PDA

View Full Version : Brothers In Arms Vid: Holy Sh**

EatFresh
12-20-04, 02:59 PM
http://webpages.charter.net/quadforce/quad/BIA_Authenticity_v3.wmv

or http://www.brothersinarmshq.com/index.php?showfile=1&fid=18&p=downloads&area=1&categ=1

superklye
12-20-04, 03:49 PM
I second that "holy sh*t"

aAv7
12-20-04, 04:04 PM
I wasnt really impressed. I saw these promising looking videos for men of valor and medal of honor pacific assualt...they both sucked...., while I respect the efforts of gearbox, I think after this year, WWII-all war games have been done to death and are a fading fab.

EatFresh
12-20-04, 04:12 PM
I wasnt really impressed. I saw these promising looking videos for men of valor and medal of honor pacific assualt...they both sucked...., while I respect the efforts of gearbox, I think after this year, WWII-all war games have been done to death and are a fading fab.

I disagree. I think WWII games will always be popular. Many new gamers will never play a lot of the older WWII games that are out there now. I think there will always be a market for war games.

S.I.N
12-20-04, 04:20 PM
I cant wait and have been waiting for this for awhile. I have seen some other videos and it looks like it will be awesome for multiplayer. They say its the most detailed WWII game yet so that will be interesting. Bring it on. I am more into real world games than firing plasma and shock rifles. (cheers)

rudedog
12-20-04, 04:46 PM
I was looking forward to this but after hearing about the limited MP game play (no TD/TDM/CTF) I may have to think twice about this.

EatFresh
12-20-04, 04:55 PM
I was looking forward to this but after hearing about the limited MP game play (no TD/TDM/CTF) I may have to think twice about this.

That kinda took me by suprise when i first read it too. Then i read into what they were doing and i am glad they are doing what they are. Instead of throwing out the same ol gametypes they are trying to be innovative and bring something new to the table. Almost everyones biggest complaint these days in mp shooters is that no one will work as a team and use tactics, Brothers In Arms is kinda forcing you to. :) Oh, here is a msg from one of the game devs about MP, it gave me a lot of insight on the matter...

" think I understand why people want team DM or whatever in this game, though, too.

I mean, you can look at some screenshots and watch a video and realize that the graphics and immersion is just several notches above what you might already be playing.

So, if you're currently playing, say, CoD multiplayer and you like it, then you see the BiA stuff, it's totally natural to want to have the BiA stuff just replace the same game play you're already enjoying.

I can understand that.

But, we made a commitment to innovate. We made a commitment to spend our resources providing a sense of real squad combat using authentic fire and move tactics. We made a commitment not just to reward the player with the fastest reaction times or twitch skills, but to reward the player who can think and outwit an opponent as well.

I don't know how it's going to turn out. Perhaps the number of people who play BiA online won't match the number of people who are playing Halo 2 on-line right now. But, I bet the people who play BiA will be really, super hard-core and loyal. BiA is the only game like it - you can't get this experience with any other game available.

You can get deathmatch or team deathmatch in lots of places and I'm sure that other games will just keep churning out the same, old game play modes you've played over and over again.

If you want that, great.

Hopefully, if you're like us, you're hoping for something new."

Also, They did say they were going to release some modding tools for the game. I wouldn't be suprised to see someone make their own game modes...

(xmastree)

DEaD_IRiS
12-20-04, 05:06 PM
ultrarealism often equals ultraboredom, at least for me. but cheers to gearbox for at least trying some innovation in the FPS genre. I like the idea that you can "pin down" the enemy and they claim the AI won't charge at you. Also no health bar and no medkits could be interesting, but could also lead to slow and boring gameplay. And I hope the learning curve for the squad based play is much easier than Ghost Recon was.

I think I'll wait for more reviews. Seems most reviews out there are only for Xbox version.

superklye
12-20-04, 05:28 PM
ultrarealism often equals ultraboredom, at least for me. but cheers to gearbox for at least trying some innovation in the FPS genre. I like the idea that you can "pin down" the enemy and they claim the AI won't charge at you. Also no health bar and no medkits could be interesting, but could also lead to slow and boring gameplay. And I hope the learning curve for the squad based play is much easier than Ghost Recon was.
I read about how they are doing the health thing since there are, as you said, no medkits nor is there a health bar.

They have taken a pretty realstic approach to damage. If you get hit in the finger or the foot, you won't die from it. It'll injure and maybe make you move a bit slower or have worse aim, but it's not like you'll have one HP left, get shot in the finger and will die. For more serious injuries, like in the calf, thigh, stomach chest, the damage is more according to how it would be in real life as are the consequences.