PDA

View Full Version : Must be connected online to play HL2 SP?

Pages : [1] 2

JediKnight
12-23-04, 02:00 AM
Everytime I play, I have to be online, let STEAM start, then I can launch HL2. I then log off and play. Why cant I just start PC and lauch the game. Unless I connect first, I cant play. Any ideas? thanks

rewt
12-23-04, 02:25 AM
Make sure steam is allowed to store user info on your machine. Then you can play in offline mode. It will still try to connect twice tho... But if you're offline then offline mode will kick in. But like I say, only if user info and password has been stored.

If you're online all the time then you can try using ZoneAlarm to block it.

superklye
12-23-04, 08:10 AM
Where the hell have you been? This has been common knowledge for months before the game was launched and the MINIMUM game requirements are "an internet connection".

Jeez. :rolleyes:

Ninjaman09
12-23-04, 08:21 AM
Everytime I play, I have to be online, let STEAM start, then I can launch HL2. I then log off and play. Why cant I just start PC and lauch the game. Unless I connect first, I cant play. Any ideas? thanks

(welcome)

But seriously, you in fact can start the PC and just play. You don't need to be online to run Steam - it will start in offline mode if you aren't online.

noko
12-23-04, 08:57 PM
So what is the difference? Is Valve keeping track of our gaming or something? Checking for trends and what not? What else is steam keeping track of???

superklye
12-23-04, 09:14 PM
Jesus Christ! Are you serious? Steam authenticates your game, checks your CD key/username to make sure it's a valid copy of the game. For Christ's sake, pay attention! This has been an on-going topic for some time now. I don't understand how people cannot be aware of what playing HL2 entails. :rolleyes:

noko
12-23-04, 09:46 PM
Its easy, just got the game :). Reason for dumb questions I guest for you to answer ;). I usally just browse the game sections to work out any game issues and what not, I rather play the game more then live at a game section of the forum, just me by the way. Peace.

JediKnight
12-25-04, 01:34 AM
the MINIMUM game requirements are "an internet connection

You dont say? Thanks for "enlightening us". Now we can sleep in peace because we were all lost. Thats not the issue. I KNOW you need an "internet connection".

Jeez, thanks for the sensible reply rewt. :-)

superklye
12-25-04, 02:18 AM
You dont say? Thanks for "enlightening us". Now we can sleep in peace because we were all lost. Thats not the issue. I KNOW you need an "internet connection".

Jeez, thanks for the sensible reply rewt. :-)
If you knew why did you ask:
Unless I connect first, I cant play. Any ideas? thanks

I thought, by having an internet connection as MINIMUM REQUIREMENT it was pretty obvious an internet connection would be needed in some way, shape or form to play. Guess I put too much faith into people.

BioHazZarD
12-25-04, 04:43 AM
Yeah but some people think its only for registration or something.

vampireuk
12-25-04, 07:31 AM
I thought, by having an internet connection as MINIMUM REQUIREMENT it was pretty obvious an internet connection would be needed in some way, shape or form to play. Guess I put too much faith into people.

It is amazing how naive some folk are

JediKnight
12-25-04, 08:11 AM
For the last time. People. I know you need an internet connection as a minimum requirement because thats the only way you can install the game. All that STEAM stuff. Its not deep. Read my question carefully. Why cant I just start pc and play the game? Its not like Im going to play MP. Why do I need those extra resources going when I play SP mode?

JediKnight
12-25-04, 09:06 AM
just like rewt said. Its all about the offline mode. Cool. thanks again everyone.

BioHazZarD
12-31-04, 12:45 PM
steam is a program the devil himself would have made.

Woodelf
12-31-04, 01:08 PM
Once I registered, I could play single player HL-2 off line (physically disconnected or firewalled) on off line mode. Steam start's, but I'm not on line. I had to wait for it to check my online status before prompting me to choose offline mode though.

Rakeesh
12-31-04, 01:12 PM
Jesus Christ! Are you serious? Steam authenticates your game, checks your CD key/username to make sure it's a valid copy of the game.

Well, not exactly. :D

When you log into steam and verify your account name and password, it asks the server if you own the game. It doesn't need any cdkeys or anything to do this, the servers just have that information readily available stored with your account info. Once it does this, it asks the server to generate a digital certificate that the game itself validates prior to actually running, and it wont run without a valid certificate.

The cdkey is only used one single time ever in the entire lifetime of your game, and that is when you activate the game in your steam account. It is never stored anywhere on your computer and it is never used ever again.

For what its worth, I have actually had half life glitch before and I used control-alt-del to terminate steam (it was the first process listed, and usually terminating it terminates the game so I just went ahead and killed it anyways.) For some reason or another though the game didn't actually terminate, in fact it kept running (albeit with a few glitches, but that was caused by something else, not by steam terminating.)

The game itself is quite capable of running without steam, it just has several checks in place to ensure that steam is running while it is running. This is just part of their DRM scheme.

Woodelf
12-31-04, 01:16 PM
.it just has several checks in place to ensure that steam is running while it is running.

I've noticed this when I had my firewall permissions set up to ask. It kept popping up. but when set to deny, it ran fine.

Rakeesh
12-31-04, 01:28 PM
If somebody talented with hacking really wanted to, they could create a program that loads HL2's program data into memory and then do some dynamic patching of the game that would make it run completely independently of steam (except you'd have to install it from steam first though, and you can't do that without owning a legal copy.) It could just skip the cert checks and the checks to ensure that steam is running. There would be zero evidence of tampering left over since nothing stored to the hard disk is modified. Provided steam isn't running in the background while you do this, theres not a chance in hell that valve could ever find out. It would be like one of those no-cd loaders. The problem would be keeping track of updates since they probably have a way of doing silent updates that are rather unnoticeable.

Probably wouldn't work for multiplayer though. The server side would check your steam ID and the steam auth servers would show that the account tied to that steam ID isn't actually logged on, so you'd get booted. Or something like that, I've never looked at the multiplayer auth system.

I've noticed this when I had my firewall permissions set up to ask. It kept popping up. but when set to deny, it ran fine.

The checks I am referring to make sure that the steam program is running, they don't necessarily check to see if the network is still online (I think steam itself does this.)

Raptorman
12-31-04, 09:16 PM
steam is a program the devil himself would have made.

That's the truth.

There's ways to get fully rid of steam, but you have to crack your copy of HL2 to do it (I will give no links on how to do this). You wouldn't get updates if you did this. You'll just have to put up with steam or run it in offline mode by disabling your internet connection. As for some of us Steam just won't connect and we had to crack our copies in order to play a game we legally purchased.

Woodelf
01-01-05, 08:28 AM
The checks I am referring to make sure that the steam program is running, they don't necessarily check to see if the network is still online (I think steam itself does this.)

You've got me there, I can't (half the time) figure out what steam is doing, much less what any checks behind it are doing. One thing I think we can agree on, is that it's nothing but soaking up resources as far as gamers are concerned. I mean, if they don't even care if steam is online during single player game play, why not shut it down.

JediKnight
01-02-05, 11:30 PM
Woodelf, same here. Takes a few minutes though before it checks. thats what sucks. I used to start HL and it would just jang but now I know I have to wait a few min until I can check offline mode. :-)

Woodelf
01-03-05, 05:34 PM
Woodelf, same here. Takes a few minutes though before it checks. thats what sucks. I used to start HL and it would just jang but now I know I have to wait a few min until I can check offline mode. :-)
Wow, that's wierd. It only took me about 4 seconds.

Serial_Killer
01-04-05, 07:05 PM
It isn't impossible to get around steam ;)

Sorrow
01-05-05, 08:02 AM
just start in offline mode, that's what i do when my connection goes out sometimes.

Ninjaman09
01-05-05, 08:19 AM
Are you running Windows 9x/ME? I know that's an issue with those OSs.