PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT fan not slowing down anymore?

lapino
12-23-04, 10:17 AM
Just installed a new system :
MSI K8N NEO2
AMD XP3500+ 64bit (s939)
1gig Corsair RAM
6800GT with NV5 Silencer
200gb Seagate SATA
Drivers installed for mainboard + forceware (latest official)

In my previous pc, the NV5 fan slowed down quite a bit after loading winXP (so at the moment when the driver kicks in). I reinstalled winXP on my new pc and now I notice the fan doesn't spin down anymore.

Is there anything I can do about this? It's pretty loud now (even with the NV5 !)

NemesisChild
12-23-04, 12:24 PM
Is the NV5 fan connected directly to your power supply or the 6800GT?
Also, check in your display properties, is the "fan always on" option enabled?
If so, this forces the fan to run at a higher level, but could go higher if it senses elevated heat.
I'm surprised to hear that the NV5 is pretty loud, this doesn't sound normal.
You could have a faulty NV5, the heat sensor on the fan could be shot.

lapino
12-23-04, 12:31 PM
it's the second nv5 I have, I bought a second one because I though the first one was pretty loud. but then again I might be expecting a little too much (I thought the NV5 was completely silent but it's not)

Also, it seems my temp for my 6800GT isn't exactly very good (54C idle with case open). My cpu temp isn't even that high... Could this be causing the fan to be pretty fast spinning?

Mind, if I use the stock cooler on my videocard (Aopen) it's even louder (about 2x as loud). I've had a pretty loud 6800GT right from the beginning so it might be a faulty card but my retailer still refuses to take a look at it!

Mud
12-23-04, 12:42 PM
Also, it seems my temp for my 6800GT isn't exactly very good (54C idle with case open). My cpu temp isn't even that high... Could this be causing the fan to be pretty fast spinning?

if you have proper caseflow you shouldn't get lower temps with the case side off, it only takes seconds with my case side off before the temps start to skyrocket.

NemesisChild
12-23-04, 12:56 PM
Mind, if I use the stock cooler on my videocard (Aopen) it's even louder (about 2x as loud). I've had a pretty loud 6800GT right from the beginning so it might be a faulty card but my retailer still refuses to take a look at it!

I would go directly to the manufacturer, don't mess around with the retailer.
Aopen should stand by their product and it could still be under warranty.
You may have a faulty card, proof seems to lie in the high fan speed and loudness.

lapino
12-23-04, 01:00 PM
I bought my card the minute it was available here in belgium so I haven't been able to compare mine with another 6800GT. I'm kinda hoping someone could shed a light...

Vapor Trail
12-23-04, 04:39 PM
Just installed a new system :
MSI K8N NEO2
AMD XP3500+ 64bit (s939)
1gig Corsair RAM
6800GT with NV5 Silencer
200gb Seagate SATA
Drivers installed for mainboard + forceware (latest official)

In my previous pc, the NV5 fan slowed down quite a bit after loading winXP (so at the moment when the driver kicks in). I reinstalled winXP on my new pc and now I notice the fan doesn't spin down anymore.

Is there anything I can do about this? It's pretty loud now (even with the NV5 !)

Check your bios settings for the mobo and see if you have any overclocking on. The Neo 2 will overclock your video card as well as the proc.

Check your temps at idle and at full 3d load (run the rthdribl demo in a window and watch your temps off to the side).