PDA

View Full Version : Video corruption problems

galapogos
12-26-04, 10:59 PM
Hi,
I brought my HDD and 6800GT graphics card from my campus PC to my home PC to use for the holidays, but I've been getting weird video corruption when I run it on my home PC, which is a P4 2.8C on an Abit IS7-E motherboard, 1GB PC3200 Kingston ValueRam(BH5 chips) and an Enermax EG465P-VE 431W PSU

Everything is at stock settings, and the video corruption(weird colored pixels showing up randomly all over the screen in blocks and patterns) happens the moment the PC is turned on, so it's not a Windows thing.

The funny thing is that the 6800GT works on my dad's lousier system with an AXP 1800+, 512MB memory and a Toppower 320W PSU, so that pretty much rules out power problems, considering I unplugged all fans and optical drives on my system and was still getting the problems.

Also, I've tried his GF4MX440 on my system and it works perfectly too, so it's not an AGP slot/motherboard problem.

Since they don't seem to be any of the above problems(at least, the symptoms don't support it) I'm stumped as to what exactly the problem is, and how I'd be able to fix it. Are there any incompatibility problems with the 6800GT and the Abit IS7-E or something else in my system?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

inSpirAcy
12-27-04, 06:07 AM
You may have a different problem from me, but I experienced similar corruption issues (the BIOS screen was almost unreadable) when I first got my 6800GT up and running.

The cause turned out to be an unused (insulated) power connector resting too near the graphics card. The 6800s seem to be very sensitive to interference (as I mentioned in another post, where interference from a nearby TV card was causing instability in my system) so make sure you've tied up all unused cables well away from the card with cable ties.

dougcure
12-27-04, 01:02 PM
I am having the same issue. I bought a BFG 6800 Ultra OC from outpost.com and it had these same exact symptoms when I put it in my computer. I called BFG tech support and they determined it was just bad memory modules on the card. So, I got a replace from Outpost.com and just got it in. It is exhibiting the same problems. These problems are white, green, red, and yellow pixels scattered across the screen. When I scroll on a web page it distorts all the text and I have to refresh before I can read it. Also, playing any game causes the pixels to show up in greater amounts and the screen flickers. My monitor also blinks from time to time. Is it possible I just got two bad cards in a row?

My setup is:
GA-8INXP motherboard
3.06 P4 533 FSB
1 Gig Corsair Twinx 400 Mhz DDR
BFG Tech 6800 Ultra OC

I have tried:
Disabling Fast Writes with Rivatuner (Does Riva Tuner work correctly with the newest Forceware??)
Disabling Side Band Addressing with Rivatuner
Changing to 4x in BIOS
Changing AGP Aperature to 256, 128, 64
Reinstalling Drivers
Put in a brand new Antec 550 W Power Supply

And this has not fixed the problem. So, now I am not sure what to do.

Doug

galapogos
12-27-04, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I've tried 2-3 different power molex connectors, but the problem remained, so I doubt it's a problem with the cables.

Also, the card works perfectly on my dad's PC, so I think the card itself is fine.

Here's a screenshot (http://goi.carnasaur.com/images/temp/corruption.png) of the corruption in Windows XP, sometimes it's other colors, but the corruption pattern is similar.

So far nobody's been able to deduce what's wrong with it. dougcure does your corruption look the same? Other than the P4 and 6800GT card, our systems are fairly different. Is your motherboard based on the i845PE or i865/875 series?

dougcure
12-27-04, 09:46 PM
Our corruption looks different. Mine is just pixels scattered randomly across the screen. Not in any real pattern and not a whole lot. Maybe 100 total on average at a time. It gets much worse when I load any game or do any video. We may be talking in the thousands of pixels here. I guess it would best be described as artifacting.

My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-8INXP with the Intel E7205 chipset. I have decided to send both cards back and give up. My AIW 9800 Pro is running perfectly right now at 8x on this motherboard. Oh well, so much for upgrading my video card.

Doug

mufa
12-29-04, 11:07 AM
speaking about video corruption, what do you think about this image I got on 3dmark03 ? My computer is gigabyte k8ns, amd 64 3200+, thermaltake 480 purepower, BFG 6800 Ultra OC.

Greg
01-25-05, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I've tried 2-3 different power molex connectors, but the problem remained, so I doubt it's a problem with the cables.

Also, the card works perfectly on my dad's PC, so I think the card itself is fine.

Here's a screenshot (http://goi.carnasaur.com/images/temp/corruption.png) of the corruption in Windows XP, sometimes it's other colors, but the corruption pattern is similar.

So far nobody's been able to deduce what's wrong with it. dougcure does your corruption look the same? Other than the P4 and 6800GT card, our systems are fairly different. Is your motherboard based on the i845PE or i865/875 series?

Hey galapogos, I seem to have a graphics corruption problem that looks the same as yours. Occurs sometimes and stays until I restart the computer. Did you ever fix this problem or find out more?

galapogos
01-25-05, 06:57 PM
Unfortunately I did not. For the duration of my stay I had to run the system with a GF4MX440 and then a Radeon 9550, both of which work perfectly. Now I'm back in colllege and the 6800GT is once again installed in my campus PC, working perfectly too. There just seems to be some kinda weird compatibility problems with the 6800GT and my home PC.