PDA

View Full Version : The wonders of the modding community!

Intel17
12-19-04, 08:24 PM
Thanks to a talented guy named Xio on the planet Doom forums, we now can have super ultra quality skins for the characters...example..

http://dynamici.server239.com/uploads/betruger.jpg

http://dynamici.server239.com/uploads/guy1.jpg

Now, that betruger is the best in game human i've ever seen!

Mr. Hunt
12-19-04, 08:38 PM
Yup... I have loved the modding community for a while now... a good modding community is the best thing a game can have these days.

LiquidX
12-19-04, 08:39 PM
Link?

GamerGuyX
12-19-04, 09:24 PM
That is awesome! :D

DivisioN
12-19-04, 09:39 PM
Link?

http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Xios_Skin_Pack;31191#Download

Vagrant Zero
12-19-04, 10:54 PM
What's wrong with that guys nose. Someone took a sledge hammer to it heh.

superklye
12-19-04, 10:55 PM
I swear...this mod came out a while ago, didn't it? I am almost positive I downloaded this like maybe a week after the game came out.

Godspell
12-19-04, 10:56 PM
hmm using the shotgun or anything really kills my fps :(

nutcrackr
12-19-04, 11:38 PM
For the love of god somebody fix up their clothing, now it looks even worse than before matched with that skin!

superklye
12-20-04, 12:08 AM
Is it just me or does the marine look like Toby Keith meets Robert Deniro?

Rakeesh
12-20-04, 01:35 AM
Hmm...don't suppose anybody has any way of increasing the polygon count of the NPC models?

When you run the game in a very high resolution, the low poly count is extremely noticeable.

jolle
12-20-04, 02:34 AM
IŽd rather se a remodelling smoothing out the rough contour on the heads of human characters, would make alot of difference I would think as their faces looks fine.
Dont quite understand why the good people at id didnt spend a few extra polys in that area which usually only shows during cutscenes and not in the actionfilled gorefests..

Subtestube
12-20-04, 05:38 AM
I'll tell you why they didn't spend a few extra polys.. well, as far as cutscenes go, I'm not sure, but in general it's because shadow volumes have complexity directly proportional to polygon complexity. With, even 2 or 3 light sources, increasing polygon density can have a horrific effect on the quantity of geometry actually rasterised. Hmm. That's pretty well it. At least, that's my understanding.

(Edit: I've actually implemented S-Vols before and can explain it in more detail, but I can't be bothered.)

|MaguS|
12-20-04, 07:30 AM
I must be the only one who thinks these "High Res" Textures for the models looks like crap... I mean it looks like someone threw sand on thier face...

jolle
12-20-04, 11:35 AM
I'll tell you why they didn't spend a few extra polys.. well, as far as cutscenes go, I'm not sure, but in general it's because shadow volumes have complexity directly proportional to polygon complexity. With, even 2 or 3 light sources, increasing polygon density can have a horrific effect on the quantity of geometry actually rasterised. Hmm. That's pretty well it. At least, that's my understanding.

Well snatch a few from the backs and legs or something to even out the edges on the contour on the top of the head.
The fact that the faces looks so good with the bumpmapping & selfshadowing etc only makes those really edgy bald scalps stand out even more in contrast. (the original faces, the second screenshot in this thread looks like the man has ebola or something)
And the fact that it lowers performance isnt THAT vital on humies since you rarly se them other then i cutscenes or secluded areas with no action going on, the many marine carcasses scattered around the base can stay as they are as you dont really go upclose with them.
The monsters are fine IMO cause they are rarly seen standing still up close for closer inspection.

Vagrant Zero
12-20-04, 03:26 PM
Is it just me or does the marine look like Toby Keith meets Robert Deniro?

Now that you mention it ya...he does...with a pinch of badass mixed in their as well.

superklye
12-20-04, 03:51 PM
I must be the only one who thinks these "High Res" Textures for the models looks like crap... I mean it looks like someone threw sand on thier face...
I agree with you completely.

OWA
12-20-04, 03:58 PM
I really like the way the first guy looks but don't really like the change for the 2nd guy. First guy looks amazing though!

holmes
12-21-04, 01:26 AM
The first pic looks great, but I don't really like the second. I don't think the skins need work though. If someone could create new higher res textures placed over some of the lower res ones I think it would have a much higher impact..