PDA

View Full Version : Tried to flash my 6800GTO, and erased my EEPROM!

Pages : [1] 2

phalaris
12-23-04, 06:03 AM
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Well, I just tried to flash my Dell 6800 GTO to a Gainward standard 6800GT (popular and stable bios), using Nvflash 5.06. I used the -5 and -6 switches to force the flash as recommended... but I still got a Board ID mismatch error. Someone suggested in the Nvidia bios thread to use -e switch to fix this. So I did. Now I don't have a working card. That -e switch erased the EEPROM, and I'm worried now that I have a big fat expensive paperweight of a vid card! (snowman)

Any ideas? Anyone? I swear I won't touch a friggin thing on this card if I can get it fixed... right now the monitor power button stays amber (monitor doesn't come on, and the rig is booting properly... because I can hear the startup sounds).

Thanks,

Phalaris

Superfly
12-23-04, 07:04 AM
Toasted - Kaput, dead as a dead thing on a dead day........

Your best bet for help is here: www.mvktech.net - ask in the forums, however I fear its a lost cause.

Best of Luck.

saturnotaku
12-23-04, 07:17 AM
You better have a PCI video card laying around as that might be your only hope for recovery. If not, keep that paperweight in a place where you'll always see it as a reminder to either 1) never do something like that again or 2) read absolutely everything you can about any modifications and pieces of software necessary to do them, and once you've done that ask questions.

nIghtorius
12-23-04, 07:29 AM
Hmm.. the system is still booting up???

probably you can do is create a bootable disk with NVFlash on it including your original bios (I hope your backed that one up).. and try to flash it blindly (since you don't have an image).

remember to type "YES" in all-caps to flash back your original bios.

theultimo
12-23-04, 08:33 AM
Heh, i've done it blindly on a laptop, its not that hard, you just gotta remember the steps. Fixed it for me.

|MaguS|
12-23-04, 08:43 AM
Im still trying to understand why you would flash a card with bios from another card that is completly different from the card. The GTO is not a GT card. It only has 12 pipelines and runs at slower mhz. Can the GTO's pipes even be unlocked?

saturnotaku
12-23-04, 08:48 AM
Now that I think about it, I seem to recall seeing somewhere that the GTO was an 8 pipline card.

|MaguS|
12-23-04, 09:38 AM
Thought it was 12...

msxyz
12-23-04, 10:25 AM
If you have a floppy, or if your motherboards support booting from a usb flashdrive, you might try a "blind" flash but first you should check that your system still boots somehow and this does not always happen because the VGA bios is loaded before the main bios. (This does not apply to some modern "fault-tolerant" motherboards with dual bioses)

The other option is to puruchase a dirty cheap PCI card. A Radeon 7000 PCI may be found for as low as 20$ and in your case it's well worth the expense. Other PCI videocards scavenged from ancient PCs might work as well.

You don't know how many time a PCI video card has saved my life. I'm the kind of guy who is not happy until it can tweak every single screw of his PC :)

|MaguS|
12-23-04, 10:33 AM
I use an old Geforce card as my PCI card, hehe.

pcweltz
12-23-04, 10:42 AM
Dell 6800GTO's are Ultras that didn't make the cut. They have the Double-slot backplate with dual DVI, but have a 6800GT cooler installed. There are boucoup reports of failed attempts to unlock them from 12 to 16 pipes on the latest card version, so it's possible there's been some board revision change.

mustrum
12-23-04, 10:46 AM
Toasted - Kaput, dead as a dead thing on a dead day........

Your best bet for help is here: www.mvktech.net - ask in the forums, however I fear its a lost cause.

Best of Luck.
What a useless comment. PCI card - reflash and it's fine again!

dreden
12-23-04, 10:48 AM
Yes. use a PCI card and flash back. Done that, been there. Hehe! :D

TimeOut
12-23-04, 11:19 AM
Well, the Dell 6800 GTO is PCI-Express card and you flashed it with a BIOS for AGP cards. :screwy:

You only hope is booting up the system using a PCI video card, then flash the GTO with the original BIOS.

Superfly
12-23-04, 01:14 PM
What a useless comment. PCI card - reflash and it's fine again!

I was actually trying to make a point to the thread starter that flashing his bios was a silly thing to do as he obviously had no prior knowledge of how to solve problems or issues.

Of course if you wanna just through out a fix for him then fine, however I felt making him search for the fix himself would have furthered his knowledge and stopped him being so careless in future.

Useless - no
Trying to help this guys knowledge rather than just say here its fixed!! - yes.

phalaris
12-23-04, 01:23 PM
Wow! Responses are all over the board on this one. Okay... 2 things. One... if I put a PCI vid card in, boot from CD again, when I reflash, will it automatically reflash the PCI-express card and not the PCI temporary card? #2... being that I don't have a floppy... and booted from a CD... I wasn't able to make a backup of my bios. I know... I deserve lashings! But I've been reading about this for weeks on this forum... and I finally felt comfortable enough to do this. Jeezus. I've asked DAK125, who has a GTO and has lots of fun tweaking it, for his original bios... to give this a shot. Just want to make sure I don't flash the temporary PCI card instead of the GTO. The GTO does have 12 pipelines, and mine, which is a newer model, is not able to unlock the last 4 pipes, like some earlier models. Dell and Nvidia got wise, it seems...

Thx again for all your help guys and gals...

Phalaris

hypertek
12-23-04, 02:05 PM
just try blind flashing... i had to do it to my 6800gt once when i put the wrong command into nvflash and it went bad... blind flashing works.

Cota
12-23-04, 02:12 PM
Wow! Responses are all over the board on this one. Okay... 2 things. One... if I put a PCI vid card in, boot from CD again, when I reflash, will it automatically reflash the PCI-express card and not the PCI temporary card? #2... being that I don't have a floppy... and booted from a CD... I wasn't able to make a backup of my bios. I know... I deserve lashings! But I've been reading about this for weeks on this forum... and I finally felt comfortable enough to do this. Jeezus. I've asked DAK125, who has a GTO and has lots of fun tweaking it, for his original bios... to give this a shot. Just want to make sure I don't flash the temporary PCI card instead of the GTO. The GTO does have 12 pipelines, and mine, which is a newer model, is not able to unlock the last 4 pipes, like some earlier models. Dell and Nvidia got wise, it seems...

Thx again for all your help guys and gals...

Phalaris

You should have used rivatuner instead.

Bios flashing rarely enables locked pipes.

And as Hypertek said, try blindflashing it worked for me when I flashed a tweaked bios to my 5900nu

phalaris
12-23-04, 02:14 PM
Well, Superfly... I can appreciate your philosophy and approach... however I am in a world of hurt, and I'm stuck! You don't know how many threads on how many forums I have read about how to flash... I mean hell... even learning how to make a functional Boot CD was a learning adventure (this is my first rig w/o a floppy). However, it was that one post where one guy (or gal) said to put the -e switch on nvflash if you get the Board mismatch error. So I did it... and now I'm toast. I'm not looking for the easy way out... just don't want my nice new rig to be outdated before I can get it up and running again! (xmasmile)

Happy holidays guys and gals...

Phalaris

Marcos
12-23-04, 03:44 PM
Im still trying to understand why you would flash a card with bios from another card that is completly different from the card. The GTO is not a GT card. It only has 12 pipelines and runs at slower mhz. Can the GTO's pipes even be unlocked?

yeah sounds like asking for trouble

phalaris
12-24-04, 02:00 PM
So here's an update. Thanks all you guys for recommending a PCI card. I went out and got a Radeon 7000VE for about $30 bucks. Since I don't have my original bios... I reflashed with the 6800GT PCIx bios, and nothing. It even recognized that the EEPROM had been erased, and rewrote it with the new bios info... which was good! So then I found a 6800U PCIx bios, and still nothing. I know those cards are inherently different from my 12 piper, but they were the only two PCIx 6800 bios I could find. I'm still hunting for a copy of the original GTO bios...

Thanks again, those of you who suggested the PCI and reflash... good approach! Merry Xmas! (xmastree) (cheers)

phalaris

UberRN69
12-24-04, 02:46 PM
I took a little time to look around and I would have to say that your biggest problem right now is that no one has a BIOS for a Dell 6800 PCI-E GTO. Nobody else has made a PCI-E version out of the 6800 non-Ultra GPU. There's plenty of PCI-E 6800 GT's and Ultra's, but no non-ultra's. And to further complicate things your non-Ultra GPU has been further customized with additional memory: 256Mb vs. 128MB. You might be forced to call Dell tech support and admit you have screwed up your BIOS. Dell has a hugh FTP site, BUT none of the files are clearly marked what they are for, I'm sure that somewhere in there is the BIOS for your card. Happy Hunting! (xmasgrin)

You could try looking on your own. I found BIOS for some of Dell's older Video cards.
ftp://ftp.dell.com/bios/

Slyder
12-24-04, 05:12 PM
Never play with something you have absolutely no knowledge about is the lesson to be learnt here. I fail to see why people wish to try killing there cards.

I havnt read all this thread, but isnt your Dell still covered, can you not take it back ?

Cota
12-24-04, 05:37 PM
So here's an update. Thanks all you guys for recommending a PCI card. I went out and got a Radeon 7000VE for about $30 bucks. Since I don't have my original bios... I reflashed with the 6800GT PCIx bios, and nothing. It even recognized that the EEPROM had been erased, and rewrote it with the new bios info... which was good! So then I found a 6800U PCIx bios, and still nothing. I know those cards are inherently different from my 12 piper, but they were the only two PCIx 6800 bios I could find. I'm still hunting for a copy of the original GTO bios...

Thanks again, those of you who suggested the PCI and reflash... good approach! Merry Xmas! (xmastree) (cheers)

phalaris

try using a 6800LE or 6800nu bios
there is no way the 6800GTO will work with the 6800GT bios
Or you can mod the gt bios with a bios editor and use lower clocks.

rewt
12-24-04, 06:49 PM
I was actually trying to make a point to the thread starter that flashing his bios was a silly thing to do as he obviously had no prior knowledge of how to solve problems or issues.

Of course if you wanna just through out a fix for him then fine, however I felt making him search for the fix himself would have furthered his knowledge and stopped him being so careless in future.

Useless - no
Trying to help this guys knowledge rather than just say here its fixed!! - yes.

:thumbsup: