PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drives...

jAkUp
12-28-04, 01:04 AM
What do you think? I have always been a Western Digital fan...

YOGIx213
12-28-04, 01:29 AM
I picked Maxtor because honestly, that's all I've ever used. Don't have much experience with WD or Seagate but heard they're pretty reliable. I've had one Maxtor drive go out on me but that was when I didn't have adequate cooling in my case. Since then, they've been pretty good.

marqmajere
12-28-04, 01:34 AM
I'd say WD or Maxtor, but I just picked up this 160 Seagate and it came with a 5 year warrenty which is very nice so I chose Seagate.

CaptNKILL
12-28-04, 01:44 AM
Well, after all the horror stories I have heard about Maxtor over the years, they have been great drives for me (Quantum too). Ive never had the (dis)pleasure of losing a hard drive and all I have ever used in my machines personally have been Quantum and Maxtor.

I dont think Id recommend anything by WD though... I know things have changed a lot over time, but at my school last year I tested and checked all of the old drives we had in storage for my computer class. Of the 12 dead ones we had (out of about 20 drives that werent already in machines) I think 9 were Western Digital Caviar drives. Pretty scary if you ask me. I dont know if there are more than 5 working WD drives in that whole room out of probably 35.

Most of these are real old (less than 8 gigs.. some as low as a few hundred MB) but still... its enough to make me hesitate before considering anything by western digital.

GlowStick
12-28-04, 02:49 AM
I try to buy WD and Seagates only, Maxtor is HORRRRRIBLE, id never pay money for one ever.

Long story short, 3 maxtors died in 3 months ; )

superklye
12-28-04, 03:23 AM
I've only used Maxtor, but I lost three drives this summer, my boss lost four and one of my roomates lost 2. All within about 2 weeks of each other. It really freaked me out. And the 1 year warranty is such a joke. I voted Seagate because from here on out, I'm taking a 5 year warranty. That is worth any extra cost that may be incurred.

1337_Like_ThaT
12-28-04, 03:39 AM
Honestly, I think it's just a matter of luck to whomever has had harddrives fail on them. I personally have ran quatum fireballs, seagates, maxtors, wd, etc. and have had only 1 drive fail out in years. LOL where as I know people that have had drives go out by the months. I chose WD because Raptors simply pw3n all its competition!

JRepin
12-28-04, 07:44 AM
Well I'm not fan of any company. I just use what is currently the best choice for me and now it has to be Hitachi 7K250 series.

Riptide
12-28-04, 09:32 AM
I prefer Seagate and WD. Seagate is the king of SCSI drives. :)

saturnotaku
12-28-04, 09:56 AM
While I've had my fair share of WD drives fail on me, their RMA policy is excellent so I probably will stick with them. Fortunately, my two current 80 GB drives have lasted quite a long time (going on 2 years for one, 18 months for the other).

r2d2d3d4d5
12-28-04, 09:59 AM
It might be worth pointing out that Hitachi runs/owns most of the IBM HDD business now. All their new drives are coming out Hitachi branded.

Don't really have a favourite manufacturer as I've come across issues with all of them.

My main drive right now is a Hitachi (IBM) and that's been good so far so I guess I'll vote for them.

GlowStick
12-28-04, 10:28 AM
I've only used Maxtor, but I lost three drives this summer, my boss lost four and one of my roomates lost 2. All within about 2 weeks of each other. It really freaked me out. And the 1 year warranty is such a joke. I voted Seagate because from here on out, I'm taking a 5 year warranty. That is worth any extra cost that may be incurred.
You were experincing the normal Maxtor experince, their drives are made to last a month.

CaptNKILL
12-28-04, 10:36 AM
You were experincing the normal Maxtor experince, their drives are made to last a month.
Then mine (and my brother's two maxtors) must be flukes. Ive had mine for 2 and a half years and never had a problem. He has had his D740 (something like that) for 5 years and he has a drive just like mine which hes been using for over a year now.

Personally, I hate hard drives. Something that stores THAT much information shouldnt be so fragile. I wish there was a better way, but I dont think there will be for a VERY long time. I hate buying them because I always have to worry that this will be "the one" that I get that screeches and squeels and loses data then dies on me when i least expect it.

EDIT: Also, Quantum was purchased by Maxtor and all of my previous drives have been Quantum. They have all worked perfectly.

Bluekkis
12-28-04, 12:39 PM
I have never lost a HDD compleatly, although one old (40GB) Maxtor started having startup problems after it got bit heat damage in my old case with poor ventilation (no case fans). It's still running in my secondary computer though, although sometimes I have to reboot through bios in order to get it running.

I still have 2 operational maxtors (several years old), one I replased today with my fisrt segate, as I'm abandoning ATA interface for HDD's.

I would vote both samsung and segate, for having reliable and silent drives. As samsug isn't on the list, my vote goes to segate. =)

SH64
12-28-04, 01:49 PM
Maxtor .. WD isnt bad either !

|JuiceZ|
12-28-04, 02:53 PM
Maxtor are teh sucketh.

In my experience, Seagate & WD hdds have been the best performing, most quiet and reliable drives I've owned. Out of the two, Seagate tops because I've never had to send one of them back and they also come w/ a 5-yr warranty.

ynnek
12-28-04, 03:17 PM
never had a maxtor drive go bad on me, since I can remember.. TWo them are still in use, for 6+ years in fact! My old college computer, that my fiancee uses now for surfing.. 4 of those years it was left on almost 24/7.. serving from a linux box to countless hours of Q2CTF..

I don't have any problems using Maxtor.

Had a few WD's go bad years ago, just like what CaptNKill said, so I stayed away from WD for a while.. and watched a buch of seagate SCSI's go bad, although they were all covered by warranty.

A WD I have has been in my HTPC, spinning 24/7 for over an year now, in more or less constant use in Shuttle. Still is going, although a bit noisy (its not fluid dampened).. so that restored my faith in WD..

T.h.o.m.a.s.
12-28-04, 03:57 PM
i have two raptors ( 74Gb )in raid0 , xp boots vewwy fast , about 15 seconds
and two maxtors maxline III ( 300Gb ) in raid 0 , for storage

my retro game pc ( voodoo2 ) has a 80Gb seagate , that's one silent disk (rudolf)

Bluekkis
12-28-04, 05:05 PM
i have two raptors ( 74Gb )in raid0 , xp boots vewwy fast , about 15 seconds
and two maxtors maxline III ( 300Gb ) in raid 0 , for storage

my retro game pc ( voodoo2 ) has a 80Gb seagate , that's one silent disk (rudolf)

I'm booting from single 160GB samsung sata drive, and windows boots for me in about ~10-20 seconds =). Though I haven't taken time on it. (load bar goes through about 2-3 times). Interesting though, xp loading times droopped considerably for me after reinstall as I switched mobo and graphics. So either ati or via drivers have tendency to slowdown boot... If I remember correctly, installing ati driver used to increase load time 2-3 times =P.

NemesisChild
12-28-04, 07:57 PM
I never had a single problem with Western Digital hard drives.

IMO, they're the best for the money.

Slyder
12-29-04, 01:13 AM
Maxtor all the way. Never had a single problem with any of there drives.

T.h.o.m.a.s.
12-29-04, 03:36 AM
I'm booting from single 160GB samsung sata drive, and windows boots for me in about ~10-20 seconds =). Though I haven't taken time on it. (load bar goes through about 2-3 times).

my loadbar goes once (cheers)
hd tach speeds are 100MB average and 200 burst (xmassign)