PDA

View Full Version : AvP:HLE

superklye
12-22-04, 12:59 AM
Aliens vs. Predator: Half-Life Edition
http://www.planetavp.com/halfavp.shtml

Wallshadows, formerly known as AXP, has initiated construction of a new Aliens vs. Predator game mod for Half-Life 2. The timely release of this game mod, will depend on whether we're able to recruit a larger and more effective development team than we currently have. This is going to be a bigger project than we've ever attempted and could certainly use additional staff members.

The mod will be ALMOST a reconstruction of the AVP2 game with some major enhancements, needless-to-say. All the things the AVP2 community loved about AVP2 will be preserved. All the things the community hated will be non-existent. Without a doubt, the game/mod will utilize all the benefits and features of using the HL2 game engine. If you haven't seen or played Half-Life 2 yet, there’s no question you're missing out on the latest in game technologies!

The current development name for this game mod is AVPHLE (Aliens vs. Predator: Half-Life Edition). The final release name has not been determined yet. We are leaving that up to the AVP2 community. So if you have a cool name for this we are open for suggestions.

Advertisement
Even though this game mod will be running on the HL2 game platform, it is important to note that the focus of this mod will be to address the needs and desires of the AVP community, NOT so much the HL2 community. So when you need information and resources for this game mod, make sure you check AVP-centric sites like PlanetAVP.com FIRST... not necessarily Half-Life-centric sites!

The multi-player version of this game mod will contain the classic maps found in AVP2 (i.e. Alley, Compound, Outpost, Alesserfate, etc). In addition, there will also be a whole new line of never-before-seen maps. The game types will be similar to that of AVP2 (DM, TDM, HUNT, EVAC, OVERRUN, etc.), but will have a few more types added (i.e. TRIPLE HUNT, CTF, BOMBING RUN, DOUBLE TEAM, REVOLVING SPECIES, etc.).

The single-player version will contain a semi-linear quest for each race as it was in AVP2 but with some unique twists and superb HL2-style craftsmanship and artistic technique.

As far as the copyrights issue that will inevitably entrench itself in this project, we’re working on getting written approval from the AVP series folks.

Again, this game mod will be for Half-Life 2, not AVP2.

The present development team could use additional assistance for the following positions on our team:

---Technical---

Programmers/Script Writers

2-D Artists

3-D Modellers

Animators

Actors/Actrices (for voice-overs)

Mappers/Level Authors

Sound Engineers

Musicians

Hammer Editor Technicians

Web Developers (although we already have these bases covered for the most part)

---Other---

Consultants (knowledge of AVP2, Alien & Predator movies/books/culture is a must!)

General Purpose Assistants

Public Relations Staff / Community Polling Staff

Server Administrators (preferably those with available game servers)

Liaisons (to Valve, Fox, Sierra, Monolith, others)

Web-based Content Authors/Writers

We haven't filled many of the senior management positions either. So if you're interested in any of these management or lead positions, please send us a E-mail with your intentions and a brief history of yourself, your skill-sets, and perhaps even your expectations from us being a team member.

This project will be coordinated by experienced and mature project managers. As a result, the AVPHLE community can be assured that noob, "low-budget", or kiddie cultures or characteristics will NOT be seen in the team working environment or the product. The working conditions will be semi-professional with a casual over-tone. There will be deadlines for projects and commitments, yet flexibility and open-mindedness are trademarks of our team’s history.

Also, if anyone has any other resources to contribute (skins, maps, web space, sounds, etc) it would help us considerably. If resources are used, the donor will be credited in the game/mod.

Even if applicants are not technically inclined, talented, or skilled in the arts of modding HL2, we ask that they still apply since there are many other things that need to be done to make this project successful.

Currently, the team is mostly comprised of professional folks

If you or anyone you know would be interested in joining this project as a member or a contributor at any level, please contact Quad-Damage (quad-damage@comcast.net).

We're looking forward to hearing from you!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't wait! This is like a dream come true! The Aliens universe is perhaps my favorite of any universe created. I think I'm going to apply for some of the writer/web positions!

holmes
12-22-04, 01:06 AM
I'm quite interested as I'm a ravenous AvP fan, but this should have been developed on the Doom3 engine... oh well.

superklye
12-22-04, 01:10 AM
I'm quite interested as I'm a ravenous AvP fan, but this should have been developed on the Doom3 engine... oh well.
I think either engine would've been a good choice, and who knows? maybe one'll pop up for the Doom 3 engine, too.

I think the Source physics will provide for a lot of interesting encounters with the xenomorphs, to say the least.

superklye
12-22-04, 01:28 AM
i hope no stuttering...
does every one of your posts relate to the stuttering in some way, shape or form now? :rolleyes:

jolle
12-22-04, 05:25 AM

looking at the Marine campaign in Avp1, yeah totally..
tho if its gonna be a MP focused mod Im not gonna be that picky, and Source engine might be faster to work with as a modder, specially if your used to Hammer and such..

superklye
12-22-04, 08:13 AM
...hehehe you noticed... :)

...maybe i'm going to have an additional 512mb of ram this christmas... so that i'll stop complaining about stuttering in games, especially in hl2... hehehe :)
heh...I hope it works for you, too.

And I got on the team. w00t!

Ninjaman09
12-22-04, 08:50 AM
I give this mod a few weeks until they get a cease & desist from Fox. I don't know if any of you remember this, but there was a really REALLY good AvP mod for Quake 2 about 5 years ago. The gameplay was solid, though the models were a little rough around the edges and there were no new maps. Still, the Quake 2 DM maps worked very well. It really was probably the best AvP multiplayer game I've ever played but Fox had to go and tell them to stop because they were using their license. Pissed me off a lot.

Vash
12-22-04, 09:25 AM
And I got on the team. w00t!

Sweet! Good luck; I'm looking forward to playing this when it's released.

WeReWoLf
12-22-04, 07:39 PM
I reckon they should leave the Ant Lions in as some sort of terra-forming overprotictive natural element. This could also heighten the sense of fear because of the aliens, but also because the Ant-lions could burst out of the ground and start attempting to rip you to shreds.

GamerGuyX
12-22-04, 07:59 PM
Oh...

I was hoping for screenshots... :o

Banko
12-22-04, 08:00 PM
Too bad, AVP would really fit nicely on the Doom 3 engine as well.

superklye
12-22-04, 08:12 PM
Yeah, they might as well just cancel the entire project because, i mean, f*ck, go Doom 3 or go home.

:rolleyes:

GamerGuyX
12-22-04, 08:21 PM
Yeah, they might as well just cancel the entire project because, i mean, f*ck, go Doom 3 or go home.

:rolleyes:

I really don't think he meant it like that. Then again I can only speak for myself.