PDA

View Full Version : Why is a 3.2 Northwood more $ than a 3.2 Prescott?

Turbo
12-17-04, 09:44 AM
It's only logical that since the Presscott was released after the Northwood with a larger L2 cache (1mb vs. the Northwoods 512k) and is representative of the current line of P4s, that it should be a more advanced and thus a more expensive processor...right? If this is the case why does a 3.2 Northwood cost more than a 3.2 Prescott?

Is it b/c Intel recognizes the overclocking capabilities of the Northwood out shine the capablities of a Prescott? Since the Prescott's run so much hotter than Northwoods, its more difficult to get a respectable overclock without extensive water cooling. Seems ****ty to me that intel would jack up the price of older processors b/c users can overclock the pants off of 'em. Of course this is just speculation...i have no empiracle evidence what-so-ever.

I saw a guy on overclock.net that got his 3.2 Northwood up to 4.2 stable...but runs it @ 4.0 to keep temps down. I haven't seen a Prescott yet that can do that.

Cruel_Logic
12-17-04, 10:32 AM
It's only logical that since the Presscott was released after the Northwood with a larger L2 cache (1mb vs. the Northwoods 512k) and is representative of the current line of P4s, that it should be a more advanced and thus a more expensive processor...right? If this is the case why does a 3.2 Northwood cost more than a 3.2 Prescott?

Is it b/c Intel recognizes the overclocking capabilities of the Northwood out shine the capablities of a Prescott? Since the Prescott's run so much hotter than Northwoods, its more difficult to get a respectable overclock without extensive water cooling. Seems ****ty to me that intel would jack up the price of older processors b/c users can overclock the pants off of 'em. Of course this is just speculation...i have no empiracle evidence what-so-ever.

I saw a guy on overclock.net that got his 3.2 Northwood up to 4.2 stable...but runs it @ 4.0 to keep temps down. I haven't seen a Prescott yet that can do that.

i can already hit 4.2. and when I get my new mb the multiplier will be unlocked, o/c on prescotts is good.

also at higher speeds the performance gap between the two get greater:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040517/northwood_prescott-08.html

and finally, prescotts are easier to produce. they are on a 90nm process which means that lower yields will still get you decent speeds.

Turbo
12-17-04, 11:44 AM
Cruel_Logic...are you on air cooling? I'm not quite ready to step up to water cooling. I'm running my 2.6 @ 3.4 now with no problems and decent temps 39c idle/52 full load. I want more though (xmasgrin) so I'll be shopping CPUs in a month or so and am trying to decide between another Northwood @ 3.2 or a Prescott 3.2.

dsessom
12-17-04, 11:54 AM
Why is a 3.2 Northwood more $ than a 3.2 Prescott?

Because the Northwood is no longer in production (or only limited production), so there are a finite number of them which makes the price go up. The Prescott / LGA775 CPUs are in full swing, and are plentiful, so the price is lower.

Danhill
12-17-04, 01:08 PM
I recently bought a Prescott 3,2 and I run it at 3,6 with no problem what so ever, the idle temps is 51-53 and the load are 60-64 on stock cooling. Remeber that I have a Abit IC7-G mainboard that actually shows the temps about 5-8 C higher than it really is.

CDsDontBurn
12-17-04, 01:21 PM
My 3.2E runs around 52-55C idle and 62-65C load @ stock speeds.....overclocked @ 3.9Ghz, it doesn't run much warmer at all.

Cruel_Logic
12-17-04, 01:28 PM
yeah, i have water cooling :D
but i had it going at 3.8 with air, mind you it was this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-044&depa=1

but i never got temps above 60C.

CDsDontBurn
12-17-04, 06:07 PM
my 3.2E @ 3.9Ghz i'm running on this little thing

http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A1950911

Soylent
12-18-04, 08:15 PM
also at higher speeds the performance gap between the two get greater:

The percentual performance difference looks just about constant, which is pretty much what you would expect for one particular benchmarks if performance of both processors scaled linearly with clock speed. It's not allways better in all games as the prescott has a longer pipeline and suffers more when it makes a branch prediction error than the northwood core does, in most games the prescott still seems to beat the northwood.

bkswaney
12-18-04, 10:02 PM
My 2.8E runs 3.5 sweet! :D

I'm getting a 3.2 and taking that
bad boy to 4Ghz soon. ;)