PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal to get massive framerate dips when something dies?

Edge
12-18-04, 05:55 PM
Well, I've been replaying though this game (really quite good for a generic shooter), but one things that's really been bugging me is the massive drops in framerate I get at times. Mostly it seems to happen when I kill something and it disintigrates. For example I can walk up to a dead Marine body and be getting 40FPS, then I hit it a few times with my fists and my framerate drops to 20 until it finishes disintigrating, after which the framerate will go back up to 40. The same thing happened on my first playthrough but I assumed it was because of my aging TI4200 card, but now I'm noticing the same problem with my 6800 so it's probably not a GPU issue. Is there a setting or something that might help me? It's almost like the ragdolls are what's causing the performance drop, either that or something about the disintigration thing. It's really getting nearly unplayable at times when I get less than 8 FPS in the middle of a firefight after I kill a demon. Oh, and here are my specs:

XP2000
768mb PC2100 RAM
6800nu (OCed to 400/780)

Vagrant Zero
12-18-04, 06:06 PM
I haven't noticed this no [and I've played the game with Fraps running], but I have a GT so...

jolle
12-18-04, 07:14 PM
Hmm..havent noticed anything like that, on a A64 3400+.
I think the "ragdoll" kicks in when something dies, then it disintegrates pretty fast (unless you use the mod that stops that).
And most of the corpses lying around is hooked up to the physics engine aswell.
And physics runs on the CPU.

Might be the added load on the CPU that does it, dunno.
maybe there is some radius on when the Ragdoll kicks in, and how much CPU is spent on it, how detailed the calculations will be, depending on range..

Vagrant Zero
12-19-04, 02:42 AM
That might explain it, I've got a A64 3200 ClawHammer myself.

BioHazZarD
12-20-04, 02:21 AM
Thats odd, i only get fps drop when a dorr is about to open.

jolle
12-20-04, 04:13 AM
Thats odd, i only get fps drop when a dorr is about to open.

FPS drop, or just a stutter/short freeze?
cause that may be new textures loading up to the cards RAM.

BioHazZarD
12-23-04, 11:53 AM
fps drop but since it lasts only like 1-2 seconds it is really both although it lasts that short i dont care really.

Ninjaman09
12-23-04, 12:02 PM
Edge: Turn off Vertical Sync. That's what's causing the framerate drops. Vertical Sync in Doom 3 halves the framerate to sync up with the refresh rate sometimes, especially in areas with a lot of particle effects or shaders.

WeReWoLf
12-23-04, 04:19 PM
XP2000
768mb PC2100 RAM
6800nu (OCed to 400/780)

CPU limited -> Pre-requisite for 6800 good performance is about 3200+
RAM Bottleneck -> DDR 400 would be a huge performance increase.

You will notice a big change in speed and smoothness if you upgrade those components.

Edge
12-23-04, 06:09 PM
Hmm, I always keep my vsync off, so it's not that. Seems like it's worse the close I am to the object, which is a bit strange because you'd think that if I'm CPU limited it wouldn't matter how close it is.

And yeah, I'll probably upgrade my computer sometime in the (near?) future, so I'm sure Doom 3 will run perfectly then, I was just wondering if there was any tweak I could use that would help my on my CURRENT playthrough of the game ;)

WeReWoLf
12-23-04, 06:53 PM
lower your settings.

Edge
12-23-04, 07:04 PM
Erm, there aren't really any "settings" to lower that make a difference, since things like resolution and texture detail are almost entirely GPU-based. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be anything to change that would actually take a load off the CPU. I'm getting the same framerate at 640x480 low detail as I am at 1280x1024 high detail.

WeReWoLf
12-23-04, 07:24 PM
No no no... i didn't mean like that. You get a huge frame performance if you turn off bump mapping, etc... find some settings that don't really take away from the visual of it and turn it off. You usually get some sort of frame performance out of it.

Edge
12-24-04, 01:49 AM
Actually almost none of those settings have any effect either. All the surface effects are still handled by the GPU, so when I disabled them I got a whopping 5% boost to my FPS. The only setting that DID make a difference was disabling shadows, but in addition to looking much worse it still didn't smooth out the framerate much (I maybe got a 20% boost from disabling shadows, definatly not worth it for the visual tradeoff). And surprisingly my framerate in some areas was exactly the same as it was with my ti4200 card, the Guardian fight and last boss were still pretty choppy no matter what settings I used (though disabling shadows made them a *little* more bearable). Oh well, doesn't make a difference to me anymore since I just beat the game anyway ;)

BioHazZarD
12-24-04, 03:30 AM
THen it must be your ram, i did not see it was pc2100 that is really slow for a game like doom.