PDA

View Full Version : HL2 Stuttering? Have you experienced it?

Pages : [1] 2

WeReWoLf
12-16-04, 04:50 PM
As the argument continually grows, i just wanted to find out just how many have had the stutter and how many haven't.

*EDIT: Just remember, i'm talking about if you have EVER experienced stuttering.

nVidi0t
12-16-04, 04:53 PM
Smooth as Buttah!

LiquidX
12-16-04, 05:17 PM
Yep. At first I didnt have it but after Valves first patched it increased for some reason and is much more noticeable on my Nv system. Don't know how they missed it during testing. Very noticeable but was still playable and didnt ruin the experience.

CaptNKILL
12-16-04, 05:21 PM
Yes. Had it since day 1, on both computers I tried it on (both similar specs). I still have it now as far as I know...

Riptide
12-16-04, 05:53 PM
Had it since day 1. Haven't played the game in about a week though so maybe it's gone now.

superklye
12-16-04, 06:15 PM
I had it and did those changes in the tweak thread and now, other than right after an autosave, I have no problems.

Vagrant Zero
12-16-04, 06:25 PM
Damn, it isn't even close. Didn't think it would be though.

And yes I had the problem up until the end.

-=DVS=-
12-16-04, 06:49 PM
I only had sound ocasionaly crack or tick , sometimes brief , i think the patch fixed those problems.

shinrai
12-16-04, 08:14 PM
Pity with all of Valves supposed skill, they still can't or won't fix the issue that many people with many different systems are experiencing, including me. If id did this, it would have destroyed their reputation. I hope it does the same to Valve.

I also hope bloodlines does not stutter since it's arriving in a few days.

superklye
12-16-04, 09:18 PM
Pity with all of Valves supposed skill, they still can't or won't fix the issue that many people with many different systems are experiencing, including me. If id did this, it would have destroyed their reputation. I hope it does the same to Valve.

I also hope bloodlines does not stutter since it's arriving in a few days.
I hope you aren't hoping too much...

Tym
12-17-04, 01:25 AM
Still have it... Although with all the workarounds (heapsize, console tweaks) it happens far less frequently, when it eventually does, that's big time: memory read error.

MOTÖRHEAD
12-17-04, 02:23 AM
I am getting stop and go freezing of video followed by stuttering audio sound with both HL-2 and CS:S. Has anyone else ecountered this before ? Is this like the stuttering problem that others have mentioned ? I have recently upgraded my system the specs are in my sig. Everything except my video card, sound card, hard drive, cdroms, was upgraded.

I previously was running a ASUS A7N8X-E board and a 3200XP AMD CPU and did not have this problem before my upgrade. Then again I didn't have this problem with CS:S with this board untill today and I noticed it first in HL-2 and then it appeared in CS:S after I download today's update.

Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 4
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+, ~2.2GHz
MotherBoard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Video Card: PNY NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB GDDR3 RAM
Sound Card: SB Audigy Platinum
Cdrom Model: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352B
Cdrom Model: LITE-ON LTR-52246S
HardDrive Model: Maxtor 160GB Diamondmax Plus - 6Y160P0

superklye
12-17-04, 02:47 AM
The problem only occured for me in HL2...I've never had a problem with CS:S. That really sucks man. I don't know what to tell you, either. :( Sorry.

PikachuMan
12-17-04, 11:43 AM
I only get sound stuttering when I load something from the menu (eg Saving, changing resolution) and when the game goes into the "Loading" screen.

The gameplay itself is smooth, but wish it wouldn't be so noisy when loading.

TacT
12-17-04, 12:29 PM
Did get it quite often at first -- particularly on autosaves and then there were random spots in the game it would just freeze with sound looping then carry on as if nothing had happened after 10-15secs, very irritating. Same in cs:s - running around, everything is smooth as butter then everything stops -- 10-15secs later it picks up again as if nothing happened and I'm most likely dead as a result (even more irritating).

Since the patch(es) it's been better and the only stutter I get is during the autosaves on hl2 so far. I feel like I just purchased some swiss cheese but it had too many holes for my liking. (snowman)

Cruel_Logic
12-17-04, 12:32 PM
still get some stuttering on my 6800 ultra, x800xt is running fine with new drivers. i even overclocked to 470/1.3 on my ultra (water cooling) to see if it helped. not at all.

superklye
12-17-04, 12:40 PM
still get some stuttering on my 6800 ultra, x800xt is running fine with new drivers. i even overclocked to 470/1.3 on my ultra (water cooling) to see if it helped. not at all.
i don't think there has ever been a time when OCing helped stability...

wickfut
12-17-04, 01:42 PM
yeah i used to get bad stutters - sometimes crashing my system , i get smaller stutters but more frequent now

i stopped playing the game after i completed it (2 long sessions on normal) so dont bother with it , some nice new maps on multiplayer tho which are fun

|MaguS|
12-17-04, 01:57 PM
Only had stutter/pause when the autosave kicked in but once I turned the preloading on the game became nice and smooth.

Vash
12-17-04, 04:11 PM
Yep, stuttering. Not really as bad as some that I've heard, but it does get choppy for no obvious reason, even when there aren't any enemies on the screen. It's still playable and I enjoy it quite a bit, but it gets on my nerves. I've done the config file editing, and I've set the autosave files to read only, which has helped.

AngelGraves13
12-18-04, 01:42 AM
Had it like a bad case of the flu. But its gone from my system now and all is well in City17.

WeReWoLf
12-19-04, 04:47 PM
I made this thread to show people like Ninjaman that the problem IS more widespread than he thinks. Even in this forum alone 3/4 of us have experienced the stuttering in some way, shape or form. Some of us have fixed it, some of us are still affected by it. Of all the people that bought the game approx. 29% of us haven't had the stuttering at all. However 71% of us have and that obviously set Valve on a mission to stop the stuttering. (information was sent to me from an admin @ www.steampowered.com)

Vagrant Zero
12-19-04, 05:43 PM
I made this thread to show people like Ninjaman that the problem IS more widespread than he thinks.

People like that inhabit their own little worlds far removed from reality. You shouldn't waste your time with them.

GamerGuyX
12-19-04, 06:53 PM
People like that inhabit their own little worlds far removed from reality. You shouldn't waste your time with them.

Here we go again... :o

WeReWoLf
12-20-04, 03:10 PM
Vagrant Zero, If i had wanted a comment like that i would have asked. please refrain from anything more like that.