PDA

View Full Version : My BFG 6800 OC

Senine
12-27-04, 05:15 AM
Well...

I bought a BFG Tech 6800 128 OC card from Best Buy a few months ago and with great anticipation of great graphics I ran home to install it. This is when my problems began. I experienced all the problems mentioned in this forum, freezing, reboots, and pauses in D3D games only....everything else was fine.

I tried everything short of flashing the bios. All different versions of video drivers, bios settings, tweaks....nothing worked. I called BFG Tech support and they finally decided to RMA my card. They told me they would check it out and if the card was defective they would replace it. Well....after a week and a half I got my original card back so apparently there was nothing wrong with it.

I Installed it, booted to windows, installed the 5.10 Nvidia chipset drivers, rebooted....then installed the Video drivers. I got to the Windows splash screen then the screen would go black with a few white pixels in the upper right hand corner. Then I would lose video and the computer would reboot.

Then I would unistall the chipset drivers and leave the video drivers installed and the computer would boot fine. I figureed ok...so I won't use the nvidia gart driver. I proceded to benchmark my card and the scores were worse then my GF 4 Ti4600. I found that my new card was running in PCI mode.

I searched the forums to find a solution, but nothing helped. I finally I removed the heatsink, scraped off the thermal "blankets", and used AS5. Put the card back in and to my surprize everything worked! BUT....after about a week I was back to the old problem of the video and chipset drivers would not play nice together.

After a few days of trying everything I noticed that my card fit kind of lose in the AGP slot, so I took some zip ties and used them to support the card and I found the right tension to get it to work.

So....the cause of my problem could be 2 things....either the AGP slot on my motherboard is defective or the PCB of the video card is. I highly doubt that the PCB of the video card is at fault. So time to order a new MB!

Cooler Master CM Stacker
Athlon 64 3400+ ThermalRight XP-120
Asus K8N-E Deluxe
1 GB OCZ Plat Rev. 2 Ram
BFG Tech 6800 OC 128
OCZ Powerstream 520 PSU

Senine.
(xmastree) (xmassign2 (xmastree) (cheers)

Nutty
12-27-04, 06:30 AM
I got a BFG 6800GT OC 256, a while back, and haven't had a single issue with it.

Was the temperature reported in the driver panel high? Is that what made you change the thermal paste ? My ambient desktop temp is 54 degrees.. Sometimes its cooler, but its quite warm in my flat at the mo.

Senine
12-27-04, 07:38 AM
Yeah I changed it because at idle the card was at 54c and at 75c at full load. Now after I changed to AS5 my idle temps are now 44c and 63 load. My ambient temp at idle is 29c and because of the great airflow in my case i hace never seen it over 34c at load but this is in the winter.

NemesisChild
12-27-04, 10:07 PM
I use to get up around 76c at full load and sometimes over 80c. My problem is that I live in Florida and these are typical temps in hotter weather. However, I have added extra cooling fans and placed a 92mm fan directly above my BFG 6800GT OC. This has helped quite a bit, my full load temp now never goes above 72c.

It could be a problem with your AGP slot, is it possible your securing clip is broken?

Senine
12-28-04, 04:09 AM
It could be a problem with your AGP slot, is it possible your securing clip is broken?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I will have to investigate it further. Right now I am so happy that everything is running stable i don't want to touch it. :p One reason I bought the CM stacker case was because of the 300mm cross flow fan. it really helps to keep things cool. It blows cool air across the whole motherboard. When I finally get my AGP slot problem solved i will finally be able to start to OC my system to see what it will do.

Senine (cheers)