PDA

View Full Version : Help with Steam

Raptorman
12-21-04, 01:44 AM
Okay, Steam gives me this error so I can't even start the bloody game. I've disabled my net connection and told it to run in offline mode, and still it gives me this error.

Steam - Error

Could not connect to Steam network.
This could be due to a problem with your Internet connection, or with the Steam Network. etc. etc.

I've tried connecting straight to the modem instead of going through the router and I'm still getting this error. I've also reinstalled steam, twice. Nothing. Now what? Considering I've just gotten HL2 and it would be nice to be able to play the thing.

-=DVS=-
12-21-04, 03:04 AM
You need to activate it atleast once then wait for all the patches then you can block it with firewall or disconnect lan , should work in that case . If it doesn't oh well noone likes Steam anyways.

Raptorman
12-21-04, 10:17 AM
How am I suppose to activate this thing when it doesn't bloody connect?

Raptorman
12-21-04, 11:19 AM
I have now reinstalled the game at Vivendi's Tech Supports suggestion, and guess what? It still doesn't work. I've gotten rid of all my startup items, I've connected straight into the modem, and I still get this error. This is just retarded to pay for a $60 game you can't even play cuz some moron decided to have an 'authentication system' before you can play the game. I'm half minded to return this game at this point. If they tell me "Well, you should reinstall Windows and this will probably fix your problem." They can blow it up their a**. I'm not going through all that for one game.

Now that I'm done ranting, anyone have any suggestions on how to get this stupid Steam program to work so that I can play the $60 piece of software that I paid for?

Raptorman
12-21-04, 12:07 PM
Two hours of tech support to find out they have no clue what is wrong with it.

superklye
12-21-04, 12:16 PM
Man...this really sucks. All I can say is thank Jesus you didn't buy the CE and waste $80 on the DVD version of the game only to have all of this happen. I'm sorry man, good luck. :(

PSYCHODAD
12-21-04, 03:51 PM
Don't know if it would help, but you could try using a restore point created before the Steam install. Assuming you have one of course. Then reinstall. (xmassign2

oldsk00l
12-21-04, 04:27 PM
Well, I was going to suggest suprnova, but they are gone now. Maybe a certain other popular p2p network has the crack sitting around???

Funny though, that you need to warez the game you paid for to enjoy it.

I wonder though, let's say you bought it, couldn't get it to work...so you obtain a less than legitemate copy if you could still face penalties???

Fatman
12-21-04, 05:12 PM
Check your firewall settings maybe?

Raptorman
12-21-04, 08:36 PM
It's not the firewall, or anything. I don't know wtf the problem is, but Steam will update but refuse to connect. It does look like I'm going to have to get a crack for this game to enjoy it. How ghey is that?

PM's to it would be very appreciated.

Raptorman
12-24-04, 11:25 PM
Just tried connecting to Steam on my laptop, and guess what....it works. So now I know it's not my connection. It's something to do with my desktop, any ideas?