PDA

View Full Version : VALVe must love the movie Equilibrium...

superklye
12-24-04, 01:00 AM
I just watched it again tonight, it was the first time I'd seen it in well over a year and subsequently forgotten much of the story and events in the movie. I can't believe how close the HL2 story is to the story in Equilibrium.

For those that haven't seen it, all human feeling is erradicated by the advent of this new drug Prozium which was created in the early 21st century after the third world war broke out. It was designed to stifle human emotion because, according to the creators of Prozium, human emotion in all shapes and forms is the cause of everything wrong with the world.

A patriarchal government is set up and the people are herded into a large city and are kept in check by an ominous, oppressing force of footsoldiers, some of which wear Combine-like masks. There are elite soldiers known as the Clerics that are just all-out badasses, but I don't think we ran into anything like that in HL2. But anyway, there are screens EVERYWHERE with "Father" talking to people, explaining how what was done was the right thing, blah blah blah...just like Breen.

I also don't think the people in Equilibrium are able to breed. One of the crimes is "being with a woman" and so, I think the children in the movie were made before the new laws were put into effect.

Anyone caught "feeling"/not taking their doses is raided and killed by this military force.

So let's see:

Gestapo-like military force everywhere at all times
Father-figure watching over the entire populace, making broadcasts constantly
People confined to a single city and monitored at all times
Drugs used to control the mind
No breeding
"For the greater good of mankind"

damn near COMPLETE rip-off.

I'm not complaining or saying this is bad...I just can't believe they were so blatant about it.

gokickrocks
12-24-04, 01:10 AM
the stories are somewhat similar, but then again im sure we can think of a movie that is able to parallel with most games

anzak
12-24-04, 01:16 AM
It sound similar to how the people were controlled but not the story it self.

So let's see:

Father-figure watching over the entire populace, making broadcasts constantly
No breeding

damn near COMPLETE rip-off.

In the Half Life story there are many cities (23 I believe).
The combine did not use drugs to control the humans.
Breen was saying that instincts are whats holding people back not emotion.

And since when are children "made"? (xmastong)

Vagrant Zero
12-24-04, 01:16 AM
As much as I hate Valve and would love to have yet another reason to stick it to them I'm going to have to disagree.

Earth is being occupied in HL2. Gestapo soliders are pretty much a staple of that. I mean you don't occupy a world with hugs and kisses.

Father-figure watching over the entire populace, making broadcasts constantly.

This is from George Orwell's 1982. Big Brother is watching you.

Not sure about this since HL2 was completely vague but I'd assume for there to be a City 17 there would have to be a City 1-16. Secondly, though we never find out exactly where City 17 is it looks very Eastern Europe, whereas Black Mesa is in the States. Was the entire US wiped off the face of the Earth or something? I'd consider it unlikely seeing as how the bulk of the Combine Forces seem human [again not sure if they are]. Doesn't seem like they're all that big bad if they only have one worm hole thingy connecting their world to ours and they rely on humans to oppress humans.

Welcome to DC comics, been here since...a very long time. I don't think mind controlling substances are an invention of Equilibrium. Secondly, those drugs primary purpose was to suppress human emotions, the mind control was in the society [schooles, architecture, vid caps, books, etc].

No breeding

This was defintely different. There WAS breeding in Equilibrium, just no sex [the passions of love/lust are forbidden like most volitale emotions]. In HL2 there was no breeding no because the Combine wanted to suppress human emotions, but so as to NOT have a million little Gordan Freemon's running around capping the Combine.

Eh...that's been used everywhere. He's trying to sell his speech. It's not like he's going to say follow me so I can **** you over nice and proper.

I think any similarities that exist do so becuase both HL2 and EB borrow heavily from 1982. Same source material.

P.S. Christian Bale is the man...The Batman. Can't wait for it, it'll be the first GOOD Batman movie ever.

CaptNKILL
12-24-04, 01:17 AM
the stories are somewhat similar, but then again im sure we can think of a movie that is able to parallel with most games
Yeah I agree. But the similarities are there. Im hoping to get that movie on DVD for christmas BTW... its soooo awesome :D

superklye
12-24-04, 01:35 AM
It sound similar to how the people were controlled but not the story it self.
The general story is a government, through use of military power, has taken control of an entire populace.

In the Half Life story there are many cities (23 I believe).
Breen was saying that instincts are whats holding people back not emotion.
I didn't say it was exactly the same, it said very similar. And the Combine didn't use drugs? There are a few people that mention them putting "something in the water" that makes them forget about how life used to be...

And since when are children "made"? (xmastong)
What else are they? Built? Constructed? Teleported?

superklye
12-24-04, 01:36 AM
I think any similarities that exist do so becuase both HL2 and EB borrow heavily from 1982. Same source material.
Yeah, I suppose you're right. It just seemed TOO similar though. meh.

P.S. Christian Bale is the man...The Batman. Can't wait for it, it'll be the first GOOD Batman movie ever.
heh..come on, the first one, with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson, was fantastic!

PSYCHODAD
12-24-04, 02:03 AM
[QUOTE=P.S. Christian Bale is the man...The Batman. Can't wait for it, it'll be the first GOOD Batman movie ever.[/QUOTE]

If your interested in Batman you might want to check out "Grayson" at the Untamed Cinema website. Many of you may have seen this already as it has been out for awhile. If you haven't seen it, have a look because it is awesome. (rudolf)

Edge
12-24-04, 02:51 AM
If you listen to the guy in the trainstation, he mentions that the Combine put drugs in the water to make people forget things.

anzak
12-24-04, 02:58 AM
If you listen to the guy in the trainstation, he mentions that the Combine put drugs in the water to make people forget things.
I assumed he was crazy since nothing else was mentioned about drugs being used to control the humans.

What else are they? Built? Constructed? Teleported?
I was thinking along the lines of born?

Lfctony
12-24-04, 04:51 AM
George Orwell's book is called 1984. :) Also, as mentioned in Raising the Bar, children are indeed manufactured in HL2, the game was to include the given location but was later cut. So they replaced it with only "no breeding at all", so that the pop remained small etc.

superklye
12-24-04, 08:40 AM
I was thinking along the lines of born?
They just magically happen? One day you wake up and BAM! baby is born? I was under the impression babies were MADE when a man and woman had sex, etc.

Morrow
12-24-04, 09:59 AM
yup, it's true that some parts of HL2's story have been copied from Equilibrium but then again Equilibrium copied the same major parts from the 30 year old movie "THX 1138" (drugs to keep the society quited, no sex, society is controlled by a "greater" mind, big brother watching all the time and so on).

Of course "THX 1138" also borrowed many elements from the novels "Brave New World" and "1984" which again inspired HL2 noticeably (e.g.: Lemons and oranges pictures found in HL2).

Bottomline, I'm not really sure who copied from who... :)

Bad_Boy
12-24-04, 10:16 AM
equilibrium > hl2. (yes i know one is a game and one is a movie, but if i had to pick which one to have it would be equilbrium)

sue me. :\
too bad equlibrium didnt get the hype it deserved.

Vagrant Zero
12-24-04, 04:54 PM
George Orwell's book is called 1984. :) Also, as mentioned in Raising the Bar, children are indeed manufactured in HL2, the game was to include the given location but was later cut. So they replaced it with only "no breeding at all", so that the pop remained small etc.

OMG....

Can't believe I ****ed that up. Stupid Iron Maiden and their Number of the Beast.

rflair
01-02-05, 09:58 AM
Yup it made me think of 1984 also, the movie for 1984 while OK did no justice to the book. If you haven't read 1984 do it, then you'll see where all these other movies borrowed from.

rflair

zoomy942
01-03-05, 10:37 PM
i love that movie.. and in reference to half life 2..

i dont remember anything in half life 2 telling me that if i mastered the gun katta, then i can increase my killing efficiency by 63%! :):) i love that d*mn movie so much.

Raptorman
01-03-05, 10:58 PM
Sounds like it may also borrow some parts from "The Philadelphia Experiment 2" :D. There people are suppressed by the Nazi's and controlled completely in gigantic cities. Though it doesn't borrow from that as much as 1984, or Equilibrium. Though I've not been able to play with all the cool graphics it works on my laptop (stupid Steam program) and I like the story of HL2 so far.

Iuris
01-04-05, 03:16 AM
OK, for the record:

Equilibrium is equal parts:
-"Brave new world": official drug programme,...
-"1984": totalitarian control, thought crime (sense offence), fictional leader figure, preventive loyalist infiltration into resistance movements, propaganda emissions...
-"Fahrenheit 451" (that's the original one, BTW): burning of books/art, general burning theme, TV watching...
-Hong kong Gun-fu (the white parade uniform is "homage" to Bruce Lee's mourning suit,...)...

These are the intellectual classics that are the most likely to have inspired Equilibrium. They are the basics, techers use them in philosophy classes as illustrations. Thus, they "contaminate" the thought processes of the general population, so that originality is hard to come by.