PDA

View Full Version : NVDVD vs. Purevideo

Ruined
12-23-04, 10:29 PM
OK, so NVDVD's latest version is 2.55 from a couple months ago, the latest version of the Nvidia DVD Decoder was updated a week ago. For people who own NVDVD, when will NVDVD be upgraded to take advantage of the PureVideo filters, or did this already happen with upgrade to 67.03 driverset?

nmyeti
12-23-04, 11:56 PM
Chances are that it will not be updated. You should try out the NVIDIA nStant media program that came with the decoder. This is a great replacement to the Nvdvd program that you've been using. The combo of this program with the newest DVD decoder and the de-interlace mode set to "smart + pixel adaptive" makes for a really nice picture.

Look for the program here "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\ForceWare\nStant Media"

http://www.nvidia.com/object/decoder_faq.html

OTHER NVIDIA SOFTWARE

Will this product work with NVDVD and ForceWare Multimedia?
The new software will upgrade the decoders in ForceWare Multimedia 3.0 to access the new features in the NVIDIA DVD Decoder. The NVIDIA DVD Decoder will not upgrade NVDVD 2.0 as it was a separate application based upon an old architecture.

-Nathan

fivefeet8
12-24-04, 12:00 AM
I don't think NvDVD is going to see any more updates. It's been deleted off of the Nvidia site as well. There is no mention of it anymore.

ChrisRay
12-24-04, 12:09 AM
NvDVD is a discontinued product ((got that directly from Nvidia))

Vagrant Zero
12-24-04, 12:13 AM
So is nStant the replacement program? I'm rather fond of NVDVD, served me well for 2 years now.

ChrisRay
12-24-04, 12:14 AM
No idea if that was the plan, ((err to replace anyway) Just know NvDVD is a discontinued product.

rewt
12-24-04, 02:19 AM
I like the new decoder better. Even tho I don't even have a GeForce 6.

Now I use Media player 9 and the full ver of dvd decoder. All my DVDs play fine. Even the high definition films play pretty darn good. No thanks to my 5900. (give all credit to AMD 2500+ on that one)

BladeRnR
12-24-04, 03:01 AM
I feel really sorry for those that purchased NVDVD in good faith. I would expect support for a good deal of time since it's only a relatively young product. At the very least Nvidia should offer a serious discount on the new Decoder for those that bought NVDVD in good faith.

My 2 cents. Merry Xmas all (santa2)

RanCorX2
12-24-04, 03:02 AM
nstant doesn't have the all the aspect ratio settings nvdvd & forceware multimedia did, its missing "raw aspect".

crainger
12-24-04, 03:31 AM
nstant doesn't have the all the aspect ratio settings nvdvd & forceware multimedia did, its missing "raw aspect".

It has that, just use the decoder through WMP, right click on the little guy that appears down the bottom in the sys tray. Theres alot to play with in the decoder control panel. WMP is now a decent DVD app thanks to the Nvidia decoder... Besides I think nstant is really meant for the Media Centre Editions of Windows while XP users are encouraged to use WMP.

RanCorX2
12-24-04, 08:07 AM
strange when I went to load a dvd i got a blue screen in media player and no audio andin nstant it said unexpected dvd error.

ATI_Dude
12-24-04, 08:56 AM
OK, so NVDVD's latest version is 2.55 from a couple months ago, the latest version of the Nvidia DVD Decoder was updated a week ago. For people who own NVDVD, when will NVDVD be upgraded to take advantage of the PureVideo filters, or did this already happen with upgrade to 67.03 driverset?

NVDVD is a discontinued product. I recommend using the new decoder and Zoomplayer to play DVDs. Zoomplayer is compatible with most audio and video codecs and at the moment I've configured the program to use the Nvidia decoder and Intervideo's audio system so I can get the best picture quality and DD/DTS support.

RanCorX2
12-24-04, 10:25 AM
it sucks, finally got it working in overlay mode the picture jerks and in vmr it freezes wmp.

RanCorX2
12-24-04, 11:09 AM
never mind it was the 71.20 drivers, installed 67.03 and now its fine.

r2d2d3d4d5
12-24-04, 11:34 AM
I don't think NvDVD is going to see any more updates. It's been deleted off of the Nvidia site as well. There is no mention of it anymore.

It's under Legacy Products (http://www.nvidia.com/page/nvdvd.html).

ynnek
12-25-04, 05:49 AM
haven't tried the purevideo yet.. cause right now, on my HTPC, the NVDVD codec works great in accelerating mpeg-2 playback on my 5200.. hesitant to change anything on it.

got it a while ago for $5, OEM copy..

Cali3350
12-25-04, 09:52 PM
Im pretty sure PureVideo does work with NVDVD. Under properties you can set "smart" and all for deinterlacing and all. Anand also used NVDVD for his test too i think...

rewt
12-25-04, 10:12 PM
There must not be any noticable visual differences between NVDVD and the new decoder because people seem to think NVDVD has PureVideo. It doesn't. Only the new decoder has purevideo. NVDVD has an old decoder and is no longer supported nor is NVDVD compatible with the new decoder! Nvidia said so themselves.

The NVIDIA DVD Decoder will not upgrade NVDVD 2.0 as it was a separate application based upon an old architecture.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/decoder_faq.html

ChrisRay
12-26-04, 03:47 AM
NvDVD uses an older Nvidia optimised decoder. But it doesnt have some of the features of the newer one. NvDVD did have a nice VMR mode for Nvidia hardware.