PDA

View Full Version : New TV or Tv Tuner ?

faraday
12-25-04, 09:39 AM
Hi, I just got an Xbox and I'd like to know if it would be better to get a tv tuner box like this one:

http://www.avermedia.com/cgi-bin/products_tvtunerbox_avertvbox9.asp

and plug the xbox with S-video to my Sony 17 inch HX73 LCD.

Or should I buy a TV , altough I cant spend more than 500 EUR on it.

Anyone has any experience using this sort of tuner box and the xbox to plug in to a LCD?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

r2d2d3d4d5
12-25-04, 11:43 AM
If your LCD is attached to your PC then you might be better off with a cheap PCI TV Tuner card with S-Video in, that TV box probably does a lot more than you need anyway. If you graphics card has VIVO that might do the trick.

I guess it depends on how much space you have. It might be more convenient to leave the LCD monitor free for PC stuff and have a spare TV for general TV viewing but you'll need more room...

FierceDeityLink
12-25-04, 11:46 AM
If you just want to use the Xbox, get an X2VGA from www.x2vga.com. I've tried it on my cheap 15" LCD and it worked, as well as my 22" CRT.

EDIT: $65 USD = 48 EUR

faraday
12-27-04, 11:12 AM
x2vga only works with NTSC , I'm from europe so I use PAL.

I bought the tv box but am returning it, it doesn't work well with the Xbox (B&W output ), the tv quality wasnt that great, and when using the lcd for the pc I would get ghosting due to the double VGA connection. (The graphics card connects to the tv box, the tv box connects to the LCD).

Conclusion, it sucks.

Sazar
12-27-04, 11:40 AM
I use my xbox with my tv tuner... it works just fine...

picture quality is obviously a little different (mainly coz of the resolution I run my monitor at) but it works just fine for me if you sit the same distance away as with a television...

if you sit right up next to the screen its a tiny bit blurrier...

FierceDeityLink
12-27-04, 12:23 PM
x2vga only works with NTSC , I'm from europe so I use PAL.
That's interesting because I've played PAL games on my Xbox through the X2VGA. I believe the Xbox has it's region set in hardware, and all of the games would technically work on other consoles given the right motivation.
(snowlol)

GamerGuyX
12-27-04, 12:38 PM
That's interesting because I've played PAL games on my Xbox through the X2VGA. I believe the Xbox has it's region set in hardware, and all of the games would technically work on other consoles given the right motivation.
(snowlol)

Yes its true that PAL Xbox's (or any other XBOX from any other region other than NTSC) does not support progressive scan. It can be changed though to NTSC (through modding) which will enable progressive scan. If you don't do that then the X2VGA will not work for his XBOX...