PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800 OC Fan Noise

DaShadow
12-21-04, 10:14 PM
I'm thinking about getting one of these for my Shuttle which I have modded to be almost silent.

Does anyone have one of these that can give me some insight into the amount of noise from their fans?

Having two fans kinda concerns me, and I'm thinking I might just go with Gigabyte's 6800 version that is Heat Pipe cooled.

I just like supporting an American company made from gamers and their support is industry leading. I just hate fan noise. ;)

siorai
12-21-04, 11:02 PM
The dual fan setup is actually pretty quiet. I would suggest grabbing an NV Silencer 5 though. When it is on full speed, it's quieter than the stock BFG cooler on low speed. It cools far better too... I usd to idle at about 51 with the stock cooler, but now idle at about 40 with the NV Silencer.

BlackPearl
12-21-04, 11:34 PM
NV Silencer would be great if it fits your Shuttle. My 6800 OC w/dual fans is fairly quiet, but definitely not "almost silent" like the rest of your box. Of the cards I'm using currently, X800pro is closest to silent (if you can ignore that ticking sound).

NemesisChild
12-21-04, 11:45 PM
The dual fan setup is actually pretty quiet. I would suggest grabbing an NV Silencer 5 though. When it is on full speed, it's quieter than the stock BFG cooler on low speed. It cools far better too... I usd to idle at about 51 with the stock cooler, but now idle at about 40 with the NV Silencer.

I agree, the twin fans do run relatively quiet. I run with the "fan always on" and never have had a noise issue. However, I'm not so convinced that this design does an adequate job of cooling. With that said, I will be buying a NV5 shortly.