PDA

View Full Version : PureVideo, how can I use it?

Pages : [1] 2

wrugoin
12-22-04, 01:54 AM
I just visited the Nvidia website and saw their banner for the PureVideo that's supposed to make video playback and encoding much sharper/better/faster or something. I'm behind the curve a bit on this and was wondering what needs to be done to experience this feature with my 6800NU.

First, do the current "official" drivers (66.93) support PureVideo?

Second, will I get the benefits of PureVideo ONLY with the Nvidia DVD Decoder that I need to buy for $20?

Third, will I see the benefits of PureVideo with 3rd party media players such as Windows Media Player 10, BSPlayer, or Cyberlink's PowerDVD Pro?

And Last, Has anyone here used it yet? I'm curious what your initial impressions are.

Thanks for any and all help.... And if you have the time, please go into detail for us noobs out there.

Oh! and I love Guinness :beer2:

Edge
12-22-04, 05:04 AM
If your 6800nu is an AGP version, you can't get Purevideo. Only the PCI-E 6800nu and the 6600 series actually have a *working* implimentation of Purevideo, the other 6800 cards basically have a defective video processing core.

But, if you are using a 6800nu PCI-E, then you should just be able to follow the instructions on Nvidia's page to get it working. The latest drivers, the NvDVD decoder (I think they have a 30 day trial for it), and WMP10 is really all you should need to get it working. I *think* it will work in other media players, but the only one that seems to be officially supported is WMP10. Unfortunatly I'm unable to test it myself since my 6800nu is the AGP version.

jolle
12-22-04, 05:12 AM
PureVideo, works on all cards, the exception being WMV9 HW acceleration which doesnt work on NV40&NV45 due to the partially defective VPU (as it seems)
Those are as mentioned 6800NU/GT/ULTRA AGP and 6800GT/Ultra PCI-E
It supposedly works on 6800 PCI-E, and not the 6600 series.

the DVD capabilities and WMV "processing" (image enhancements I guess) is available on all GPUs with PureVideo.

jolle
12-22-04, 07:45 AM
dont know the exact conditions, I think you need the NV DVD decoder atm..
And it will only work on DVD/Mpeg2 content as far as HW acceleration goes..

The "processing" bit should apply to WMV aswell, which I assume should be enhancing the image a bit when rescaling etc..
Will not be HW accelerated tho, and entirely done on CPU.

The FULL PureVideo featureset will only work on
6800 (non Ultra) PCI-E
6200 (restricted to 720p in WMV it seems, no HighDef format HW accel)

Listed here:
http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html

Smeagle
12-22-04, 10:28 AM
Hi,

how can I be sure "PureVideo" is working? Im using the "trial" dvd decoder, driver version 67.02 (latest "official" beta).

"Testing" with Media Center 2005.

If at all, "Deinterlacing" works very bad, crawling dots and other temporal errors (moving noise on fine details), flickering on top of picture; picture is not very sharp.

It's not looking any better than before, before I was using the "WinDVD 5" MPEG Decoder. At the Moment I prefer the picture quality of WinDVD5.

OK, I'm viewing it on a front projector at very large size, maybe I expected too much?

- Oliver

Hartley
12-22-04, 10:49 AM
I don't get it, who in 2004 needs DVD acceleration ?

Smeagle
12-22-04, 11:04 AM
Hi,

for _ME_ it's not about acceleration, it doesn't matter if decoding takes 30% or 90% CPU-power, as long as there ist no stutter/lost frame...

But it is about QUALITY! But I cannot notice better quality, so I wonder wether this is all PR-bull**** or if PureVideo is not working on my System.

I understand, WMV-HD acceleration is not working on my card (6800NU AGP), but everything else should work.

And to be even more specific: It's not about DVD-playback quality, its alreade good enough in WinDVD5, it's about watching TV (interlaced!) in Media Center Edition.

- Oliver

Edge
12-22-04, 11:21 AM
I don't get it, who in 2004 needs DVD acceleration ?

Ever try watching a 1080p/i or 720p video on anything less than a 3ghz processor?

Cota
12-22-04, 11:26 AM
Hi,

for _ME_ it's not about acceleration, it doesn't matter if decoding takes 30% or 90% CPU-power, as long as there ist no stutter/lost frame...

But it is about QUALITY! But I cannot notice better quality, so I wonder wether this is all PR-bull**** or if PureVideo is not working on my System.

I understand, WMV-HD acceleration is not working on my card (6800NU AGP), but everything else should work.

And to be even more specific: It's not about DVD-playback quality, its alreade good enough in WinDVD5, it's about watching TV (interlaced!) in Media Center Edition.

- Oliver

Actually according to anandtech 6800nu should do WMV-HD acceleration.

jolle
12-22-04, 11:39 AM
Actually according to anandtech 6800nu should do WMV-HD acceleration.
NV41, ie 6800NU PCI-E
I think the AGP versions are still NV40.

adpr 02
12-22-04, 12:04 PM
mine works great. before I had 100% processes used sometimes, now it doesn't go higher than 25%. I didn't even know what it did until this morning; as a matter of fact, I didn't even know my videocard had it. Awsome Christmass present, NVIDIA.

PikachuMan
12-22-04, 12:54 PM
how can I be sure "PureVideo" is working? Im using the "trial" dvd decoder, driver version 67.02 (latest "official" beta).

Actually, the latest "official" betas from nvidia is 67.03, it's just the "Beta drivers" link on nvidia.com is outdated. if you go to the page it takes you to, and then click the "Beta drivers" link on the side panel, it goes to 67.03 Download page (http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_67.03.html)

I'm with Smeagle, Hardware or software, I don't really care, just tell me how to get it working.

(xmassign)

Smeagle
12-22-04, 01:21 PM
Ahhh,

I just visited the 67.03-link (Thanx for that!) and there it is clearly stated:

" New Features: Enables PureVideo technology on GeForce 6 Series GPUs. "

So, I'm quite sure, PureVideo wasn't activ with the 67.02 I used :)

I'll retest it all and let you know me results!

- Oliver

pjstp20
12-22-04, 01:48 PM
Second, will I get the benefits of PureVideo ONLY with the Nvidia DVD Decoder that I need to buy for $20?

Third, will I see the benefits of PureVideo with 3rd party media players such as Windows Media Player 10, BSPlayer, or Cyberlink's PowerDVD Pro?

Has anyone given a definitive answer to these questions? Because I would sure like to know the answer as well.

Huigie
12-22-04, 03:01 PM
I want pure video so that cool"n"quiet stays running cool. I don't like my fans running loud while watching a DVD...

Gurra101
12-22-04, 03:19 PM
I downloaded the purevideo thing the 30 day trail! But if I donīt have a credit card then I canīt installe the program:(

Demigod
12-22-04, 03:51 PM
A trial key was posted in the other thread

Name: NVIDIA Trial
Email Address: dvdtrial@nvidia.com
Last 4 Digits of Credit Card: 2004
Activation Key: 7152-9346-DD6E-2CB0-79A3-5F08-AC23

What dvd software supports it? I cant seemingly get it to work with windvd/ powerdvd 4/5 or 6. or windows media classic. no icon appears anywhere on my task bar? When I run the nStantMedia.exe prog It comes up full screen and flickers like hell. I cant seem to get it to do anything.

doddsy
12-22-04, 04:09 PM
A trial key was posted in the other thread

Name: NVIDIA Trial
Email Address: dvdtrial@nvidia.com
Last 4 Digits of Credit Card: 2004
Activation Key: 7152-9346-DD6E-2CB0-79A3-5F08-AC23

What dvd software supports it? I cant seemingly get it to work with windvd/ powerdvd 4/5 or 6. or windows media classic. no icon appears anywhere on my task bar? When I run the nStantMedia.exe prog It comes up full screen and flickers like hell. I cant seem to get it to do anything.

wmp 10.

it works for me with divx player playing hd mpeg2.......but no sound.

Demigod
12-22-04, 04:11 PM
Well im stuck then as Im on win2k and wmp10 doesnt work, or at least it didnt last time i tried to download it.

rewt
12-22-04, 04:12 PM
do you have media player 9? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player.aspx

Demigod
12-22-04, 04:16 PM
yey but how do I get it to work with dvd's?

microsofts faq:
Why can't I play a DVD?
* A compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.
* A DVD drive is not installed in your computer (most DVD drives have a DVD logo printed or embossed on the front of the drive).
* Windows XP is not installed on your computer.
* Windows Media Player 9 Series or later is not installed on your computer.

rewt
12-22-04, 04:22 PM
Make this .reg file and run it.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\P layer\Settings]
"EnableDVDUI"="Yes"

Demigod
12-22-04, 04:39 PM
Tried it as above and closed the gap in player reset and it doesnt work :(

rewt
12-22-04, 04:52 PM
That reg hack works for all versions of windows. The problem is elsewhere.

What exactly isn't working again?

Demigod
12-22-04, 04:55 PM
I start up wmp9, the drop down list says there is nothing in the drive.
File open shows the disk but wont let me just select it as a source