PDA

View Full Version : I think I might have it. 6600 GT AGP

Doc Holiday
12-27-04, 09:26 PM
Ok I have been going through all the same problems everyone around here having. Hangup's and very bad FPS.

I did some looking on the HSF on my BFG and found that only 3 of the 4 mem chips were touching the HSF. So I pulled off the HSF and used some AS3 on it to see if that would help. Still only three of the four touching. So what I did was hold the HSF on the card with my Thumb and Index finger. When I did this my FPS in CS:Source Demo went from 10FPS to 80FPS with the same settings.

So I think it's that these card like to be cool. Please check your HSF and see if all the mem is being cooled.

BTW, my finger almost got burned off holding the HSF.

CaptNKILL
12-28-04, 12:14 AM
:wtf:

That is insane. I've never heard of anyone doing something like that. You deserve a pat on the back for figuring that out.

Who would think that physically using your hand to hold the heat sink on would multiply your framerate 8x... damn, im gonna have to try that myself :p

BTW, how much testing did you do? Are you absolutely positive that that works?

Quimby
12-28-04, 01:12 AM
It's kinda like having to have your hand on the antenna to get a good TV picture.

amenx
12-28-04, 04:28 AM
I think it could also be a poor application of the thermal paste to the HS which probably happens a lot in mass production. Its happened to me with a CPU and I took off the HSF and reapplied thermal paste evenly and that reduced the temps considerably. So it may not really be the HS in contact with the mem chips thats reducing the temp, but the HS getting in better contact with the core when you apply pressure on it.

Doc Holiday
12-28-04, 08:24 AM
After more testing I can now get 90FPS on a very regular basis. I know what your saying amenx about the core but from what I can tell by the paste it looks like the core is making good contact.

It almost looks like my card is bent. Now I need to RMA the card and see if I can get one that works.

BTW, I am guessing that the HSF is doing more harm the good on the mem becasue there are many 6600GT's that don't have anything on the mem.

Killgore
12-28-04, 01:16 PM
How did you get your heatsink to touch your memory? There is such a large gap in mine that there is no way to get the heatsink to touch the memory... (XFX)

What temp does your card report in nvidia control panel? Mine sits at 35C idle and up to 50C with load.

Doc Holiday
12-28-04, 02:25 PM
About the same temp wise. I just pinched it with my Thumb and index finger. Just to see if this fixed the problem.

quik_2_win
12-28-04, 05:02 PM
I fixed a great deal of the "stalling" and "low frame rate" issues by replacing the CPU to AGP driver. It would seem that with WinXP SP2, a new driver is installed that causes some of the problems mentioned above. Depending on the chipset on your motherboard, you can d/l and "update" the SP2 driver to the manufacturer specific driver that may help in some areas...
BTW, my 6600GT doesn't offer the temperature tab even with coolbits installed. Does anyone know of a way to enable it? I can't imagine the card has no temperature monitoring...(?)

Killgore
12-28-04, 05:06 PM
I fixed a great deal of the "stalling" and "low frame rate" issues by replacing the CPU to AGP driver. It would seem that with WinXP SP2, a new driver is installed that causes some of the problems mentioned above. Depending on the chipset on your motherboard, you can d/l and "update" the SP2 driver to the manufacturer specific driver that may help in some areas...

Tried it, doesn't fix the this problem.

adpr 02
12-29-04, 02:06 AM
my xfx doesn't touch the memory. at all. I am not getting low fps, or stuttering. maybe the ddr3 doesn't need cooling?