PDA

View Full Version : Recent problems with 6800gt...

hypertek
12-25-04, 05:13 AM
For some reason, its like my system is all good. Then Ill power down like usual, and boot up into windows, but its like without the Nvidia drivers loaded up! I would go to display properties and the menu is generic (no nvidia tabs or features). Then Control panal device manager would show the video card with the "!", but discription would say "Device can not start".

Anyone else experience this? This is like the 3rd time it happened. I wonder if its from flashing the bios back and forth? But I have been running the stock bios for a while even before this happened.

I guess Ill try flashing my bios to stock with nvflash 4.42 and 5.06 or whatever, and if that doesnt help, Ill try driver cleaner and reinstall a different set of drivers since im currently running extreme g 67.02.

Pantherman
12-29-04, 01:17 AM
That's a new one. Recheck all your cables and make sure everything is connected properly. You may want to reseat the card as well. You may be having a problem with your AGP drivers or slot.

hypertek
12-29-04, 04:31 AM
yah it just happened again. I uninstalled everything, ran driver cleaner. reseated card and checked plugs. Hopefully it wont do it again.

mustrum
12-29-04, 05:36 AM
I'd reinstall windows before i flash back and forth.

hypertek
12-29-04, 01:05 PM
just did it again.. sucks... I just might have to do that.. I wonder if HL2 coulda been responsible for any file corruption tho, cuz this problem only started happening when Valve released some patches or something and the game would reboot the system when i try to exit, before it was perfect.

hypertek
01-26-05, 11:24 PM
well.. after reinstalling windows (was too lazy to reformat from scratch, so I would install over windows) trying different drivers and different bios on the card.. i have come to the conclusion taht the problem was coming from Stardock programs (ala Windowblinds and Logon studio).. I had uninstalled them, thought "hey the problem is gone!!" then thought newer versions would be ok, and "dammm, its back!!" .. then I took em off, now no more problem so far. I guess its becuase those programs change things in the way windows boots up.

However, I tried putting in my old Geforce 3 ti200 to see if it was the case, and this problem didnt happen.. so maybe its with nv40s and those programs?

oh well, just no more eye candy desktop.. anyone know of any other programs that make it look nice?

saturnotaku
01-26-05, 11:34 PM
Download a hacked uxtheme.dll file that matches the version of Windows you're running, replace all instances of the file in your Windows directory with the hacked version and head over to www.themexp.org and download what you like. Be careful, though, some of the downloads have adware in them.

hypertek
01-26-05, 11:54 PM
so installing a modified uxtheme.dll file, I can put this stuff back on and be alright?

hypertek
01-27-05, 12:01 AM
nvm... so sp2 was kinda designed so u couldnt use third party software.. ok thanks for the headsup!!

hypertek
02-11-05, 02:36 PM
ugh this sucks... i still got the problem, i thought it was those skinning programs but I still get the problem... I been limping around for a while now, sometimes it boots fine, sometimes it doesnt... I dont want to have to reformat cuz i hate doing that... Is there some hardware settings (like IRQ s and chit) that I should set up? I might have to call BFG on this??