PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800 OC Question

Rooster_11
12-23-04, 01:33 PM
I'm thinking about purchasing either a 6600GT AGP or a 6800 OC. I've heard that some 6800s can be flashed to unlock other pipelines to make it a 6800GT, is that true? I can get a BFG 6800 OC for $ 230 with Far Cry. Right now AGP 6600GTs are about $200-250 and are kinda scarce, so I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get a 6800 OC.

NemesisChild
12-23-04, 01:46 PM
There's no guarentee that you'll be able to unlock all of the pipes.
That's the problem with a plain jane 6800.
Now, I'm not sure about flashing it to a GT and having all 16 pipes.
If I recall from other posts, this is also a gamble.
You're better off spending the extra money for a 6800GT, which has all 16 pipes unlocked.

saturnotaku
12-23-04, 01:48 PM
If I recall from other posts, this is also a gamble.

It's a gamble that will not pay off. Best way to check for unlocking is to do the RivaTuner softmod. That way you don't run the risk of doing something stupid.

hectorsm
12-23-04, 02:26 PM
Most people are having success with the softmode using RivaTuner. There are still some cards out there with truely defective pipes that will not work correctly even after the softmode. It is a matter of luck. But for about $250 at BestBuy or Fry's it has the best price/performance ratio out there right now if you can get the pipes to work succesfully.

You can always return your card if you don't like it (xmasgrin)

Rooster_11
12-23-04, 02:41 PM
You can always return your card if you don't like it (xmasgrin)

exactly! i figure i'll buy it try to mod it and if it's a no go, take it back. :angel2:
that's kinda cheap, but what the hell.

siorai
12-23-04, 05:46 PM
exactly! i figure i'll buy it try to mod it and if it's a no go, take it back. :angel2:
that's kinda cheap, but what the hell.
Actually that's being an asshat. By being a dick like that, you not only cause stores to jack up their prices becauase they then have to sell that card as used, but it also reflects back to the original card maker as well. Do your research beforehand and then decide if you want to take the risk or not. If you happent o get a card that doesn't unlock, too bad. Suck it up and maybe next time, you'll decide to pony up the money to buy the card that gives the performance you actually want.

One thing to know though, if you do softmod an OC, there's no guarantee that it won't die or have problems later. Mine unlocked perfectly. For a couple weeks. Then I started seeing white flashing pixels in the shadows of Halflife 2. I immediately relocked the pipelines and thankfully, the card is fine.

cappn
12-24-04, 04:27 AM
yeah, dont be a dick :condom:

Rooster_11
12-24-04, 10:21 AM
:afro2: ok mon