PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars, need opinions.

Gnu_Raiz
12-16-04, 01:42 PM
After reading a little bit about this on Usenet, it looks like its going to be a great game. Was anyone involved in the beta program over the last few months? Also has anyone seen the preview in PC Gamer, which should be out according to the Guild Wars website. This looks like it could be the game I play until Kotr2 comes out for the PC.

Gnu_Raiz

Connaught
12-16-04, 02:38 PM
My first reaction of the game was WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With the awesome graphics (interms of fps and quality), easy to learn gameplay and (once you understand it) easy crafting, i was immediatley hooked. It was only after 8-10 hours of gameplay that I started to get bored with it. Here is why:
- Simple repeditive missions. Simply put, every level is close to the excate some thing, find the path to the finish line while killing everything in your way. There was no veriety to the different missions/quests.
- No player housing. Again another big downer, I like to think that when I grow as a player that I'm gaining prestege. In guild wars, at the end of the day you are no different from any other player other than lvl and armor.

Overall the game seems a little too simple for my liking and should not be put into the same class as Everquest 2 and WOW. Its simple repeditive nature reminds me more of an online action game (counter-strike) than a role playing game. Sure there are Guild "Wars" but, I image that even then it will get repeditive.
If thats what you are looking for than my all means I would highly recommend Guild Wars. If you are looking for a MMORPG with depth, longevity and, diversity than I would suggest you stay away from Guild Wars.

Mr. Hunt
12-16-04, 03:00 PM
It depends... to me it was more a version of Diablo 2 online with good graphics and stuff than a true MMORPG. I liked it quite a bit... I like the fact that you pay for the game and you have no monthly fees. I like that it is very simple to get into and things. I hear new missions will be added every month (or 2 months or something). I liked the way you could have a main class and a "sub" class... you could pick Ranger as your main and have some good Warrior stats/skills on the side which is nice compared to most MMORPGs I have played where you pick a class and you are stuck until you hit a certain level (usually 10) and then you choose a profession and then that is that.

But I have a few problems with it also. I dislike the 20 level limit (I HATE limits like that... the reason I loved the original Asheron's Call was because you could do anything). I dislike the lack of customization for the characters... you get only a few options and I saw a billion other players running around that looked exactly the same as me.

I can't think of the other advantages/disadvantages right now... but I am sure there are more.

saturnotaku
12-16-04, 04:04 PM
The graphics definitely had the "wow" factor going on, but as far as gameplay was concerned, there wasn't a whole lot there. The control scheme was extremely counter-intuitive. I cancelled my pre-order and invested it in Halo 2 - that money was far more well spent.

vampireuk
12-16-04, 04:08 PM
The gameplay has been the same since the E3 demo, terrible. I think the only reason people like it is because it is going to be free. The pvp is terrible, unless you are a warrior you have no chance at beating somebody, a ranger in pvp is as good as dead the moment he enters the game.

Mr. Hunt
12-16-04, 04:55 PM
I was actually fine with my Ranger/Monk combo in PVP... I didn't do great... but I could take out a few people. You just had to use good moves (use that attack that will slow their movement and then just sort of kite them :\).

-=DVS=-
12-16-04, 05:02 PM
Playing beta all the time , Guild Wars is very fun action game like Diablo 2 , its not complex i would not call it real MMORPG , there is only few classes items very simple based on lvl and or skill , quests are very straight forward , Its basicly PvP with guilds there are few zones to explore you kill some creatures get xp sometimes loot , very simple crafting system. PvP is based on lvl, items , and team work, it is fun at first but gets old eventually , best thing about Guild Wars nice graphics no more load screens and update screens you get everything real time , i rarely experianced any lag.

Killall
12-25-04, 11:39 AM
Played 1 weekend beta and i loved it.. got EQ2 now but gonna quit it when Guildwars is released. All MMORPG of these days are basicly the same... killing mobs to lvl up and a tradeskill system. Guild Wars is no different except it will be free of charge every month and u got a pvp system that everquest and WoW (not yet anyways) doesnt even have. Definatly worth getting this game.

K007
12-26-04, 06:51 AM
Played 5 mins on E3 Testing, waited till the next event, played solid through the entire weekend, and the next one, and the one after (Dec), all of which i enjoyed alot, and i have alreayd pre ordered this game and looking forward to this game in Feb when its finally released to play it.

This game just bloody owns, its free, it has bloody no lag (Australia), its 1 server, great graphics, awsome gameplay, pvp just hands down OWN!, expantion packs will be made avaialable but you dont have to buy it in order to play the game, you can still play with your mates (As long as they play in the same chapter). This game is about strategy and skill and not about how many hours you grinded your character like in many MMORPG games out there.

Also there are Dual Classes, Prim and Secondary, with Prim having special elite skills and allowing to have another class opens door's to alot of combo's.

This game is like RTS/FPS/MMORPG all in one.

Vash
12-26-04, 10:52 AM
I played during the first beta weekend, and I had a blast. I'm definitely going to be getting it when it comes out. The only parts of the game that I didn't enjoy were the parts that I didn't know how to operate - such as crafting, and the finer nuances of combat.

I'm looking forward to starting up a new character in February and really learning the bones of the system.

K007
12-26-04, 11:30 PM
Crafting you get used to it. It is not really needed to craft, but there is a bit of item collecting here.

lIqUID
12-27-04, 11:23 AM
Its does get boring unless you hook in with some Guild fighting then its fun as hell. I find its a great game and hope it succeeds vastly so maybe it will pave the way for more "free" MMOs

DaveW
12-27-04, 03:34 PM
Its does get boring unless you hook in with some Guild fighting then its fun as hell. I find its a great game and hope it succeeds vastly so maybe it will pave the way for more "free" MMOs

I don't think it will, but i'm hoping for that too. This 15 bucks a month crap has to end.

Ruined
12-27-04, 03:58 PM
played it during open beta, found it too generic and got old fast.

I'd go with WOW, or the upcoming Tabula Rasa looks cool and more similar to guild wars in layout.

|MaguS|
12-27-04, 04:01 PM
Why do poeple keep comparing GW to any MMORPG? It's nothing more then a Diablo clone that allows 19 people on a single area. It's not anything like a MMORPG...

Euphoria
12-27-04, 04:54 PM
I played during the two beta testings and I loved it.

K007
12-28-04, 12:07 AM
I got a wee bit bored on the PVE, but thats because ive played more than 60 hours on the lvl 15+ quests...come to think of it prob 90 hours, so i went to some pvp, just randoms, and man SO GOD DAM FUN! Cant wait, and there were soo many towns that i didnt get to explore :(, i will find them on jan 7th >D