PDA

View Full Version : FSAA won't work, and cuts FPS in half

FearMeAll
12-18-04, 10:41 AM
well..I've got quite a pickle here..
I was running the standard 67.02 drivers and things were great. Then I tried the extreme G 67.03 drivers since everyone was raving about them. I uninstalled the old drivers, installed the extremeG version and now 4x FSAA works only some of the time. It will work in games like Mafia, but in other games such as UT2004 and World of Warcraft, FSAA will not work and the framerate will literally be cut in half. It kind of reminded me of the refreshrate bug which also cuts FPS in if the refresh rate is forced through the control panel. Once in a while Fsaa will work and the framerate will be fine.
Well anyway I uninstalled the extremeG drivers and ran drivercleaner in safemode then installed the new 71.20 drivers(not extremeG). They have the same issue now. When FSAA is forced in the control panel it will not work and halves the FPS.
So I uninstalled those drivers and once again ran drivercleaner in safemode. Then I reinstalled the standard 67.02 drivers I had before and never had issues with. Well now, even those drivers are behaving the exact same way. In fact all the new drivers I've installed after using extremeG are behaving this way.
So I've come to the conclusion that perhaps there is some sort of "tweak" enabled in the extremeG drivers that I can't make go away even after other drivers are installed after it.
Any ideas how to fix this..It's EXTREMELY annoying.
(oh, it seems that ONLY 4x FSAA is affected by this problem. 2x, quincunx, and 8xs work without a hitch. very odd.)

Zelda_fan
12-18-04, 12:24 PM
there is probably some sort of ExtremeG registry setting that never got "cleaned" out. This is why I install nVidia-only drivers. I'm sure a reformat would fix it, but that's like useing a bazooka to kill an ant.

FearMeAll
12-18-04, 02:25 PM
there is probably some sort of ExtremeG registry setting that never got "cleaned" out. This is why I install nVidia-only drivers. I'm sure a reformat would fix it, but that's like useing a bazooka to kill an ant.
oh man..that really really screws me over..
if you look at my sig u can see I have a lot of hdd space and most of it is full...I'd have to reinstall all my programs all over again...ack..

rewt
12-18-04, 02:47 PM
620gigs? How many HDD? Formatting and reinstalling Windows shouldn't be much of an issue if you have Windows on its own separate partition. Especially with that CPU it won't take but like 10-20 minutes with a quick format.

JRd1st
12-18-04, 05:05 PM
There aren't any Registry entries that don't get cleaned out. All you have to do is to look in the nv4_disp.inf and you can see all the XG entries that aren't standard. When I run DC3.3 they all get cleared out.

The only one that possibly stays after an uninstall and DC3.3 cleanup is

HKLM, "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer \AlwaysUnloadDLL", (Default), %REG_SZ%,1

You can easily check that yourself and set it to 0 if it will make you feel better.

The 71.20 drivers are full of problems so don't bother with them.

The 67.22's are pretty good.

Maybe you should delete the config file for the games that don't work properly and see if letting the games reconfig themselves will fix things.

FearMeAll
12-18-04, 06:41 PM
ok for some odd reason the problem quit..dunno how..but it feels like it could happen again at any time..it was really strange. Hope it doesn't happen again.