PDA

View Full Version : SLI is FAST but getting problems.

Pages : [1] 2 3

MrGood
12-26-04, 03:09 PM
Hi, basically I bought 2 MSI 6800 GT's 256mb with SLI, and the asus k8n-sli board.

SLI is working to some extent.

I have tested 3 games.

1. Call of Duty
2. Halflife 2
3. Doom 3

they all work, but halflife 2 and doom 3 have problems with the way it displays things. for example in hl2 the menu flickers horizontally in places, as so with doom 3 buttons. and i get artifacts such as in hl2 looking into lights reveals purple spots and so on. I am using the latest non-beta drivers on nvidia site. Oh and for the record, it doesnt do it with 1 card disabled.

COD has no problems that i know of.

anyone that knows a remedy or is experiencing the same problems please reply.

AthlonXP1800
12-26-04, 03:12 PM
Get the latest BIOS for your motherboard, it will fix SLI problems.

MrGood
12-26-04, 03:41 PM
is that known to fix my problem?

shinrai
12-26-04, 03:56 PM
Since there is a specific SLI chipset on the motherboard there's a goos chance you ned to update the bios to fix the problem.

BladeRunner
12-26-04, 07:04 PM
I've been running my SLI for a few days now it's been on for 15 hours today running doom 3 in SLI non stop, (when I've not been playing, it's just been left in the game). So far I've not had one graphical issue, lockup, crash at all.

My Asus A8n came with Bios 1002, I'm running everything stock atm except sys ram voltage, and FX53 is now @ 2500mhz, (12.5 multi), 2x consecutive Leadtek 6800 GTs, 36gig 10k raptors, 1gb crucial Balistix, Enermax 600watt.
win xp sp2, 66.93's

I've also ran through all the 3dmks several times and most of the nvidia demos, same... so far no issues.

Have you tried each card separately under stress in single mode to make sure one isn't causing this at all?

qballshalls2002
12-26-04, 10:07 PM
Hi, basically I bought 2 MSI 6800 GT's 256mb with SLI, and the asus k8n-sli board.

I have tested 3 games.

1. Call of Duty
2. Halflife 2
3. Doom 3

they all work, but halflife 2 and doom 3 have problems with the way it displays things. for example in hl2 the menu flickers horizontally in places, as so with doom 3 buttons. and i get artifacts such as in hl2 looking into lights reveals purple spots and so on. I am using the latest non-beta drivers on nvidia site. Oh and for the record, it doesnt do it with 1 card disabled.

This is why I'm waiting to see when Sli performs solid as a single card gpu board. Ive came along ways with BSODs. I havent had a BSOD since my p3 500 with geforce2 64mb system. Thats alot of money to have waisted down the drain if it doesnt work correctly. ALLOT OF MONEY!@!@ Damn! :eek:

Hope everything goes well. Hoepfully you kept your reciepts!

Raptorman
12-26-04, 10:23 PM

I have tested 3 games.

1. Call of Duty
2. Halflife 2
3. Doom 3

I hate you, lol. I wish I had the cash for a 6800Ultra SLI setup.

K007
12-26-04, 10:33 PM
I wish Australia gets the god dam parts...still no MOBO!

MrGood
12-27-04, 04:33 AM
it still doesnt work with a bios update. AS i think about it, SLI isn't that great, its cheaper to just buy a high end card whenever you need it. lets say, if i bought 1 6800 gt now, its capable of running everything for the next 5 months or so maxed out. By then, i can get a new card with the same amount of money which will run the next load of games for about 5 months. and so on. Rather than pay double, in longer sucessions.

Scott@Bjorn3D
12-27-04, 04:43 AM
I had all kinds of problems with the 69xx drivers off of NVIDIA's driver page. I eneded up using the 71.20 from Guru3D and the only problem I have had so far is in 3DMark05 with flashing white dots in game 1 and some in game 2.

Marcos
12-27-04, 02:53 PM
id be fekkin pissed if i shelled out 800$ for a sli and it didnt work

Decimator
12-27-04, 03:02 PM
I've been running my SLI for a few days now it's been on for 15 hours today running doom 3 in SLI non stop, (when I've not been playing, it's just been left in the game). So far I've not had one graphical issue, lockup, crash at all.

How does Doom 3's SLI performance compare to that of a single 6800? and how is it on other games like Far Cry? (eg the carrier level) has it rasied the minimum fps in those kind of games?

Yonkers
12-27-04, 03:18 PM
I know this post is after the fact but a good consumer rule to follow is never buy the first generation of a new product line. Of course there are exceptions to this rule but it is much safer to wait for the second generation when the bugs are out of the product.

BladeRunner
12-27-04, 04:40 PM
It's a little disappointing people slagging it off in this post when we haven't had any real feedback on what's been attempted to solve MrGood's issues or what's causing them. Full specs would be helpful including PSU and temperatures. Also no response to this question either? "Have you tried each card separately under stress in single mode to make sure one isn't causing this at all?"

Mines been running faultlessly so far. The only issues I had were with installation and nothing specific to the A8n or SLI. More details in this Topic (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42749).

Decimator

Check out the topic link above for some Doom3 details, (page4), rather than go into it here, not installed FarCry yet

Decimator
12-27-04, 05:01 PM
Cheers. Will do!

MrGood
12-28-04, 04:23 AM
Ive tried alot of things to try and get it to work, My mind it's to do with the drivers. Both cards work standalone, when i incorporate sli into the picture we get the problems. Ive tried many versions of the drivers including 70.00 series from guru 3d and still get a few issues. The concept of the idea is good, but it seems many people have had trouble getting it to work. Heat possibly could be an issue, even some sorta interference, but both cards operate to an average degree. (45-70 degrees)

Oh and if you use the software profiles in the drivers, and set it to hl2. It actually turns one card off anyhow lol. it runs at only 75fps rather than 130 or so. Obviously the drivers think it isnt compatible either :p

BladeRunner
12-28-04, 07:48 AM
Ive tried alot of things to try and get it to work, My mind it's to do with the drivers. Both cards work standalone, when i incorporate sli into the picture we get the problems. Ive tried many versions of the drivers including 70.00 series from guru 3d and still get a few issues. The concept of the idea is good, but it seems many people have had trouble getting it to work. Heat possibly could be an issue, even some sorta interference, but both cards operate to an average degree. (45-70 degrees)

Oh and if you use the software profiles in the drivers, and set it to hl2. It actually turns one card off anyhow lol. it runs at only 75fps rather than 130 or so. Obviously the drivers think it isnt compatible either :p

Well It's hard to solve any issues as a third party via a forum, and I don't doubt you and others have problems. All I can do is offer up the facts of my experiance so far. SLI is working 100% perfect, these games I've tried have worked perfectly in SLI, with no graphical errors.

Doom3. (AFR)
Project IGI2 (SFR)
Deus EX IW (SFR)

Early days I know but I was expecting more issues myself...

system:-

Asus A8n-sli (stock other than NB sink redone with AS5)
Fx-53 @ FX54? (2500 12.5X200)
Crucial Ballistix 3200 1gb (2x512) (2.75v)
Leadtek 6800 GT (x2, consecutive) (stock)
wd raptor 10k 36gb (x2) raid 0
Enermax noisetaker 600watt
XP sp2, 66.93's

I have a large amount of cooling going on too, with 5 case fans two of which are 92mm, and the NB sink mod, (standard thermal pad & paste was poor). Both my 6800 GT cards are consecutive, shouldn't make a difference but it can't hurt right????

Maybe try an extra case fan dirceted at the NB sink as it's working far harder when SLI is enabled. Is your PSU up to it? what make / spec?. There are lots of things to try. I know it's annoying when you can't get things to go right, but simply blaming the SLI tech is flawed IMHO.

rombat
12-28-04, 10:06 AM
I agree with BladeRunner, my sli setup is working great also. Make sure you have plenty of air flowing through your case. I have 2 120mm fans and 3 80mm fans and one crossflow fan keeping my system cool. Another area you can check is your bios for your cards, make sure they have the newiest bios that supports sli. Like some reviewers who first got sli cards had problems becuase they did not have the newiest bios for their video cards. The next area to check is your powersupply, is it supplying enough clean power to your cards, hope these helps you pinpoint the problem.

sacha30
12-28-04, 11:42 AM

I have tested 3 games.

1. Call of Duty
2. Halflife 2
3. Doom 3

i also had exactly the same problem as you on my sli system.
I completely uninstalled my display drivers then reinstalled them and now it works great. (xmasgrin)

hope this helps
btw im using 66.93

rombat
12-29-04, 12:53 AM
Ok guys this might be old news but just wanted to tell you there is a new beta bios on Asus website, version number 1003.004 released on the 24th of this month (wish they tell us what these beta bios fixes)!

rohit
12-29-04, 05:06 AM
i read on a no. of sites, which reviewd SLi, that the VIDEO CARD'S should have the same bios, for SLi to function properly.
plz check the video cards bios, each cards.
also if possible fresh install windows, and use the 66.xx drivers, the whql certified ones.

Last Starfighte
12-29-04, 01:14 PM
same problem here:

http://www.alexv.dial.pipex.com/farcry.jpg

I've been through the mill on this one, to no avail, see thread:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1474325&enterthread=y

also see article:

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=a8nsli&page=5

the cards I got are the following:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=154668

Last Starfighte
12-29-04, 01:16 PM
oh btw, I found that running the games in windowed mode there was no corruption.

BladeRunner
12-29-04, 01:33 PM
Last Starfighter

Have you ruled out cooling? I only say this as both Myself and rombat have gone OTT on the case cooling a neither of us have had any graphical issues like you describe. I note in the anandtech article they mentioned the NB sink was running very hot. This chip would be doing more work and as such getting hotter in SLI fullscreen mode as will the cards, and just about everything else. With the crappy thermal pad removed and as5 along with another fan directed at it I still get 45C on the sink when benching...

off topic your user name from the film? I remember that film use state of the art CGI for the space craft scenes, was awesome at the time but I think our PC's are at that level or better now

Last Starfighte
12-29-04, 02:02 PM
Last Starfighter

Have you ruled out cooling? I only say this as both Myself and rombat have gone OTT on the case cooling a neither of us have had any graphical issues like you describe. I note in the anandtech article they mentioned the NB sink was running very hot. This chip would be doing more work and as such getting hotter in SLI fullscreen mode as will the cards, and just about everything else. With the crappy thermal pad removed and as5 along with another fan directed at it I still get 45C on the sink when benching...

off topic your user name from the film? I remember that film use state of the art CGI for the space craft scenes, was awesome at the time but I think our PC's are at that level or better now

I did wonder if cooling could be an issue, GPU 1 runs at 75C idle and GPU 2 runs @ 63C Idle 85/69 under load.

I do have quite good case cooling - Thermaltake one with 8 or so case cooling fans - all set at full.