PDA

View Full Version : I will never buy Kingston again

Pages : [1] 2

superklye
12-27-04, 02:30 AM
So I got a stick of 512MB PC3200 CAS 3 ValuRAM for Christmas. I got back to my place on campus tonight and immediately installed the RAM into my system. It posted fine and got to Windows with no problem. I quickly fired up Prime95 to test stability and guess what? After less than a minute, the program execution halts after a faulty result was given.

My previous 2x256 is rock solid and is also an RMA from them for the same kit that had the same problem as the current 512 stick. This is simply unacceptable. Assuming the RMA is functional, this will be 2/4 Kingston products that needed to be RMAed. I just cannot accept that. They obviously do NOT test their RAM thoroughly and I cannot trust them anymore. Any and all future business will be through OCZ, Crucial or Corsair from this moment forward.

Man, this pisses me off so much!

rewt
12-27-04, 02:44 AM
So I got a stick of 512MB PC3200 CAS 3 ValuRAM for Christmas. I got back to my place on campus tonight and immediately installed the RAM into my system. It posted fine and got to Windows with no problem. I quickly fired up Prime95 to test stability and guess what? After less than a minute, the program execution halts after a faulty result was given.

My previous 2x256 is rock solid and is also an RMA from them for the same kit that had the same problem as the current 512 stick. This is simply unacceptable. Assuming the RMA is functional, this will be 2/4 Kingston products that needed to be RMAed. I just cannot accept that. They obviously do NOT test their RAM thoroughly and I cannot trust them anymore. Any and all future business will be through OCZ, Crucial or Corsair from this moment forward.

Man, this pisses me off so much!

Hmm. I got 2 sticks of KV RAM too, and can run Prime95 for hours without errors. And thats at CAS 2. Its rated CAS 3 but it works fine at CAS 2 even when overclocked by 66 Mhz. Sorry bout your luck :(

superklye
12-27-04, 02:50 AM
Hmm. I got 2 sticks of KV RAM too, and can run Prime95 for hours without errors. And thats at CAS 2. Its rated CAS 3 but it works fine at CAS 2 even when overclocked by 66 Mhz. Sorry bout your luck :(
It's not your fault, but thanks for the concern. It's just so frustrating...It wouldn't be near as bad if it was the first time, but as I said: it's not.

At least they let me cross-ship and get 2nd Day FedEx. Still though. Never again.

rewt
12-27-04, 03:25 AM
Yeah I would probably not buy it again either. I like Corsair XMS memory the best but it is quite a bit more expensive than Kingston.

Kickus_assius
12-27-04, 03:54 AM
I have had nothing but good experience with kingston ram. I am using value ram PC2700 running at DDR400 6-3-3-2.5 no problem.

Q
12-27-04, 04:06 AM
I've got 2x512 of the HyperX stuff. While it doesn't cause me any problems, really, Memtest 86 has always produced an error or two if I let it run for a long time. I just never felt like RMA'ing it, as I had just got over an extreme problem with RAM previously. If you think that Kingston was bad...HA!

I forget the name of the company, but its one of those you find at pricewatch... I wanted a gig of ddr 333 (got it about 2 years ago). After struggling to just get it shipped, it finally showed up 3 weeks later to complete my first real system build. I always had problems with that system. It would lock up almost everyday. Sometimes every 10 or so hours....sometimes repeatedly. Being new to computers, I think I tryed everything to fix my rebooting problem. I always questioned the memory, but never knew of programs like Microsoft Mem test or Memtest 86, so all I could do is try running one stick at a time...in different slots...loooooooose mem timings.....ect. Anyways, about 8 months after my system set up, I found Memtest and ran it. Hundreds of errors. Maybe more, I couldnt count them all. I decided to check the memory out physically then.

It had these blue heatsinks on them. I tried to take the heatsinks off before....but they seemed a little tight and I didn't want to damage them. But now I figured that it didn't matter. I had to pry them off with a damn flathead screw driver. THEY HAD DOUBLED SIDED 3M ADHESIVE ON THEM!!! Not the thermal type (if it exsists) but just plain old adhesive...with the lable of 3m still on it, even. So that means that the memory was burning up anyways.....especially since it was rated 266 IN THE FIRST PLACE...and remember...I had been running these at 333 like advertised!

Then the company had the nerve to want to charge me a restocking fee for my fraudulent memory. I really should have gotten a lawyer at that point to take them down...but I was dead broke and struggling through my first semester at college. I really wish that I could remember the name of the company.....but it was some little one as mentioned....which brings me to the point of my novel.

By brand name ram from brand name companies. Kingston will RMA that stuff in a heartbeat.....I urge you to do so!

mustrum
12-27-04, 04:34 AM
Most likely the RAM is just fine. Your mainboard just doesn't like this stick. Look for a bios update. Maybe a new bios fixes this.

Riptide
12-27-04, 08:38 AM
This seems to happen more often than it should. I've got a bad kit from Mushkin and a bad kit from OCZ. A friend of mine also received a bad kit from Mushkin. Now both of those two companies are fairly reputable so WTF.

There were no problems getting any of those bad kits RMA'd but still... lame.

Superfly
12-27-04, 09:03 AM
Both of my Crucial Ballistix kits have been rock solid @ 2-2-2-6 (rated speed), shipping was free and I got them next day 11am!!!!!

Now thats quality product and service.

http://www.crucial.com/ballistix/store/partspecs.asp?IMODULE=BL6464Z402

Fastest s**t I've ever used

superklye
12-27-04, 09:18 AM
yeah, like I said...I will RMA it and Kingston IS really good about RMAing. They'll cross-ship, FedEx 2nd Day so, assuming it goes through today, I'll get it Wednesday and hopefully that'll be alright.

I also forgot about my dad's experience: he bought a 256MB stick, it was bad. He RMAed it and THAT was bad, too. He had to RMA the RMA and finally, he got a good stick.

It really makes me feel helpless and like I can't trust anyone when it comes to RAM now. Everytime I walk away and come back, I half expect my computer to be at the login screen because it just rebooted thanks to hitting a bad sector on the memory. :(

Riptide
12-27-04, 10:26 AM
It's a question of luck IMO. Some people almost never seem to get a bad kit. Others run into several. I haven't quite figured out why luck seems to come and go in streaks yet but that certainly seems to be the case.

Rytr
12-27-04, 10:57 AM
Luck has something to do with it as a particular ram just will work differently on different boards.
I have no idea of how many memory sticks I have purchased but I can say that I have been lucky because most have worked well with only a few sticks finally being determined as being bad.
If I had to purchase ram with no possibility of return it would be Crucial and I am presently not using any Crucial ram nor have I pruchased any lately. My second choice would be Mushkin and both selections are based on the overall quality of their pcb's. That's not to say that others are not as good it just that has been my experience.
While majority in these forums seem to favor Corsair brand, if the other thread is any indication, I think that is one of the very few I have not tried or used. I may give that a try the next go-around. (xmasgrin)

Rakeesh
12-27-04, 11:12 AM
My memory is very noname generic and it is serving me quite well, even while pushed way beyond the mfr spec :D It cost me about half what a corsair stick would have cost me, and it even runs faster and cooler.

I've personally never purchased a bad stick of ram. Then again I never have to worry though, since I always purchase ram at local stores where you can just exchange it if it is bad. Fry's electronics is even better because they honor the MFR's lifetime warranty, so if it ever goes bad you can get it exchanged the same day.

saturnotaku
12-27-04, 11:37 AM
Fry's electronics is even better because they honor the MFR's lifetime warranty, so if it ever goes bad you can get it exchanged the same day.

Do you have to buy their extended warranty to get this perk or does it come automatically when you purchase the memory?

jAkUp
12-27-04, 01:08 PM
I really dislike Kingston, there valueram are way overpriced for what you get.

CL3??!! You can get some Buffalo, or Corsair with a CL2.5 for cheaper. Not to mention my HyperX would never run at its rated speed.

superklye
12-27-04, 01:31 PM
I really dislike Kingston, there valueram are way overpriced for what you get.

CL3??!! You can get some Buffalo, or Corsair with a CL2.5 for cheaper. Not to mention my HyperX would never run at its rated speed.
Yeah, it IS pretty overpriced. Like $90 is the price they'll charge me if I don't send my RAM back to complete the RMA. $90! It was only like $70 on NewEgg, but still. Yeesh.

$n][pErMan
12-27-04, 02:20 PM
I got 2 sticks of Corsair 512mb PC3200 @ CAS 2.5 for about the same price (per stick). I've never used kingstong in my puter, although my friends have never had any problems. I know how you feel though. I have had 3 bad hard drives from Western Digital. One I could not RMA because the warrenty ran out :( No one i know had problems with them and I never have problems with maxtor drives. I guess its the luck of the irish.

Rakeesh
12-27-04, 02:22 PM
Do you have to buy their extended warranty to get this perk or does it come automatically when you purchase the memory?

It's automatic. I went in to buy the memory and asked what kind of hoops I will have to go through to get exchanges on the lifetime warranty, seeing as it was a noname brand and I wouldn't know how to contact the mfr. The salesperson told me that fry's electronics will take care of the exchange. Just bring the defective memory to the store and they'll do a direct exchange for some new memory on the spot.

superklye
12-27-04, 02:24 PM
It's automatic. I went in to buy the memory and asked what kind of hoops I will have to go through to get exchanges on the lifetime warranty, seeing as it was a noname brand and I wouldn't know how to contact the mfr. The salesperson told me that fry's electronics will take care of the exchange. Just bring the defective memory to the store and they'll do a direct exchange for some new memory on the spot.
now THAT is sweet. I wish we had Fry's in Milwaukee. :(

saturnotaku
12-27-04, 03:07 PM
now THAT is sweet. I wish we had Fry's in Milwaukee. :(

If you find yourself in Chicago you can go to the Fry's in Downers Grove. That place is a brick-and-mortar geek heaven. And it's right near my back yard, I pass it every day on the way home from work. :D

And thanks Alpha for the heads up. I'll probably just do my RAM upgrade through them once I have the cash for it.

Marcos
12-27-04, 03:46 PM
so you got a bad stick of ram, **** happens.

Riptide
12-27-04, 04:05 PM
Bah. I envy you guys who have access to Fry's. I used to live in the Bay Area and it was such a luxury to be able to go there. Now that I'm 1200 miles away up in the backwoods of the country the best I can do is BestBuy, and a sucky BB at that. Basically any time I want to buy something it's mail order, which ofcourse makes RMA a real fun thing.

superklye
12-27-04, 05:50 PM
If you find yourself in Chicago you can go to the Fry's in Downers Grove. That place is a brick-and-mortar geek heaven. And it's right near my back yard, I pass it every day on the way home from work. :D

So is it like CompUSA only, not ****ty? Or is it more like Milwaukee PC (if you even know what I'm talking about)?

saturnotaku
12-27-04, 07:26 PM
It's far bigger than CompUSA, has a much, much, much better selection of, well...pretty much anything you can think of - hard drives, mobos, toolkits, video cards, electronic components, appliances, DVDs, games, accessories.

superklye
12-27-04, 08:54 PM
It's far bigger than CompUSA, has a much, much, much better selection of, well...pretty much anything you can think of - hard drives, mobos, toolkits, video cards, electronic components, appliances, DVDs, games, accessories.
So it's kinda like NewEgg in retail form?