PDA

View Full Version : XFX 6800GT PCI-E- hmmm.. this seems odd!

vläd
12-23-04, 09:23 PM
My two XFX cards arrived today for the SLI setup that I will be building over the Holiday.

After un-boxing the cards, I noticed this metal rail along the top of the cards. I am assuming that I will need to remove this, but the rather abbreviated manual that comes with the card doesn’t mention anything at all about the SLI capabilities or the SLI connector.
http://homepage.mac.com/vladimir/temp/xfx/XFX1.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/vladimir/temp/xfx/XFX2.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/vladimir/temp/xfx/XFX3.jpg

Just thought I run this past you guys about removing the rail.
(cheers)

MUYA
12-23-04, 09:38 PM
So u not happy with them? Give em to me :D

bwahahaha

Kev1
12-23-04, 09:41 PM
If possible, I'd call XFX and make sure that these cards are SLI compatible. I know they have the connector but that metal bar on top must be there for a reason. Seems strange for them to do that.

Congrats on your new system tho. Will be AWESOME once you get it running (xmastong) <----- Me green with envy (rudolf)

vläd
12-23-04, 09:41 PM
So u not happy with them? Give em to me :D

bwahahaha

Uh, nope!! Not that easy! (xmastong)
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something here!

Q
12-23-04, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't remove them unless they're causing problems, like touching each other when in SLI. That would be a BIG reason to remove them....I've never seen that sort of placement of a metal strip....maybe its there to distribute the weight of the heatsink. I think my Ultra would benefit from that. It looks like its bowing at times...

Again....I wouldn't remove them unless they touched. Good luck with those bad boys!

Q
12-23-04, 09:43 PM
God you guys are fast.....yeah....call them up. It would be kinda hard to hook it up when the connectors are blocked.

Anyone else notice all the 6's in the serial???

Kev1
12-23-04, 09:45 PM
I agree Quiltchford, but they completely block the SLI connector. If he wants to run SLI they must come off (xmasmile)

vläd
12-23-04, 09:46 PM
If possible, I'd call XFX and make sure that these cards are SLI compatible. I know they have the connector but that metal bar on top must be there for a reason. Seems strange for them to do that.

That's the reason I thought I'd ask the professionals here! (xmasgrin)

Anyway, according to this review, (http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=6800gtpcie&page=3) they are SLI compatible.

Kev1
12-23-04, 09:47 PM
Uh O :afraid: :scarey: :scarey: :eek:

vläd
12-23-04, 09:48 PM
Anyone else notice all the 6's in the serial???

I was wonderin how long it would take for you guys to catch my photoshop work! :alc:

Vagrant Zero
12-23-04, 09:52 PM
Don't the motherboards come with the sli connector/instructions?

Because in those pics I don't see the connector.

Edit: Bastard... (xmastong)

vläd
12-23-04, 10:01 PM
Don't the motherboards come with the sli connector/instructions?

Because in those pics I don't see the connector.
(xmastong)

Yah, the mobo does have that info, and I have edited the 2nd photo to highlight the SLI connector.

MustangSVT
12-23-04, 10:22 PM
Look to me like they put that metal bar there to protect the SLI connection part, just so it doesn't get touched or damaged by anything. Just my opinion.

Vagrant Zero
12-23-04, 10:29 PM
Yah, the mobo does have that info, and I have edited the 2nd photo to highlight the SLI connector.

What about that bride thingy...the one that's supposed to connect the two cards? That comes with the mobo also right?

Lore
12-23-04, 10:40 PM
Odd? How about..you kiss my ass buddy ? I 've been waiting on two cards like this for a month.
Just Kidding ;)

vläd
12-23-04, 10:54 PM
What about that bride thingy...the one that's supposed to connect the two cards? That comes with the mobo also right?

Yep, That's in the package with the ASUS A8N-SLI mobo.

K007
12-23-04, 11:15 PM
It cauld for safety or something...prob to stop the packing stuff getting caught in the little gap?

Or it cauld be that the card is not meant for sli...

Either way call them before removing.

Still waiting here in Australia for PCIe GT/Ultra and the ASUS Mobo.

vläd
12-27-04, 12:46 PM
Now this just figures! I finally get someone at XFX Tech Support to answer the phone, and try to explain the situation about the SLI connector being blocked. After about 10 minutes of them trying to tell me "The motherboard manufacturer will supply the SLI connector..." I am told that a senior engineer will have to return my call within the next two days.

Dang! A senior engineer is needed to remove two screws and a metal bracket? I majored in the wrong thing at college.
(snowlol)

It's a good thing I didn't wait for XFX to slap these in the 'puter. They seem to be working just fine, so far.

Lore
12-30-04, 06:47 AM
My cards came too and have the metal bracket, they all must have 'em to protect the 'SLI Bridge'. Anyways, it looks very easy to remove - a screw driver is all that's required here. Because the cards are so new they aren't even mentioned in the manual that comes with it, just the other products.
To the thread starter : Happy to hear they're working fine :)

msxyz
12-30-04, 08:22 AM
I've read somewhere in a review that the SLI connector is quite fragile and it bents easily if the cards are not aligned or fixed tightly to the case.

Probably those metal rails are meant to secure the SLI bridge once plugged ?!?

Lore
12-30-04, 10:23 AM
I think you might be right there. I was just looking at mine and i think you can put the metal brackets back in place once the SLI connecter is applied to both cards, for extra sucurity. There appears to be grooves on the underside of the brackets where the SLI connecter would sit. I think i'll re-apply mine once they're fitted.

vläd
12-30-04, 11:40 AM
Yeah, but that "groove" is only on one side of that bracket/rail thingy. Wouldn't it need to be on both sides?

I have gotten XFX tech support to look at the pics, they seem as confused as I was. Still waiting for an explanation from XFX of exactly why these are there. If it was for shipping protection, I would think that beefing the packaging up for that area would have been cheaper that these rails.

Lore
12-30-04, 12:45 PM
I haven't put my cards in the mobo yet, they're still boxed. If the brackets don't go back on i'll leave them off altogether, you'd know better than me if they were useless or not, seeing yours are installed already.
Let me know please what XFX have to say in this thread, thanks :) The bridge has access for the SLI Connector without the metal brackets so it's no biggie either way, but i am a little puzzled like you are, as to why they're on in the first place.

noko
12-30-04, 12:59 PM
I would cut slots in the brackets for the SLI connectors since they do look lide they add support to the card. Since I usually void any warranty usually within days of a new card except in this case what if they don't work the first time around?

vläd
12-31-04, 06:43 PM
OK, finally! Official word from XFX...

Subject: RE: HELP! SLI connector blocked?
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 5:02:52 PM EST

Dear customer:

Please remove the metal rail from the video card.

Sincerely,

XFX VGA Tech Support
(800)880-3225

In a seperate email.....

Subject: RE: XFXgraphics.com - Email Support Page
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:44:26 PM EST

Sorry I did not get back to you yesterday. I was home trying to shake a
cold. This metal bracket is to reinforce the board during shipping. It
can be safely removed to gain access to the SLI connectors.

--