PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings, Battle for Middle-earth any good?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Nv40
12-20-04, 12:17 AM
any feedback about that game.... ?

Do you to pay every month like everquest?

can you play singleplayer and multiplayer on lan ,without internet conection?

BioHazZarD
12-20-04, 02:21 AM
NO you odnt pay anything. Its both SP and MP i have only played SP on the evil side so far its quite fun, its basicily you build a base and attack just like any other game.

There can be lots of enemies at the screen and running 1280*960 can seem to lag sometimes quite much when the whole screen is flooded with enemies but its fun.

Nv40
12-20-04, 02:25 AM
NO you odnt pay anything. Its both SP and MP i have only played SP on the evil side so far its quite fun, its basicily you build a base and attack just like any other game.

There can be lots of enemies at the screen and running 1280*960 can seem to lag sometimes quite much when the whole screen is flooded with enemies but its fun.

ok thanks.. im very tempted to buy it.. and give some rest to FPS games :D

superklye
12-20-04, 02:36 AM
Yeah...it's an RTS, not an MMORPG

Shamrock
12-20-04, 03:14 AM
Middle Earth Online is your MMORPG, not Battle For Middle Earth

and Middle Earth Online isnt out yet, so....

Gaco
12-20-04, 08:29 AM
I think it's great, I'd give it 8,5/10. It lacks a little of gameplay/stradegy depth (Warcraft 3 is still the king here), but it has got everything else. The graphics, sound and music is remarkable. The heroes cool, though more different units wouldn't had hurt. The developer was just restricted by the units in the movie I think. But anyway, it was definently worth my money, the replay value is great and the campaigns are pretty long. I haven't had a chance to try out the multiplayer yet, I'm still in progress with the Evil campaign.

I bought Rome: Total War. And when TBFME can keep me from RTW, it's gotta be great right?And hey, it's Lord of the Rings! :D
So go get it and have a merry christmas! (xmasmile)

Nv40
12-24-04, 04:17 AM
ok i need help..

i bought the game ... (xmasgrin)

It have very kick ass cinematics.. and the problem is this is my first
expereince with a non first person shoter game.. in short words im lost.. hehe

im reading the manuals.. but i have a question..

im wondering about the Screenshots posted everywhere about this game.. is they are really actual game shots,

http://images.ea.com/eagames/official/lotr_bfme/us/wallpaper/bfme_06_800x600.jpg

or look at the back of the box.. of the game.. there are screenshots of the game ,but im wondering is those are 3d animations of non actual gameplay ,just cinematics or if they are indeed real gameplay.

i just can't get close enough to the characters... while zoming with the keypad buttons.. i know is not a first person game..
but is there is any trick to get more close camera angles .. i will apreciatted it ..

another question is about the players fight.. it looks to me that they are fully automatic ,and i had cero control on the way for example the warrior fight with his sword . maybe is to much to ask for an RPG game.. hehe.. but just wondering if it is posible to fight manually ,and is there are others RPG games that can do it.

K007
12-24-04, 07:13 AM
Another game that was hyped much like doom3 and hl2, yet dosen't really live upto it. This game isen't that good, graphics are nice, but man..it just dosen't feel that good, really boring missions sometimes..

PaiN
12-24-04, 07:35 AM
I'm dying to play LotR: BfME but I've held off form getting it until after X-mas......got to have something to use my EB gift certs on (xmasgrin)

Nv40
12-24-04, 10:24 AM
Hey GAco..

1)Did you need to pay a subscription online for warcraft 3 similar to everquest games ?

2)how that game compares in graphics and gameplay with LordBmidleearth?

im also curious about my last post questions about the camera angle zooms ,sword fights and graphics.. any information apreciatted. (xmasmile)

aaahhh52
12-24-04, 02:17 PM
ok i need help..

i bought the game ... (xmasgrin)

It have very kick ass cinematics.. and the problem is this is my first
expereince with a non first person shoter game.. in short words im lost.. hehe

im reading the manuals.. but i have a question..

im wondering about the Screenshots posted everywhere about this game.. is they are really actual game shots,

http://images.ea.com/eagames/official/lotr_bfme/us/wallpaper/bfme_06_800x600.jpg

or look at the back of the box.. of the game.. there are screenshots of the game ,but im wondering is those are 3d animations of non actual gameplay ,just cinematics or if they are indeed real gameplay.

i just can't get close enough to the characters... while zoming with the keypad buttons.. i know is not a first person game..
but is there is any trick to get more close camera angles .. i will apreciatted it ..

another question is about the players fight.. it looks to me that they are fully automatic ,and i had cero control on the way for example the warrior fight with his sword . maybe is to much to ask for an RPG game.. hehe.. but just wondering if it is posible to fight manually ,and is there are others RPG games that can do it.
lol, welcome to the RTS genre, if u never played an rts before then your in for a shock from FPS's no you cannot manually fight, no you cannot zoom in anymore then what you can with scrolling on your mouse. Heres a few screens i took of some of the larger battles for people who dont have the game. http://photobucket.com/albums/v315/BFME/

aaahhh52
12-24-04, 02:18 PM
lol, welcome to the RTS genre, if u never played an rts before then your in for a shock from FPS's no you cannot manually fight, no you cannot zoom in anymore then what you can with scrolling on your mouse. Heres a few screens i took of some of the larger battles for people who dont have the game. http://photobucket.com/albums/v315/BFME/

*and no the graphics do not look like the box shots, no game ever looks like the box shots or the promo wallpaper.

*edit* whoops sorry for double post, though i edited my post up above (xmastong) *

Gaco
12-24-04, 03:13 PM
Hey GAco..

1)Did you need to pay a subscription online for warcraft 3 similar to everquest games ?

2)how that game compares in graphics and gameplay with LordBmidleearth?

im also curious about my last post questions about the camera angle zooms ,sword fights and graphics.. any information apreciatted. (xmasmile)

1) No, you only have to sign up a free EA account and make up a nickname.

2) "how that game compares in graphics and gameplay with LordBmidleearth?"

Eh? Oh well, I'm just going to talk about some different aspects of the game then...

First, I think the graphics are the best yet in an RTS game. The animations are very well done, both before, during and after battles. The texture detail, while not fantastic, is sufficient for an RTS game and fully lives up the other pretty strategy games out there. Water effects are ok, but the engine really shines with it's the fire effects (BALROG!!:D), at least for RTS game standards. The miscellaneous special effects are also really nice.

The sound is better than great; Howard Shores soundtrack, real actor voicecast and appropriate sound effects. 'Nuff said?

First impression is that gameplay is at pretty simple. Basebuilding is especially simplyfied and the number of units are pretty limited. I think the simple gameplay is both a strength and a weakness in the game. Actually, I was slightly disappointed by the gameplay in the start. It was fun and all, but it just didn't feel as it would last very long. It didn't appear to have enough depth to be fun in the long run. And granted, there are definently some tedious mission among both good and evil campaign (destroy all evil/good forces... *yawn*), but luckily there are some more inspired missions as well.
Anyway, I am now very happy with BFME. The good campaign was fun all in all, but the evil campaign suffered from some bugs I think, read this quote from Middle-Earth MW:

"I tried to play some of the Forces of Darkness campaign over the weekend, managed to get through a couple missions before I finally had enough and decided that Iíll wait for a patch to fix some of the problems before I continue on.
My main beef with the FOD campaign is that there seems to be so many bugs compared to when playing with the FOL. For example, you order a squad of Crossbowmen to take out some Peasants but instead they apparently think they are Swordsmen and run up to the enemy, shake their hands then shoot their crossbows. I couldnít believe how many times that was happening.
Or whenever I order two squads to the other side of the map, do they both take the same route? Do they both go the shortest way? Heck no, they split up and go in completely different directions and arrive at their destination minutes apart. Is this how it is supposed to be? I sure hope not. The game isnít bad, but I just hope a patch gets out soon so I can stop pulling my hair out."

I noticed some of these bugs too, so I stopped half-way through the FOE campaign and started on some skirmish. My god, this was sure as hell the good stuff! The game suddently seemed to possess that little extra depth for some reason, that makes an RTS long-lasting. I kinda gave up on the FOE campaign and I'm now practicing some skirmish to ready myself for multiplayer. I'm currently having a blast trying out different tactics with the different factions. Also, the units and heroes are nicely balanced, though the game needs a little balancing on a few units and heroes, but thats little small stuff. It's much better balanced out-of-the-box than their previous game Generals (gattling-cannons anyone?(xmastong)). The fact that ordinary units also gains higher ranks is just adding more interesting gameplay and the Powers are, as expected, fun!
Being a fan of Lorf of the Rings (as myself!) also helps for some extra excitement over the game.

One of my classmates has this game too, so I'm gearing up for some serious asskicking for him here in the chrismas holidays (xmasgrin)

So I hope I have given you some kind of idea about how I see the game and what I like about it. Now, back to the familiy (we are celebrating christmas in the evening over here you know ;))

DivotMaker
12-24-04, 03:21 PM
*and no the graphics do not look like the box shots, no game ever looks like the box shots or the promo wallpaper.

Excuse me if I strongly disagree. I know of at least one game that the in-game graphics are better than what is on the box....Tiger Woods 2005 for PC.

Nv40
12-24-04, 04:16 PM
Eh? Oh well, I'm just going to talk about some different aspects of the game then...

First, I think the graphics are the best yet in an RTS game. The animations are very well done, both before, during and after battles. The texture detail, while not fantastic, is sufficient for an RTS game and fully lives up the other pretty strategy games out there. Water effects are ok, but the engine really shines with it's the fire effects (BALROG!!:D), at least for RTS game standards.

Thanks for the informative post.. (xmasmile)

im asking for comparisons because you told that warcarft is your #1 RTS game.. hehe..

What will be really amazing is a game like Lord ofRIng_BME , but that you can play it as an RTS game or as a First person shotter/sword fighter FPS game too.. :drooling:

The Cinematics of lordofringBME are awesome.. the menu of the game.. gave me the same feeling i got the first time i saw UNreal1 intro.. (xmasgrin) .. so its looks to me that the game of the engine is indeed very powerful ,very advanced ,since the game cinematics (whethere they are or not actual gameplay) are realtime rendered ( they arent a mpg movie). So they are developers to not miss what will they do in the future..

a final question did you know of any very promising RTS , not yet released or know if anyone in the future you can play in first person view too..? o better a mix of RTS and FPS game? :)

thanks for the info... happy xmas..
and Happy gaming to all (xmasgrin)

aaahhh52
12-24-04, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the informative post.. (xmasmile)

im asking for comparisons because you told that warcarft is your #1 RTS game.. hehe..

What will be really amazing is a game like Lord ofRIng_BME , but that you can play it as an RTS game or as a First person shotter/sword fighter FPS game too.. :drooling:

The Cinematics of lordofringBME are awesome.. the menu of the game.. gave me the same feeling i got the first time i saw UNreal1 intro.. (xmasgrin) .. so its looks to me that the game of the engine is indeed very powerful ,very advanced ,since the game cinematics (whethere they are or not actual gameplay) are realtime rendered ( they arent a mpg movie). So they are developers to not miss what will they do in the future..

a final question did you know of any very promising RTS , not yet released or know if anyone in the future you can play in first person view too..? o better a mix of RTS and FPS game? :)

thanks for the info... happy xmas..
and Happy gaming to all (xmasgrin)
If you want an FPS set in the LOTR world then go pick up LOTR return of the king or LOTR the two towers, both great fps hack and slash games.

Vagrant Zero
12-24-04, 06:10 PM
They're TPSs...not FPSs. Still fun games though.

K007
12-25-04, 03:32 AM
Excuse me if I strongly disagree. I know of at least one game that the in-game graphics are better than what is on the box....Tiger Woods 2005 for PC.
Dont forget Guild Wars.

aaahhh52
12-25-04, 12:44 PM
They're TPSs...not FPSs. Still fun games though.
BLeh yeh your right lol, i usually just generalize any game thats not an rts or rpg as fps, but yes you are right, Then again i dont think FPS would suit the LOTR world

Nv40
12-25-04, 07:09 PM
just wanted to say,.. that im really excited about this game (xmasgrin)

im a quake die hard player , but this game is FUn too.. (xmasmile)
and the graphics whether its CInematics or actual gameplay are indeed pleasing to the eye. ANy fan of the LOrd he RIng movie should give a try to this game.. its really feels like the game was made by the movie creators .. to be also part of the experience because everything fits very well in the game.

what will be really awesome and jawbreaking is that some day gamedevelopers design a game like LRBFME where you can play on the fly from RTS to FPS at any time you desire. the best of both worlds . one allows you to control massive armies at the same time ,to conquer worlds. and the other allows you to control every single move from the character point of view.

ME.. have crossed fingers that Isoftware NExt game is something like what they wanted one time to do.. [QUEST] an adventure game where you play it as quake and as RPG game. :)

superklye
12-25-04, 07:13 PM
I just got this from my Aunt and Uncle...I can't wait to get back to my computer on campus so I can play. The only complaint I have is that they got me the CD version. Boo! I'm trying to decide if it's worth the hassle to go to Best Buy and exchange it for the DVD version or not.

Nv40
12-25-04, 07:25 PM
I just got this from my Aunt and Uncle...I can't wait to get back to my computer on campus so I can play. The only complaint I have is that they got me the CD version. Boo! I'm trying to decide if it's worth the hassle to go to Best Buy and exchange it for the DVD version or not.

i dont know ..what the diferences.. but i got the DVD version :) ,no way i will ever turn back to switch among 3-5 CD's..Not to mention that usually DVD's has extra stuff.. like behind the scenes or Music etc.. As a matter of fact bought 3 games.. all DVD versions :) MOH:PA ,LRBFME ,and PIRATES! from SID Meiers.. which this latest have been called by many magazines ,Game of the year..! (xmasgrin) , and havent had time even to install the game ,because LRBFME takes me all the free time i have to play.. :D still havent seen HL2 yet.... LOL!! which i have my doubts i will ever had time to play it..for a very long time .. hehe.. because im also looking for Brother in ARms ,STALKER and Quake4.. :D so many Kick ass games around this time .. isnt it? (xmasgrin)

stncttr908
12-25-04, 09:02 PM
I'm disappointed by this one. It seems like an extremely watered down RTS to appeal to a much larger audience. Even its flashy license can't make it any fun for me.

Vagrant Zero
12-25-04, 09:08 PM

If you've got a gift receipt and it's not opened it shouldn't be much of a hassle.

And like people have been saying it's an extremely watered down RTS.

That's why it's so much fun than any of them.

superklye
12-25-04, 09:51 PM
If you've got a gift receipt and it's not opened it shouldn't be much of a hassle.
Yeah, I've got the gift receipt and all that...it's just...I don't know if it's worth the hassle of actually going to Best Buy the day after Christmas to exchange it. I'll check the ad online tonight and if there is anything else I want to get and is worth going, I will.

And like people have been saying it's an extremely watered down RTS.
That's fine though. It looks like it'll be a good time and even if it isn't: I didn't have to pay for it. :)

I DO kinda wish there was a demo though, so if I really did hate it (I'm not too particular with my RTS's though) I could just get the money back and get a different game or something.

That's why it's so much fun than any of them.
Huh?