usually have crappy timings from what I've seen so far

A gig of 2-2-2-1T memory is the best overall right now IMO.

Kev1
12-16-04, 02:31 PM
I agree with jakup, add the 512 megs for 1 gig total memory zeero1878. I have system similar to yours with not as good video card and all my games (Halo, Doom3, UT2004, COD, NFSU) play great at 1024 x 768 (xmasmile)

Actually, with $200 budget, you could buy a 2600+ mobile cpu, which has the multipliers unlocked, and a stick of 512 megs memory too. The mobile 2600 usually can overclock to 2.3 or 2.4 ghz with air cooling. Lots of people using the mobile cpu's in MSI K7N2 Delta mobo's.

This website has info on running the mobile processor in your mobo in the MSI forums:

http://www.pcper.com/

Edge
12-16-04, 02:33 PM
It does seem games are getting VERY inefficient with their RAM usage lately. I thought Planetside was bad, but some recent games seem almost unplayable with 512 megs of ram. It's like they assume everyone has a gig of ram, and the sad thing is many of these games don't even have areas larger than the original Unreal. When I went even from 512megs to 768megs, I saw a HUGE drop in loading times in Farcry, not to mention far less pausing during gameplay. I still get a lot of stuttering in Half-life 2 though, and it's hard to tell if it's because of a bug with the engine or just because it's using virtual memory. So yeah, a gig of ram is recommended, but even 768 is enough for pretty much any new game. Amazing that even though these games eat up a gig of ram, they STILL have insanely long loading times, in fact they're getting longer...

AngelGraves13
12-17-04, 03:46 AM
Well I'm set with the memory for now, until DDR2.

JediKnight
12-17-04, 10:14 AM
99 to Life: DAAAMN!!!!!!!!

Nitz Walsh
12-17-04, 10:43 AM
A modern gaming system today demands a gig, period.

Doesn't matter if the "visible area" isn't that much larger, your modern FPS today deals with a hell of a lot more than games of the past era did. Physics, more complex AI, shaders, huge textures, etc. Could also be sloppy programming sure, but regardless a gig as a base is quickly becoming standard for what developers expect.

512 served us well as the sweet stop for some time, it's time to just face reality. Sucks for those like me who's motherboard had only 2 DIMM slots which were already occupied, so I had to purchase a whole gig instead of just tacking on another 512 - but that's the breaks.

HL2 btw, needs a gig. On my 1 GB machine, I'll actually have to wait while the desktop is swapped back in after quitting. It's voracious on memory.

CDsDontBurn
12-17-04, 11:22 AM
Im using 1024MB of Kingston HyperX PC3200, and debating if I should add a Corsair XMS 512 stick I have lying around to make it 1.5 gig. The identical Kingston sticks are running in dual channel mode. Is that better or should I add the Corsair stick? Any ideas? thanks.

Well, in that situation it would be more of a toss up. You would be losing your dual-channel capabilities, but you would be gaining 512Mb of ram. Not to mention you'd probably be getting stability issues along with the different types of memory you would have in your system.

AngelGraves13
12-17-04, 01:52 PM
99 to Life: DAAAMN!!!!!!!!

;) Always ready for the newest games. I'm waiting on the new PCI-Express cards (next generation) and SATA-300. And I'm waiting on some new forceware drivers.

Vagrant Zero
12-17-04, 11:05 PM
[b]

HL2 btw, needs a gig. On my 1 GB machine, I'll actually have to wait while the desktop is swapped back in after quitting. It's voracious on memory.

Ya but that's just crap coding. D3 exits to desktop almost immediately. Don't know how JC does it..but he does.

superklye
12-18-04, 12:00 AM
Ya but that's just crap coding. D3 exits to desktop almost immediately. Don't know how JC does it..but he does.
no kidding! I wish he would a) share the secret or b) someone would effing steal it already because for like hours afterwards HL2 causes my computer to run like crap

Edge
12-18-04, 12:27 AM
Yeah, even though I've never been impressed by the gameplay of ID's games, I must say their technology is quite refined. No random crashing, no memory leaks, no studdering, and the original games running on the engine only show a small glimpse of it's true power (would anyone have thought Heavy Metal: FAKK2 would've been possible on the Quake 3 engine if they had only played Quake 3?). I think developers really have to shape up when it comes to their games and engines, it seems like some are just plain sloppy. And now that I think about it...why can't games stream data as you play instead of having minute+ long loading times?

AngelGraves13
12-18-04, 01:56 AM
DOOM 3 loads faster than HL2 on my system, and there is no waiting for seperate parts of the level to load. DOOM 3 just has more all around polish. There's only been one patch and even before it was out the game ran fine on my system and I was able to play it through without crashes or annoying bugs. HL2 has fixed most of the bugs by now, but why didn't they fix it before it was released? Sloppy coding? No. Rushing it out the door a year late to get the $$? Yes!

msxyz
12-18-04, 03:05 AM
I added another 256MB back in fall '03 and now I'm heading directly to 1 Gb for my next system. Even many older games benefit from more than 512Mb of RAM especially if your windows XP is bloated with most of the crapware that comes from Microsoft.
You willl experience faster loading times, less occasional swapping and a bigger chance to retrieve something you already loaded from the memory cache rather than from the disk itself.

You can cut your memory usage down to 50-60MB with programs such nLite but, onestly, for modern games, 512Mb don't fit well anymore.