PDA

View Full Version : Asus v9999gt BSOD

Tha_Enclave
12-24-04, 09:14 PM
Hey, I just bought an ASUS V9999GT 6800 and ran into a huge problem with 3dmark05.

I isolated the problem to the single-texture fillrate test. If I choose to run the test three times, it runs fine the first time, and then shows artifacts the second time. The test locks up either the second or third time as well. If I hold ESC, I can get out of the test, but if I wait too long I get a BSOD about nv4_disp.

I've tried the 67.03 and 66.93 drivers, and both had the exact same result. This problem occurs 100% of the time.

The card is not OC'd (stock 350/700).

I have a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (AMD 3200+ Processor) with Corsair RAM.

Any one know wat is going on?

Thanks in Advance,
Tha_Enclave

keith33
12-24-04, 09:49 PM
Looks like the card is factory defected. Time for an RMA.

Salamandar
12-24-04, 09:54 PM
Hey, I just bought an ASUS V9999GT 6800 and ran into a huge problem with 3dmark05.

I isolated the problem to the single-texture fillrate test. If I choose to run the test three times, it runs fine the first time, and then shows artifacts the second time. The test locks up either the second or third time as well. If I hold ESC, I can get out of the test, but if I wait too long I get a BSOD about nv4_disp.

I've tried the 67.03 and 66.93 drivers, and both had the exact same result. This problem occurs 100% of the time.

The card is not OC'd (stock 350/700).

I have a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (AMD 3200+ Processor) with Corsair RAM.

Any one know wat is going on?

Thanks in Advance,
Tha_Enclave

First of all welcome to the forums (santa2)
Could you please monitor the GPU temps. and report them to us.
I suspect an overheating.
Run the test the first time and check the temps, then again and again.
Good luck.
(xmassign2

Tha_Enclave
12-24-04, 11:13 PM
lol glad to be part of the community (finally :P)

I ran the fillrate test consecutively and checked the temperatures in between runs.
Here's what I found:

IDLE
-GPU: 44C
-RAM: 41C

TEST 1
-GPU: 49C
-RAM: 42C

TEST 2
-GPU: 49C
-RAM: 45C
-Artifacts
-Lockup

TEST 3
-GPU: 51C
-RAM: 45C
-Artifacts

TEST 4
-Hard Lockup / BSOD

REBOOT/IDLE
-GPU: 46C
-RAM: 43C

TEST 5
-GPU: 51C
-RAM: 44C

TEST 6
-GPU: 50C
-RAM: 46C
-Artifacts
-Lockup

TEST 7
-Hard Lockup / BSOD

This was run using the WHQL 66.93 drivers. The temperature seems pretty low to be overheating, and all the other tests (which raise the GPU temperature slightly higher than the temperature reached in this test) seem to work perfectly fine.

Regards,
Tha_Enclave

keith33
12-24-04, 11:55 PM
I'm not sure about GT cores, but my Ultra core is 53 degrees at Idle and around 68 at load, and it runs perfectly (3dmark infinite times), so I doubt heat is the reason. Could a simple BIOS update do the trick? Does ASUS have any released?

Eliminator
12-25-04, 09:49 AM
i have the same setup as you and my GT is freezing and sometimes after freezing it gives me a BSOD with nv4_disp.dll.... the card however worked perfect on my old athlon xp system

Tha_Enclave
12-25-04, 10:44 AM
I did some research on this and the results aren't too good. :(

This problem appears to be worst with AMD64 & NF3 Boards.

Apparantly this was a fix for someone:
- Disable Fast Writes
- Set AGP 3.0 speed to 4x8x instead of Auto
- Set AGP aperture size to 512MB

It didn't work for me. :(

lol, I wish I had the ASUS Ultra instead of the GT. It had the same problem but that was due to the 2D clock being set at a lower timing than 3D.

Some people have also reported that this problem was solved by buying a better PSU. But come on, a thermaltake 480W is not enough? Thats ridiculous.

Since there's no BIOS updates and I'm not going to start changing any clock speeds just yet, it looks like I'm stuck.

Regards,
Tha_Enclave

Eliminator
12-25-04, 11:00 AM
im gona try those things listed above... i already ran everythin stock before and it still does it... gota find some updated 128mb 6800GT bios.... and since asus makes the only one.... i guess were outa luck....

Eliminator
12-25-04, 11:18 AM
ok i just gave those things a try..... didnt do crap

bkswaney
12-25-04, 11:24 AM
It's things like this that makes me think
I'm going back with an Intel system again.

To many bugs with AMD rigs right now.

KickAssCop
12-25-04, 11:51 AM
It's things like this that makes me think
I'm going back with an Intel system again.

To many bugs with AMD rigs right now.
You already have an intel system..

Tha_Enclave
12-25-04, 01:33 PM
Slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

I reformatted and didn't put on SP2 this time (just running SP1).

Flashed my mobo BIOS too.

This didn't change much. Now that I've put on the WHQL + Asus Enhanced drivers, there has been somewhat of a change. I've managed to get the test to run almost perfectly 3 times in a row. There were some minor artifacts on the third run.

I tried to run a set of three again right after, and then it locked up on the third run as usual. Bleh.

Eliminator
12-25-04, 01:40 PM
i found an updated 6800ultra bios from evga's site but i dono if its gona work with our GT since we have a 128mb card.... i can edit the clocks for the bios and such but not the memory size

EDIT: i tried to flash with a asus 6800 ultra and it wouldnt let me since diferent board ids aparently

Tha_Enclave
12-25-04, 05:33 PM
lol I gave up with 3dmark05 and just played HL2 and NFSU2 for like 3 hours...

..not a single problem. I just hope this problem doesn't come up anywhere else.

T-1000
01-25-05, 06:48 AM
lol I gave up with 3dmark05 and just played HL2 and NFSU2 for like 3 hours...

..not a single problem. I just hope this problem doesn't come up anywhere else.
it will.... i have the same problem with my Chaintech AA6800 card and the problem comes to Painkiller,Worior within,Colin Mcrae 2005,Chrome and maybe in lots of other games
i will change my card to a ASUSS 9999GT\TD 128 becouse its the most powerfull for its price range:) for price simular to a normal 6800NU u get performace for something betwen 6800 and 6800GT :) about 3800points in 3d mark 2005:D the NU verion gets something like 3200:)