PDA

View Full Version : Patching Bloodlines ....???

PaiN
12-19-04, 07:00 AM
I've been patiently waiting for a Vampire: Bloodlines patch....so I could get on with playing this game I bought for $50 :mad: There is no patch in site, atm...
Should I install the "unofficial" patch and mods(made by fans here (http://www.vampireheaven.com/) ) or continue to wait....?
I'm sure the unofficial's are good, this patch repairs the broken quests but will likely make it impossible to install an offical patch if & when it comes out, which, (I hope) will fix the game engine and performance.

aAv7
12-19-04, 07:13 AM
I say just install the unofficial. When an official does come out-if it wont patch over the mod, just re-install the game but keep your game saves so you don't lose your place. (xmasgrin)

PaiN
12-19-04, 07:28 AM
Ok, deal.....I'll be busy over the next week with X-mas & all (xmasmile) . If there's no official patch by then....I'll run on the unofficals.

Vagrant Zero
12-19-04, 04:10 PM
This is just plain pathetic. Unofficial patchs...my God the fans are doing the work for the devs now. What next...we'll make games for them and they'll get all the profit? I don't believe I'll ever 'buy' another game from Troika again.

GamerGuyX
12-19-04, 05:09 PM
This is just plain pathetic. Unofficial patchs...my God the fans are doing the work for the devs now. What next...we'll make games for them and they'll get all the profit? I don't believe I'll ever 'buy' another game from Troika again.

While I agree with you that it sucks having to use an unofficial patch, to me though it doesn't really matter. As long as I can play the game the way its suppose to then I am happy. Even if that means using an unofficial patch.

Edge
12-19-04, 06:48 PM

Actually Troika is trying to get a patch put togeather, but the publisher (Activision is it?) refuses to fund the development of any patches for the game. So it falls on Troika's shoulders to fund the patch, and apparently the process is going slowly. No word on whether an official patch will be released, but if it is it won't be from Activision.

Vagrant Zero
12-19-04, 07:25 PM
Actually Troika is trying to get a patch put togeather, but the publisher (Activision is it?) refuses to fund the development of any patches for the game. So it falls on Troika's shoulders to fund the patch, and apparently the process is going slowly. No word on whether an official patch will be released, but if it is it won't be from Activision.

If 2 kids with a weeks worth of free time can do it for free I think Troika, the people who you know...made the game, and have access to everything, can do it as well. It's their responsibility as the developers to make sure the game works, not the publishers. So they aren't getting funding, tough noogies, let a few of them sacrifice football friday and iron out bugs that should never have been part of a shipping final product.

msxyz
12-20-04, 04:51 AM
You should try Dan's Unofficial patch to fix the most common quest related problems.

Unfortunately, there's no workaround for memory leaks, long loading times and crap performance in certain areas on certain PCs. Not to mention that most of the animations should be completely redone because, honestly, they're pretty lame.

It seems that Activision cut down the budget on this game. As usual, those who will pay the consequences are the users who paid 50 $/E for some unpolished software who shouldn't have passed the QA stage.

Things like this only encourage the "try before you buy" mentality (or don't buy it at all) and leave legitimate custumers the sensation of being ripped off.

Congratulations, Activision!

superklye
12-20-04, 01:08 PM
This was the same way it was for The Temple of Elemental Evil. It had so much potential to be an awesome game but was riddled with bugs. Months went by and the only fixes were by fans. The circle of 12 or something like that, put out a great patch that fixed a lot of problems and added some new items and stuff like that, if I recall correctly.

I'm with you, I don't think I'm ever going to get another Troika game again either.

MOTÖRHEAD
12-20-04, 11:55 PM
This was the same way it was for The Temple of Elemental Evil. It had so much potential to be an awesome game but was riddled with bugs. Months went by and the only fixes were by fans. The circle of 12 or something like that, put out a great patch that fixed a lot of problems and added some new items and stuff like that, if I recall correctly.

I'm with you, I don't think I'm ever going to get another Troika game again either.

It didn't just have bugs but portions of the game were ripped out at the last second because the publisher told them to do it. I don't blame the dev's because they have to do things according to what the publisher wants or else they can't sell their game. The blame for the lack of quality and a rushed beta buggy game 99.9% of the time lays on the heads of publishers who want their money ASAP.

Mr. Hunt
12-21-04, 12:04 AM

You mean like Valve did with Counter-Strike?

Melhisedek
12-21-04, 01:16 PM
It's not Troikas fault mates!

Activision has all the rights and decides when and what to patch. Same with KOTOR and Lucas Arts and Bioware.
It had a few nasty bugs on 9600 ATi cards IIRC and Bioware had a fix for it but sadly Lucas Arts didn't approve it for a long time. So Troika may already have the fix but Activision just don't want to release it or something. Just don't blame it on Troika, those guys rock!
ToEE was rushed because of developer. Same thing about the patch...

Parts
12-21-04, 02:29 PM
Yeah screw activision... if Troika has a patch they should let it "leak" out to the internet community just to piss off activision if they wont approve it heh.

That game rules though, I ended up needing to use the weird console command to get past the professor part though.

Vagrant Zero
12-21-04, 04:23 PM
You mean like Valve did with Counter-Strike?

Preaching to the choir. Let's just say I'm not Valve's biggest supporter. (xmasgrin)

PaiN
12-21-04, 10:49 PM
And the wait is over (xmasgrin) ...patch v1.2

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/148792.shtml?r=5

pjstp20
12-22-04, 12:20 AM
Is that an official patch? If so, what happened to v1.1?

MOTÖRHEAD
12-22-04, 12:35 AM
And the wait is over (xmasgrin) ...patch v1.2

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/148792.shtml?r=5

YES !!!!!!!!

MOTÖRHEAD
12-22-04, 12:36 AM
Is that an official patch? If so, what happened to v1.1?

Yes it's an official patch from Troika the other one was done by someone in the community and it was a un-official patch.

msxyz
12-22-04, 04:10 AM
They still haven't fixed the performance issues and memory leak. Animations still look lame. It took them one month only to fix the crash on the main quest a few minor bugs ?

PaiN
12-22-04, 06:23 AM
They still haven't fixed the performance issues and memory leak. Animations still look lame. It took them one month only to fix the crash on the main quest a few minor bugs ?

Ok "Mr. Glass Half Empty" .....;) point is, at least they are patching (xmasgrin)

K007
12-22-04, 07:20 AM
First and last of there patch's i am still waiting for them to fully fix the game before i start playing it..i dont want the crashes and god dam utter 5 fps drops and people getting stuck in doors to ruin my expereince. Its a fun game, loved fallout, this has the same feeling so i am gonna let time fix it.

msxyz
12-22-04, 08:08 AM
Ok "Mr. Glass Half Empty" .....;) point is, at least they are patching (xmasgrin)Ehehe... well, consider this: if you were already using Dan's patch you won't notice the difference at all. It took them one month to do what a single individual, with little insight on the program itself could do in a few days of spare time.

What makes me really angry is that Bloodlines is -indeed- a great videogame, very addicting despite the problems, but completely ruined by bad coding, superficial testing and rushed development.

Edge
12-22-04, 11:20 AM
Ehehe... well, consider this: if you were already using Dan's patch you won't notice the difference at all. It took them one month to do what a single individual, with little insight on the program itself could do in a few days of spare time.

Did the user-made patch fix the Protean lvl5 transformation bug? That was the main bug I noticed in the game, aside from the leopold crash. To be honest, I think most of the game's bugs are exadurated a bit, and now that the official patch is out they're even less of an issue (though cutscenes still look sloppy, but that's not really a bug).

rellingsen
12-22-04, 11:40 AM
I actually think the game was released in pretty good shape. There were only a couple of problems I came across in the whole game. It actually ran very well out of the box at 1600X1200 4XAA/8XAF. It did hog a whole lot of memory but the only other problem I came across was getting stuck in a couple doors. I actually even got pinned between a oven door and a counter. (snowlol) I am finished and just put my screens up. WARNING:Spoilers! Resized from 1600X1200
http://pages.prodigy.net/ellingsen1/VM:Blood/

Mike89
12-22-04, 12:18 PM
The official patch is not the same as the unofficial one. The unofficial one is not even 1 meg. The official one is 15 megs.

I installed the official one but haven't played the game with it yet. I will do so and hope some things are fixed. I was having some problems with the game crashing to desktop when certaiin dialog options were hit.

When talking to the girl in the Last Round after killing all the plague bearers, there was the option to tell her they were all dead. When I hit that "1" key, bam kick to desktop.

Another was trying to talk to the Nosferatu right before meeting Gary. The dude is hacking a computer and when I try to talk to him, as soon as I hit the dialog option key, again back to desktop. One other was the room next to the one I was just talking about. There is a female Nosferatu staring at a picture of Twani. As soon as I try to talk to her and hit the dialog key, back to desktop again.

Very dam irrating as there are some quests there I can't even get to. I love this game otherwise. There are enough things and options to do that this game will keep one busy for a long time. Each time I play this game, I find quests that I missed the previous time.

I hope this patch fixes my issues.