PDA

View Full Version : White Lines in HL2

Pages : [1] 2

Mulepods
12-17-04, 10:47 PM
I searched and found some random posts about this issue, but no real answer.

So I thought I would ask...has anyone found a driver version that doesn't cause the "white lines" when enabling AA? I'm using the 67.03 drivers currently.

K007
12-18-04, 12:07 AM
71.20 dosen't do that for me
the 65.xx is also clean, so far the 65.xx is the only driver that i have seen to work well with games.

Vagrant Zero
12-18-04, 12:42 AM
65.73 has no white lines.

Mulepods
12-18-04, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I'd like to have this confirmed before I go uninstall drivers. So you're saying this is a problem only with newer drivers?

superklye
12-18-04, 12:59 AM
65.73 has no white lines.
:(

I've never seen the white lines (I don't think I have) and anyway, 65.73 caused MASSIVE BSODs for me.

Good luck to everyone else who attempts to use them.

anzak
12-18-04, 02:05 AM
Its an engine problem. There are a few spots in the game where its noticeable on both ATI and nVidia cards, although it seems to be a little worse on nvidia.

Vagrant Zero
12-18-04, 02:07 AM
are you sure? i'm going to try this...

do you have a screenshot using 65.73 in hl2(tunnels)?

Actually no. I never tested out HL2. I just played through the game with the white lines [didn't annoy me too much]. But after that I restarted playing D3 and oh my fing God was it annoying in that game [dark doesn't mix well with white lines apparently]. I was using the 67.20s at the time, so I switched back to the 65.73s [I remembered that there were no white lines the first time I beat D3 back in early August]. They got rid of the white lines in D3 and Bloodlines. Since bloodlines is Source, I assume they got rid of them in HL2 as well but I haven't given it a shot yet.

Anyways, my system just got hosed so I did a reformat/reinstall. Currently using the 71.20s. Maybe I'll give HL2 a shot now, see if I notice the lines.

$n][pErMan
12-18-04, 03:18 AM
Its an engine problem. There are a few spots in the game where its noticeable on both ATI and nVidia cards, although it seems to be a little worse on nvidia.

I never had any white lines with the 61.77's. I get a few with the 67.02's. Not a big deal though as its only in small parts of the game.

K007
12-18-04, 05:24 AM
I loved the entire 65.xx, everything worked fine.

I did use a few 66.xx to check them out, all of them were useless, white lines, they do go away if u alt tab, but if its a problem its a problem, force refreshrate is broken, some of them had problems with AA.

The 71.20 for me is good, the lines are there, but very low maybe .5%, not like the old ones.

65.73 owns, not in 3dmark :P

Rakeesh
12-18-04, 09:53 AM
I've had something else happen before:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=9301&stc=1

The textures are selectively dark (notice the stairway and walls are pitch black and the bannister is well lit) and it looks like doom 3 all over again. Speak of doom 3 though, doom 3 doesn't seem to have any problems.

Not sure if it is related to HL2 or just my video card. This is with the 71.20 drivers, but I never played this level before that one time so it could be just an HL2 bug.

Mulepods
12-18-04, 10:47 AM
Wow. That's ugly.

Anyway - I would try out the older drivers, but my guess is I would be trading FPS for no white lines.

Burnt_Ram
12-18-04, 10:55 AM
i have 2 6800 series cards running 67.02, and neither have those white lines ?

rewt
12-18-04, 10:56 AM
The only way to get rid of the lines is to turn off Anti Aliasing. I've tested drivers as old as 53.04 and they still had the white lines issue, but only with AA enabled.

saturnotaku
12-18-04, 11:51 AM
I've found that forcing AA in the control panel and turning it off in-game seems to reduce the white lines quite a bit. I only notice it in very select spots now, and there's maybe only one line instead of several.

Burnt_Ram
12-18-04, 12:18 PM
I've found that forcing AA in the control panel and turning it off in-game seems to reduce the white lines quite a bit. I only notice it in very select spots now, and there's maybe only one line instead of several.
hmm, i have it set off (app controlled) in control panel, and on in the game. 4x AA 8x AF ... weird how it happens on some machines with 6800's and not others !

rewt
12-18-04, 03:38 PM
The best test for the white lines is dm_lockdown at 640 x 480 and 4x AA (the lower resolution makes for a good test because the lines can't be missed. They are very thick at low resolutions). The floor in the restroom area is filled with thick white lines. Every driver I have tested from 53.04 and above has the white lines issue. So it makes me think it is a game problem and not really a driver issue after all.

Mulepods
12-18-04, 04:52 PM
It's a shame, because HL2 definitely cries for AA to be enabled.

Merefield
12-20-04, 07:07 PM
Its due to the current tech of cards. They are full of optimisations to optimise performance, but these have a detremental effect on IQ. It seems its not possible to switch off all the optimisations as the fundamental metal of the GPU cuts a few IQ corners for the sake of performance.

Here's what I see as the definitive statement from the man himself concerning these AA induced artifacts:

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3071

rewt
12-20-04, 07:17 PM
The man blames it on hardware? How lame. It is not the hardware's fault at all...

Burnt_Ram
12-20-04, 10:27 PM
well, i sure hope they fix it, and soon ! i meen really. i didnt spend a small fortune to turn AA off

Vagrant Zero
12-21-04, 02:45 AM
The man blames it on hardware? How lame. It is not the hardware's fault at all...

And that's why he is no Carmack. He's just a hack.

Ya, had to throw that in there cuz it rhymed. (xmasgrin)

Merefield
12-29-04, 07:01 AM
As a matter of interest, I installed CS: Source on my dad's machine over the holidays (You gotta love the fact that your Steam account is fully portable between machines!!). He's got my old ATI 9700 I replaced with my GT. It was very interesting to note that on 2x AA (don't laugh, she's getting old now) I saw the very same white lines in the snow (snowcool) on cs_office (just as you exit the garage near the "front" door, look at the snow peaks on the left in the distance). So it seems, you got the same artifact in the last gen of cards, its not (as I feared) due to an optimising "cheat" in the 6800 series.

john19055
12-29-04, 07:22 AM
I have notice white lines that look like electric interference like a tv does when a blender or mixer is running .But I have notice this too when playing NFSUG2,I have recently switch to 71.20 drivers I don't remember them when I was useing the 67.02 drivers.

mig29se
01-09-05, 07:47 PM
I have white lines in HL2 and CSS with all drivers except 61.76 that i am using now. But this is not the main problem- most of the drivers after 61.76 give me artefacts like these(on the lowest and the highest settings)... This is really anoying as new drivers fix the sudden drops in fps in some parts of the maps.
http://img74.exs.cx/img74/5685/dedust00003qo.th.jpg (http://img74.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img74&image=dedust00003qo.jpg)
http://img74.exs.cx/img74/4476/dedust00073es.th.jpg (http://img74.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img74&image=dedust00073es.jpg)

Any driver suggestions?

AngelGraves13
01-09-05, 11:45 PM
SO THAT'S WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE! YIKES!

I've never seen them before. Maybe you guys are overclocking your cards? Check my specs... I've got a 6800 Ultra and have NEVER seen them. Maybe when the cards are overclocked they cause interferance or something of that sort. If you are not overclocking your cards, then it might be a defective card. Mine's is an ASUS 6800 Ultra just in case you're wondering.