ftp://download.nvidia.com/windows/66.94/

Looks like a Windows 9x only for me.

Heck, who is still using Win9x ;-)

Gumby84
12-16-04, 03:41 PM
You'd be suprised.... (xmasmile)

NAZCA M12
12-17-04, 12:00 AM
I recently saw at Guru the latest beta 9x/Me drivers getting sth like 5000 downloads. Probably one guy downloading it 5000 times. (xmastong) Anyhow, thanks for the info Gumby84 :D

metalloid
12-30-04, 04:30 AM
ftp://download.nvidia.com/windows/66.94/

I've downloaded this long anticipated updated a few days ago, an was pleasantly surprised by the new features (xmasmile)
I have not been able to use it on my system with full succes though
In 2D (desktop) mode everything looks fine on my Albatron GeForce FX5700 /128Mb card, but when I ran dxdiag I got some display errors:
- direct-draw test1 in was ok
- direct-draw test2 in was ok
- direct-draw test3 (full screen white box) failed: there were some artefacts on the screen and the background was not black but light-grey
- direct-3d test1 (direct-3d7 had similar artefacts)
- direct-3d test2 (direct-3d8) had a light grey background and artefacts on the screen)
- direct-3d test3 (direct-3d9) had a light grey background, horizontal dark stripes and te spinning cube was offset a bit to the upperside of the screen.

When I repeated the direct-draw 1 test nothing was displayed on the screen.

I tried to play NFS8_Underground2 (after a restart) and naturally got problems with the display

My hardware setup is:
- Asus A7N8X-E deluxe motherboard
- AMD Barton XP2600+ CPU
- 2 x 512Mb Mushkin DDR PC3200 (dual-channel)
- Albatron Geforce FX5700 EP /128Mb vga card
- Promise FastTrack TX200 raid-controller
- RealMagic Hollywood+ MPEG2 decoder
- SB128 soundcard

It seems that some other people also have problems with this driver version.
Will NVidia address these problems soon?

--
Regards

saturnotaku
12-30-04, 07:44 AM
It seems that some other people also have problems with this driver version.
Will NVidia address these problems soon?

--
Regards

Probably not considering that no one in their right mind would be using 9x on a modern machine.

TableTop
12-30-04, 12:50 PM
Last week, nVIDIA support told me new Win 9x/ME drivers would be out "shortly" ("a matter of weeks"). Apparently, the wrong-minded are sufficiently numerous to warrant further support.

$n][pErMan
12-30-04, 01:24 PM
Hehe... I should use Win98 just for ****s and giggles. 98SE was a solid OS. I think I have BSOD'ed more times on WinXP Pro than I ever did on Win98SE :p

ynnek
12-30-04, 03:27 PM
really? I thought 98 was was the worse one out... 95 OSR2 was much more stable..

WinXP and 2000 have been great for me.. Only time I had BSOD was a flakey Linksys USB wireless network adapter driver... which may have been stepping on a Netgear's USB wireless network adapter driver..

At work however, Windows XP Pro's windows explorer occasionally starts acting funny, like not autohiding the bar.. I just end task and restart it.. Happens about once every week or so.. which makes sense since I think that was Microsoft's initial stability target ( 1 workweek without rebooting)

[pErMan']Hehe... I should use Win98 just for ****s and giggles. 98SE was a solid OS. I think I have BSOD'ed more times on WinXP Pro than I ever did on Win98SE :p

$n][pErMan
12-31-04, 01:58 AM
98SE was stable as hell for me. I used it for 3 years without formatting once and it ran great. XP Pro has been stable for me till I decided to update my nvidia drivers and have been getting BSOD's which have to do with "portcls.sys" (a windows audio controller file) for weeks now in games when I enable hardware sound. :(

Maliki2
12-31-04, 02:19 AM
Looks like a Windows 9x only for me.

Heck, who is still using Win9x ;-)

I have to agree with you there lol!

xenus
01-02-05, 09:05 AM
Had the same problem with two A7N8X-E m/b running Windows ME with both 5200 and 5700 cards and various 6x.xx versions including 66.94

Tried a re-install and got the same issue with DirectX 7.

Symptoms include dxdiag directdraw test failures and strange problems with 3Dmark.

I'd like a fix for this to run my 6600 GT.

If nVidia can't properly support the Win9x drivers they should say so, so we can plan an upgrade.

Will be trying driver options and reverting to 5x.xx drivers to find a working driver.

3dfxzombie
01-04-05, 02:58 PM
I have these problems too. 3rd directdraw test fails in dxdiag. DVD won't run and 3dmark99 only shows a white screen. ( yes, 3dmard 99 :) ).

And to all the 0 IQ's wondering who in their right mind still uses win 9x, I will give you a hint: There are people who have been playing longer than 2 years and still love to play their old games once in a while.

I have a XP/ME dual boot system. I only use ME for the older games and it worked perfectly until I bought the 6600GT. :mad:
I don't understand why Nvidia releases such buggy drivers. Don't they run dxdiag at the very least?

kRogue
01-05-05, 08:57 AM
yeh, I got the same isues with 66.94... looks like the monitor timings are set improperly... lots of games get trashed.. all looking like the refresh rate for the monitor is all messed up.... for driver 61.76, several old games (like DeusEx, Hallf-Life) will make my system crash (badly) infact so badly that when Windows reboots it gets a "protection error" only way to get windwos up and running agian for me is to remove the dirvers via safe mode, then reboot [except that when this happens righ clicking menu loses the "new" options, re-installing Internet Explorer brings that back] so I am running (ahem) 56.64 (drivers that came with my graphics card) HalfLife 2 has issues with it though; some objects are missing all their textures.... such a hassle...

for those that think XP is the way to go there are a few things that will forever stop me from getting it:
1) lots of my old games won't run on it
2) I am not giving more $$ to MS for 2nd rate stuff, moreover the product registration and XP's "contact homebase Microsoft" is jsut so dodgy... on a mahcine using a modem, an XP box will use up to 25% of its bandwidth talking with Microsoft sites....

3) [big reason here] XP is the nastiest virus/malware/spyware relay on Eatrh... nowadays the advice is to not use InternetExplorer (but FireFox) avoid MS's Media player.... there are a host of flaws in XP that do not have a fix, and these are used by the nasties out there.... I run antivirus on my Win9x system, but how many virus headline have you seen where the virus attacks/exploits Win9x machines nowadays? On win9x one can even remove Internet Explorer completely (thanks to a program called 98lite)

4) only one game tht I like needs XP: Doom3, and that I have running in Linux.... now all I wish is for HalfLife2 to be under Linux too... that and WineX to be good eough to run all my other older games... I really wish to drop windows altogehter soon....

(my 2 cents up there)

My System:
Asus A7N8X-X,
512 MB RAM
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
GeFroce 5900XT
SBLive! [ancient]
D-LNK 528 Enet
Win98SE
DirectX v9.0c

Best Regards

TableTop
01-05-05, 10:00 AM
Doom 3 will run fine under Win9x/ME with a two byte patch to the executable (it installs as is, just won't run without patch). Id just doesn't support it. It appears that the OpenGL part of the drivers is much better than the DirectX part.

Desperado
01-05-05, 11:13 AM
yeh, I got the same isues with 66.94... looks like the monitor timings are set improperly... lots of games get trashed.. all looking like the refresh rate for the monitor is all messed up.... for driver 61.76, several old games (like DeusEx, Hallf-Life) will make my system crash (badly) infact so badly that when Windows reboots it gets a "protection error" only way to get windwos up and running agian for me is to remove the dirvers via safe mode, then reboot [except that when this happens righ clicking menu loses the "new" options, re-installing Internet Explorer brings that back] so I am running (ahem) 56.64 (drivers that came with my graphics card) HalfLife 2 has issues with it though; some objects are missing all their textures.... such a hassle...

I have exactly the same problems. The 6x.xx drivers screw up old and new games (1insane, Need for Speed Underground). With 61.76 the games crash on startup. With 66.94 the games load but have horrendously corrupted graphics. Using 56.64 Half-life 2 loses some of its textures and some guns and objects show up white!

I have similar system specs as kRogue. Is Nvidia listening?

My System:
MSI KT266-2a,
512 MB RAM
AMD Athlon XP 1600+
GeForce 5900XT
SBLive!
WinMe
DirectX v9.0c

kRogue
01-05-05, 05:49 PM
doom3 on on win9x, where is this simple (unsuppoted) patch?

Best Regards

kRogue
01-06-05, 05:13 AM
Just an update on the trashed monitor look for win9x with driver 66.94: wen I take a look at the monitor refresh rates that the video card requests (via my monitors controls) the V-refresh is fine, but the H-refresh has different values (for the same resolution) of Desktop vs. DirectX ... is there a place in the registry to set the refresh rates (both vertical and horizontal)? I'm thinking that if I can set the H-rates to be the same for games as for he desktop, all wiill be fine.

Best Regards

Desperado
01-06-05, 10:27 AM
Just an update on the trashed monitor look for win9x with driver 66.94: wen I take a look at the monitor refresh rates that the video card requests (via my monitors controls) the V-refresh is fine, but the H-refresh has different values (for the same resolution) of Desktop vs. DirectX ... is there a place in the registry to set the refresh rates (both vertical and horizontal)? I'm thinking that if I can set the H-rates to be the same for games as for he desktop, all wiill be fine.

Interesting... I can't check mine since I'm a work. I can look tonight. Let me know if you find anything out!

-Despy

xenus
01-07-05, 06:53 PM
Hello nVidia forum! More folks with 66.94 issues.

[URL=http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t1044.html]

I'm sticking with 66.94 in order to use my Aopen 6600GT.

The buggy drivers don't consistently fail the same way in dxdiag and a few times I thought I had a work-around - but no luck.

Tried an FX 5200 and FX 5700 card and saw the same bugs. The 6600 GT is powered Ok and the fan runs fine with temps reported below 50C.

dxdiag fails both 2D and 3D either completely or with artifacts.
3Dmark 2000 fails, 2001 sometimes runs, mostly gets purple flashing and missing textures.
2003 flickers very badly and runs very slowly on all cards eventually failing with an out of graphics memory error.

Tried changing quality levels, tried changing rendering 3 frames ahead to zero, suggested in another thread.

Seeing similar problems with 61.76, looks like 56.64 is the best bet for FX and below cards.

My specs:
A7N8x-E deluxe
AMD 3200+
1GB Corsair value select (CL2.5)
Aopen 6600GT AGP
Iiyama VM Pro 454
WinME (dual boot for LInux)
DirectX 9.0c
nforce2 4.27 drivers

Similar issues seem to be in the 66.93 drivers for XP also.
:mad:

metalloid
01-10-05, 10:12 PM
Hi Xenus :)

I've gone a bit further and tried a beta version (66.42) which had the same artefacts as I stated in my first post. You may want to try it (it's on mobilenvidia's site); maybe that one works well for you.
V61.67 works well here under 98se on the FX5700.

BTW.
Have you had problems with the soundchip on your A7N8X0E mainboard under win-ME?
I'm having serious problems with it (and I tried the shipped, Asus' latest and NVidia's latest driver) under 98se :(
I haven't tried a clean win-ME install yet though. :o
The symptoms are that the Audio Processing Unit times out when the driver tries to initialize it (after I do a restart) and windows simply gives up after a while (60 secs or more). Then the machine restarts after which the APU does initialize properly. Have you ever faced such a problem under win-ME with your Asus board?

Regards
--

Had the same problem with two A7N8X-E m/b running Windows ME with both 5200 and 5700 cards and various 6x.xx versions including 66.94

Tried a re-install and got the same issue with DirectX 7.

Symptoms include dxdiag directdraw test failures and strange problems with 3Dmark.

I'd like a fix for this to run my 6600 GT.

If nVidia can't properly support the Win9x drivers they should say so, so we can plan an upgrade.

Will be trying driver options and reverting to 5x.xx drivers to find a working driver.

metalloid
01-10-05, 10:23 PM
Hi 3DFXzombie :)

You've pointed a strong reason for running 9x. I not only have many old games which I run, but also some specialized software (to control special hardware) which doesn't need updates to win-2K or XP.
Another reason is that the system runs very fast in such a light OS. It literally flies AND I'm not prone to the many intrusion attempts which plague XP (due to the games that script-kiddies, etc play)
This machine triple-boots :D in Linux / 98se / XP

Regards
--

And to all the 0 IQ's wondering who in their right mind still uses win 9x, I will give you a hint: There are people who have been playing longer than 2 years and still love to play their old games once in a while.

I have a XP/ME dual boot system. I only use ME for the older games and it worked perfectly until I bought the 6600GT. :mad:
I don't understand why Nvidia releases such buggy drivers. Don't they run dxdiag at the very least?

Lex Luthor
01-18-05, 08:38 PM
Ditto on the 66.94. They did the same thing with my TI4200. I got a 6600GT and must use them.

So what if I'm crazy, I don't care ;)

Whats BSOD? :D

With all that considered, I will probally install XP as a dual boot.

(Im)Patiently waiting for the new drivers :afro:

Lex

Now where did I put that Kryptonite???????

xenus
01-31-05, 05:08 PM
Well, I got an RMA from Scan when I noted the issues with the 6600 GT and 66.94 drivers. So I sent the card back.

Guess what, they say it works perfectly on their test PC :confused:

Any bets on whether they tested on their default WinXP machine :eek:

I did send them my dxdiag report so they know my setup.

Waiting to hear how they ran their tests and what steps will fix my setup....

Customer Service so far 2 out of 10 - quick reply but no clue.