PDA

View Full Version : What is up with the game profiler?

Acid Rain
12-23-04, 01:20 PM
O.K., I have been searching the solution, and haven't seen any definitive anwers, or any solutions whatsoever, actually.

The deal is that the game profiler seems to be a bit broken in the 66.93s and beyond. I have seen this problem brought up but no answers. Does anyone know how to make the profiler work as it used to (in the 61.77s for instance)?

It used to be flawless, but now (since 66.93) it doesn't allow you to create certain profiles (for Far Cry and Painkiller, for instance), and seems to not always work quite right for the games that you can profile.

Everytime I open the profiler and choose a different profile from the one I was working with, it tells me that the current one has been modified and I will lose the changes if I don't save.

This is after I have already changed the profile and "applied" it, so it has been saved, of course.

It doesn't lose the changes if I say no, but it's weird that it asks everytime. Not the hugest deal, but I am curious if I am missing something.

I loved the old profiler and relied on it heavily. I hope you guys know what's up with it, and any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Demanufakture
12-23-04, 01:38 PM
You are just confusing yourself. There is nothing wrong with the profiles in the release 65 drivers. They just work and behave differently. Go to the nzone.com forum in the forceware driver section and look at my sticky about this subject. If you cant figure out the profiles go to www.nvidia.com and look up the step by step instructions for setting profiles.

Acid Rain
12-23-04, 01:45 PM
Thank you. I figured as much. I'll check your sticky at n-zone.

(Addition) I still don't know why the profiler won't accept certain new profiles, but whatever.

It lumps the Far Cry exe with the Halo profile, not ideal. I can work with this, but it is a bit less organized and I am almost obsessed with organization and efficiency.

I actually was not confused in the slightest about the checkboxes, it says "Global driver settings" after application, so it was obviously just showing the global once you were done with your other profile.

However, it still liked to think that previous changes weren't saved, though they most certainly were.

Anyway, Thanks for the assistance! ;)

Demanufakture
12-23-04, 02:16 PM
No problem. (xmassign2 (cheers) (xmastree) (snowcool)

PS: I have farcry and never have problems with the profile. Or any other game profile for that matter. Its not a bug I assure you, it is a human error somewhere in the process.

crainger
12-23-04, 06:41 PM
It used to be flawless, but now (since 66.93) it doesn't allow you to create certain profiles (for Far Cry and Painkiller, for instance), and seems to not always work quite right for the games that you can profile.

It wont let you create them, coz they are already created in the nvapps.xml file in Windows/System32 to enable them to be visable with the rest, you need to edit their entry. What I do is make one for a game that isn't in nvapps.xml and then copy and paste its AA and AF setting to all the games I want to appear in the list, I save nvapps.xml and then go back into the profiler and tweak them further.

Its a pain in the arse and a tad messy, but it works for me.

I stumbled onto this fix after buying Warhammer40K:DoW, when if first installed it and made a profile, it worked, but with a driver update it wont let me create it. So I checked nvapps.xml and saw it was in there and just wasn't showing... This is where Nvidia puts its hidden per app tweaks, which is fine by me. I just wish they would allow me to add my extra setting.

You can also enable custom AA on games like Doom3 and Splinter Cell (AA now works fine with it using the lastest drivers) but editing their entries and removing the
<PROPERTY Label="prevent_cpl_af" Value="1" Itemtype="predefined"/>
entry

You will also see there is a hidden entry for Battlefield 2...

Acid Rain
12-23-04, 07:11 PM
Excellent. Thank you!

This works.

gstanford
12-23-04, 08:19 PM
Thank you. I figured as much. I'll check your sticky at n-zone.

(Addition) I still don't know why the profiler won't accept certain new profiles, but whatever.

It lumps the Far Cry exe with the Halo profile, not ideal. I can work with this, but it is a bit less organized and I am almost obsessed with organization and efficiency.

I actually was not confused in the slightest about the checkboxes, it says "Global driver settings" after application, so it was obviously just showing the global once you were done with your other profile.

However, it still liked to think that previous changes weren't saved, though they most certainly were.

Anyway, Thanks for the assistance! ;)

Applying the changes to the profiles does NOT permanently save them, it only puts your changes into effect until the next reboot.

To save the changes, you must click the "Modify Profile..." button and select the Save As... option (see attached picture).