PDA

View Full Version : Raising the Bar

Pages : [1] 2

superklye
12-21-04, 12:40 AM
I bought and just finished this book and I must say...it is fantastic. It offers such a great look into the game design process and, more importantly, fleshes out a LOT of details regarding the HL2 backstory. The cut scenes and scripts for them that are placed in the book for your perusal are fantastic and it really makes me sad to know that so much awesome stuff was cut.

There is a three page script for the original train enteracne to the game and my God...it would've been awesome! So many amazing enemies were changed and cut. Sigh. This game is, in my opinion, the best FPS ever, and had HALF of this stuff been left in, the game not only would've been longer, but it would've been even better.

I HIGHLY recommend people getting this book. It's a limited edition printing so act fast. It's totally worth the price of admission.

superklye
12-21-04, 01:30 AM
..does it mention about in-game stuttering in hl2...?
Yeah, there is a picture of the entire dev team pointing and laughing at the camera with the caption "Regarding the stuttering issue"

superklye
12-21-04, 01:52 AM
...so what was the cause of the stuttering? or they did not solve the problem?
I was kidding, as I thought you were as well. I guess we weren't on the same page... :rolleyes:

Vagrant Zero
12-21-04, 01:55 AM
I am now mildy entertained. I think once I'm through reading this history of the french book [bored does not being to describe what I am] I might pick it up. I did enjoy Masters of Doom.

superklye
12-21-04, 01:59 AM
I am now mildy entertained. I think once I'm through reading this history of the french book [bored does not being to describe what I am] I might pick it up. I did enjoy Masters of Doom.
I've heard Masters of Doom was really good. My roommate read and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it also scared him from the game scene. Said some pretty ridiculous things were done when working with id. I think he also mentioned that the books talks about Carmack's dev cycle, i.e. locks himself into a hotel room for months at a time and when he finally comes out, he's got a ridiculous engine in hand. Maybe that was something else.

Raising the Bar touched on that a little bit, but it was more of a history of the game along with some insight into the decisions being made on content and everything and even with some tidbits on how the team went about creating the engine and the look/feel of it. I think the coolest part of the book is when they show actual pictures of an eastern European locale and then next to it is the Source version of it. They have three pictures like that and it's just amazing to see what they were able to do with the engine.

Edge
12-21-04, 02:11 AM
I've been thinking about picking up this book, but unfortunatly it wasn't at the Barnes and Noble where my friend works and could've gotten a discount. What kind of things does it cover? Mainly the scripts and stuff that got cut? Or do they go pretty in-depth for how they made the game? Might be a nice tool for a mod developer, I wonder if anyone would be willing to go back and remake the scenes that they cut and integrate them into the game...

superklye
12-21-04, 02:19 AM
hahaha... you got me... :)
hehe. ;)

I've been thinking about picking up this book, but unfortunatly it wasn't at the Barnes and Noble where my friend works and could've gotten a discount. What kind of things does it cover? Mainly the scripts and stuff that got cut? Or do they go pretty in-depth for how they made the game? Might be a nice tool for a mod developer, I wonder if anyone would be willing to go back and remake the scenes that they cut and integrate them into the game...
Well, it doesn't really get into tutorial-esque description, just that the teams would go out and research EVERYTHING and by the end, they took over 50,000 pictures. Stuff like that. Details that aren't TOO detailed. They talk about the pitfalls that came with areas and how they implemented all sorts of aspects.

They talked about the evolution of many of the characters and they even showed the people that the characters were modeled after. Really cool stuff. They also talked about how much the Combine changed from the start and show a lot of early designs and such. They also talked a lot about the evolution of certain areas and how some areas that were scrapped had elements integrated into areas still in the game.

They also talked a lot about the choices made regarding the story or lack-thereof while at the same time, by showing scripts, flesh out a TON of details. I won't say anything because I don't want to spoil and because it was one of the best parts of the book, to me at least.

EDIT: And I got mine on Amazon for $23.

NAZCA M12
12-21-04, 02:43 AM
So when is the second book "millking the cow" gonna be released? Ops, sorry, couldn't resist. Damn, i need my medication. But i'm sure this book is going to be a great read (especially if it gets a lot on technical details).

Superfly
12-21-04, 05:24 AM
Milking the Cow - ROFL - thanks some funny s**t

Gaco
12-21-04, 05:37 AM
Thanks for reminding me. I'm ordering it now (cheers)

Ordered! :ORDER:

..together with the Making of Doom3 book :D

Lfctony
12-21-04, 06:24 AM
I haven't finished mine yet. Just passed the original train scene. :)

superklye
12-21-04, 10:53 AM
I haven't finished mine yet. Just passed the original train scene. :)
Isn't that part great? I really would've loved to have seen that happen. I also really liked the 2 or 3 2-page stories written for certain game areas to spark inspiration (the train, the atmospheric processor). Those were really cool and fun to read.

***CENSORED***
12-25-04, 10:12 AM
I too have raising the bar, and indeed, it's an incredible part of the HL2 experience.

jAkUp
12-25-04, 10:55 AM
Where can I get this book or order it?

***CENSORED***
12-25-04, 11:01 AM
I got it at Best Buy, but...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0761543643/qid=1103994023/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-4146226-6275931?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

jAkUp
12-25-04, 11:04 AM
Cool :) Thanx

LiquidX
12-25-04, 01:12 PM
How thick/pages is it?

Lfctony
12-25-04, 01:53 PM
It's 270 pages I think. It's big though, weighs 3.5 pounds.

aAv7
12-25-04, 05:02 PM
I bought and just finished this book and I must say...it is fantastic. It offers such a great look into the game design process and, more importantly, fleshes out a LOT of details regarding the HL2 backstory. The cut scenes and scripts for them that are placed in the book for your perusal are fantastic and it really makes me sad to know that so much awesome stuff was cut.

There is a three page script for the original train enteracne to the game and my God...it would've been awesome! So many amazing enemies were changed and cut. Sigh. This game is, in my opinion, the best FPS ever, and had HALF of this stuff been left in, the game not only would've been longer, but it would've been even better.

I HIGHLY recommend people getting this book. It's a limited edition printing so act fast. It's totally worth the price of admission.

I agree, I bought and read this book about a month ago and felt it was fantastic. It is truly ashame that valve cut so much out-it's funny though, cause again, it shows their not being truthful. There's still more to the delay than meets the eye, but the game is out, so whatever. I'm still hopefully valve will send out a few "bonus packs" with some "lost levels", especially the train scene in the begining they cut out.

crainger
12-25-04, 06:23 PM
I managed to pick up a copy about a month ago too. I loved every page of it, especially the short stories written to give the HL2 team an idea of the feel of the game. The little tale about the monsters penis was rather funny too.

Its a top book, hardcover too. I'm not sure, but I think its no longer being sold in Australia which is a bummer. If it is I think EB may have exclusive rights to it (from what the EB guys where I bought the book told me).

superklye
12-25-04, 07:16 PM
I agree, I bought and read this book about a month ago and felt it was fantastic. It is truly ashame that valve cut so much out-it's funny though, cause again, it shows their not being truthful. There's still more to the delay than meets the eye, but the game is out, so whatever. I'm still hopefully valve will send out a few "bonus packs" with some "lost levels", especially the train scene in the begining they cut out.
I agree completely. I would LOVE to see a Extended Edition put out (a la Peter Jackson) with some new "scenes" put in, like the extended train intro for one and some other things that were cut. I can't remember what else, but yeah. Some new weapons would be cool too.

Hopefully the expansion(s), if they happen, will somehow incorporate some cut features back into the game.

superklye
12-25-04, 07:17 PM
I managed to pick up a copy about a month ago too. I loved every page of it, especially the short stories written to give the HL2 team an idea of the feel of the game. The little tale about the monsters penis was rather funny too.

Its a top book, hardcover too. I'm not sure, but I think its no longer being sold in Australia which is a bummer. If it is I think EB may have exclusive rights to it (from what the EB guys where I bought the book told me).
I don't recall the tale about the monster's penis, unless you're referring to how they came up with Big Mama which was basically a walking scrotum. Heh...that was pretty funny. :) Or are you talking about the creature that would act like a horny male dog and try and hump the player?

I really loved those short stories, too. Some really great writing. :)

Edge
12-25-04, 08:40 PM
I don't recall the tale about the monster's penis, unless you're referring to how they came up with Big Mama which was basically a walking scrotum. Heh...that was pretty funny. :) Or are you talking about the creature that would act like a horny male dog and try and hump the player?

Wow...those Valve guys need to get out more!

superklye
12-25-04, 09:52 PM
Wow...those Valve guys need to get out more!
hahaha...I know man, I know. They had some really funny stories about how/when/where ideas came about. Those guys are nerds^2.

lapino
12-26-04, 03:02 AM
got this book too (got it shipped from usa to belgium, paid 12$ shipping costs + 10 customs fines but it's worth it...). great read and amazing insight on how/why certain things were scrapped. I don't think (and want) the scrapped areas to be released later on, it's pretty clear most stuff was cut because after playtesting people just said it wasn't interesting enough.

for a HL2 fan, this is a MUST buy!