PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Enable HDR For Games ???

MOTÖRHEAD
12-21-04, 07:28 PM
I have notice that after visiting rage3d that you can enable HDR in Doom 3 using ATI cards as well as in other games.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33748964&page=86&pp=30

and it makes it look kick butt ! Can I do the same with my 6800 GT card and enable HDR in Doom 3 and other games ??

|MaguS|
12-21-04, 07:38 PM
Looks like its an ATI OGL Hack.

saturnotaku
12-21-04, 07:39 PM
SmartShader is an ATI only feature. I was looking at some of the screenshots and wasn't terribly impressed with the blurriness and overexposure of the effects.

anzak
12-21-04, 08:03 PM
The effect is overdone so it only looks good in dark games (such as Doom 3 and Riddick). Oh and GLTron. It's included in the Catalyst Complete drivers along with 35 other smartshaders.

MOTÖRHEAD
12-21-04, 08:15 PM
So the commands below cannot enable HDR in Doom 3 using a Nvidia card ??

r_hdr_bloomFraction - fraction to smear across neighbors
r_hdr_exposure - maximum light scale
r_hdr_gamma - monitor gamma power
r_hdr_monitorDither - random dither in monitor space
r_hdr_useFloats - use a floating point rendering buffer

anzak
12-21-04, 08:23 PM

What? I believe these commands are for Far Cry. The Smartshader can be used in any OpenGL app.

MOTÖRHEAD
12-21-04, 08:26 PM
What? I believe these commands are for Far Cry. The Smartshader can be used in any OpenGL app.

http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/fullcvarlist.htm

No they are not click on the link above. In fact type in the commands in Doom 3 and you'll see that they are in fact real Doom 3 commands.

sirplayalot
12-21-04, 08:28 PM
Those Doom 3 shots look awsome!!! So there is NO way of getting em to work on a 6800GT? I would love that bloom effect in D3.

superklye
12-21-04, 08:30 PM
So let me get this straight, this IS for ATi only? Or it works for the 6800s as well?

sirplayalot
12-21-04, 08:46 PM
So let me get this straight, this IS for ATi only? Or it works for the 6800s as well?

wont work on my 6800GT :(. This looks really cool! I wish it worked!

MOTÖRHEAD
12-21-04, 08:49 PM

Did you create a autoexec.cfg file and use the commands I listed above ? Did you find out what their default values are ? If so what settings did you use ?

superklye
12-21-04, 09:05 PM
damn...I would actually considering playing Doom 3 again if it did work.

|MaguS|
12-21-04, 09:25 PM
It WILL not work, its using SMARTSHADERS which is only available in ATI, you also gotta download the "hack".

http://www.beyond3d.com/downloads/smartshader/

get pssControl2.zip entries.zip AND psseffects.zip

extract psscontrol2.zip to any folder

extract the "all" folder from entries.zip to the same folder
extract psseffects.zip to the same folder
open pssControl2.exe and browse the "all" folder for desired effect
all you have to do is open one of the .pss files and its automatically turned on
to turn off smartshader just hit the fat button that says it.

HDRish is the one your looking for. it was made by NitroGL, its alittle bit over done though.
also if you want motion blur, use Ghost from psseffects.zip (the one from entries.zip does not work)

MOTÖRHEAD
12-21-04, 09:28 PM
It WILL not work, its using SMARTSHADERS which is only available in ATI, you also gotta download the "hack".

Well that sucks ! Man when will Nvidia enable this for their cards via their drivers ?? HDR makes Doom 3 and other dark games look awesome ! HDR in far-cry is over kill in must cases but it is sorely needed in dark games like Doom 3.

MOTÖRHEAD
12-21-04, 09:29 PM
damn...I would actually considering playing Doom 3 again if it did work.

Same here !!

anzak
12-21-04, 10:59 PM
The overall effect is ugly IMO. Even in Doom 3 things are washed out and or to bright. So far I have been unable to lower the strength without breaking it (then again I have 0 experience programming shaders lol).

Marcos
12-22-04, 07:24 AM
WARNING:

Do not play Doom III with the ASCII smart shader unless you want to puke your guts out.

jolle
12-22-04, 08:55 AM

Carmack answered, when asked in a Email I think, that those r_hdr commands dont do anything.
They are leftovers from some experimentations with HDR, and are now nonfunctional.
which I think is a shame, would be neat if there had been functioning HDR.

Clay
12-22-04, 10:18 AM
I have notice that after visiting rage3d that you can enable HDR in Doom 3 using ATI cards as well as in other games.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33748964&page=86&pp=30

and it makes it look kick butt ! Can I do the same with my 6800 GT card and enable HDR in Doom 3 and other games ??
Personal preference weighs heavily here. In my opinion it looks like ass. I suppose that if I thought Honda Civics with bolt on fins and lawn mower sounding 8" diameter muffler extensions were an improvement/looked cool/etc...then I might like how those Doom3 shots appeared. Ze goggles!!! Zey do nothing! :eek: :D

Intel17
12-24-04, 01:18 PM
Carmack answered, when asked in a Email I think, that those r_hdr commands dont do anything.
They are leftovers from some experimentations with HDR, and are now nonfunctional.
which I think is a shame, would be neat if there had been functioning HDR.

Here's a little tidbit...The licencees get access to the code he ripped out from the game ;)

So Doom 3 the ENGINE has HDR :)