PDA

View Full Version : replaced Shuttle SS51G psu with extenal psu

ynnek
12-27-04, 06:34 PM
Heh, in a fit of boredom and insanity, I replaced the PSU in my Shuttle SS51G with an spare Dell 250W PSU.. Yes, for a while Dell has been using standard pinouts on their PSU's.. and so does Shuttle. One thing I like about this Dell PSU is its incredibly quiet.. when it used to power my 8300, sometimes you honestly couldn't tell if it was on or now.. I've mistakenly powered down my computer many times, thinking that it was off, but in reality, my monitor was just powered down. But out it came when I got my 6800GT for the 8300..

So now I have a PSU that sits on the outside of the Shuttle box, probbaly 1/5th the size of the actual Shuttle itself. lol Temps seems to be just 1 or 2 degs lower, but the noise has been cut back a few notches. The wires of the psu dangle out thru the original PSU opening.. I used masking tape to cover the rest of the old opening up for now.

Actually, now the most annoying noise is the WD's HD I have in there.. I know next time to get a fluid dampened drives next time..

This Shuttle serves as a HTPC, so mobility isn't an issue.. although i have to be extra careful to move it around now.

saturnotaku
12-27-04, 06:51 PM
(w/opics)

ynnek
12-27-04, 07:01 PM
pardon the rats nest behind the tv/stereo.. ;)

Yonkers
12-27-04, 07:03 PM
I am like you and like to tinker with my puter and spare parts but doesn't this defeat the idea of SFF?

ynnek
12-27-04, 07:04 PM
messy setup..

usually I run Beyond TV, with a PVR-250's remote.

when I'm on window desktop like that, I use my work laptop as a remote via VNC

Sound steup is the Onkyo HTS-770.. 6.1 surround.... The PC is hooked up via Optical SPDIF.

ynnek
12-27-04, 07:04 PM
yup. If I can do it over again, I would have gone with a normal mid or minitower to reduce noise.

I am like you and like to tinker with my puter and spare parts but doesn't this defeat the idea of SFF?